Genesis Class in Port Canaveral???

Just saw the same story on another local station. They said Port Canaveral is preparing, but no home port has been announced yet. I think PC will push for it, since it brings HUGE business here in Central FL...They said it will be launched or announced in 2009...Can PC handle Independance now with the way it is?? That would be cool!

Independance is doing the summer in Southampton and then home porting in FLL, or so the PR from RCI stated last week.

As for PC, by far the easiest port to cruise from, the OP was on the Mariner cruise #12, so like Miami with Freedom, it may have taken PC some time to adjust to the big ships. Sailed her twice and SOS many times and never had a problem.

Just returned off the Mariner yesterday. Was told by our waiter and a senior officer that the Independance will be based in Port Canaveral.

No, I dont know where the Mariner is going :) .

From RCCL web site:

Independence of the SeasSM is set to become the third in the spectacular Freedom class of ships. Upon her May 2008 debut in the United Kingdom, she will be the largest ship ever to be home-ported in Europe. Guests across the globe will have access to the same amazing onboard innovations offered by our other Freedom-family ships, as well as a variety of exciting European itineraries to choose from.

Here is the press release that was posted on another thread on this board.

MIAMI, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Royal Caribbean International today announced plans to deploy Independence of the Seas - the third in its new Freedom class of ships - in the United Kingdom, when she debuts in May 2008. Sharing the title of the largest, most innovative cruise ship in the world with sister ships, Freedom of the Seas and the soon-to-be-launched Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas will be the largest ship ever to be home-ported in Europe.

"This significant step is part of the company's strategy of international business development and expansion into emerging and high-growth cruise markets," said Richard Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., at a press conference in London today. "We have already seen tremendous growth of the cruise industry in Europe. This year, 21 percent of the capacity of our three brands combined - Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Pullmantur - will be in this market. Bringing this new generation of megaships to the United Kingdom will further develop our global operations and reinforce cruising as an enticing vacation option for travelers to the region."

Currently under construction in Aker Yards in Turku, Finland, Independence of the Seas will be delivered to Royal Caribbean in May 2008 and will feature the line's signature innovations including the FlowRider® surf simulator, the H2O Zone water park, an ice-skating rink, a rock-climbing wall and a boxing ring. The 3,634-guest cruise ship will sail the 2008 summer season from Southampton, United Kingdom.

"Our decision to base the newest and most exciting ship in Southampton will offer our guests an easy, convenient and affordable way to see several legendary European landmarks and exotic destinations without having to repeatedly unpack their suitcases," said Adam Goldstein, president, Royal Caribbean International. "The amenities available onboard Independence of the Seas will give a fresh face to cruising in the market providing guests with a variety of options to create their own unique adventure."

Following a series of preview sailings in Oslo, Norway; Hamburg, Germany; and Southampton, U.K., Independence will embark on her maiden voyage in mid- May 2008, alternating 14-night 'Mediterranean Treasures' and 'Italian Mediterranean' itineraries. Ports of call for the 'Mediterranean Treasures' itinerary include Gibraltar, UK; Barcelona, Spain; Nice, France; Florence/Pisa, Italy; Sardinia, Italy; Lisbon, Portugal; and Malaga and Vigo, Spain. Guests on the 'Italian Mediterranean' cruises will experience the destinations of Gibraltar; Cannes/Monte Carlo, France; Florence/Pisa, Rome and Sardinia in Italy; Seville and Vigo, Spain; and Lisbon, Portugal.

Guests can also enjoy two four-night getaways from Southhampton to Cork, Ireland and St. Peter Port in the Channel Islands. Three 11-night Canary Islands itineraries, also roundtrip from Southampton, will round out the fall season, calling in Madeira, Portugal; Tenerife, Canary Islands; Las Palmas, Gran Canaria; Lanzarote, Canary Islands; and Vigo, Spain. Independence then heads to the Americas for a series of warm weather Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings, roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Bookings for the European itineraries will be open for sale on March 14.

Independence of the Seas will join a long list of Royal Caribbean ships in Europe. In the summer of 2007, six ships - the highest number ever for the cruise line - will sail European itineraries stopping in 63 ports of call in Europe alone. Navigator of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas will sail from Southampton and Harwich, England, respectively. In Spain, Voyager of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas will be Barcelona-based. Legend of the Seas will homeport in Rome and Splendour of the Seas will sail from Venice, Italy.

Wonder if this could lead to a Saturday and a Sunday ship in Port C -- our very favorite port. And I concur with OP who have written about the ease -- in and out of this port.

You mean like the Carnival Glory and Disney Magic on Saturday and the RCI Mariner and Disney Wonder on Sunday?

I can't imagine anything worse then a huge ship like the Genesis class at that port. The single access road in and out of there is terrible. The lines of cars, vans, and busses waiting to into there is one of my worst cruise memories ever. I have sworn I will NEVER cruise out of there again, unless MAJOR improvements are made to the port.

UUUGGGHHH!!!!

I do think you need to try Pt. Canaveral again. It is sooooooooo easy to get in and out. Our last cruise we got there at 11 and were on the ship before noon.

I had heard a year or so ago that the 3rd ship of the Freedom class (Independance) would be sent to the port and Mariner would be gone. If that's the case, I will certainly miss her. Wish she and another ship both could be there, but that's dreaming.

I know that the news shows Independance will go to Ft. Lauderdale, but I am wondering if that is because the port now can't handle Freedom class or without a doubt Genesis class. It will be interesting.

We live close to the port and love sailing from Pt. Canaveral. We will go to Pt. Everglades, but driving to Miami is awful. Way too much confusion down there. Oh well, we will have to wait to see what happens.

Katie

I have nothing to compare to since we only go out of Port Canaveral; but seeing what goes on at the New York City piers every embarkation day I will stick with Port Canaveral unless it is only a Genisis class ship that will be there. Living in a big city makes me NOT want to vacation on a floating one. Just my point of view!! Take it for whatever it is.

Either ship will be just fine.....Change is a good thing. I think the Genesis class ships will be SO big that u wont notice the amount of people on board kind of like Voyager class where passenger to space ratio just makes it that way. Good news for us here in Central FL!

Genesis is said to hold 5400 double occupancy and is 220,000 GRT for a space ratio of 40.7. Freedom holds 3600 dobule occupancy and is 158,300 GRT for a space ratio of 43.97 or about 8% bigger than Genesis. Voyager holds 3114 double occupancy and is 138,500 GRT for a space ratio of 44.5 which is about 9.33% bigger than Genesis. So not only does Genesis hold more people, it has less room per person. Not a good combination in my opinion.

Do you guys really think the Genesis class ships will sail full? I personally cant picture that many people traveling at the same time on the same boat...I mean i have never had the problem that i wasnt able to book the cruise i wanted on the day that i wanted..I also book pretty far in advance- usually nearly a year- about 8 months this time around.

I think they will have alot of cancelled dates since they wont be able to fill the ship up more than half...maybe i am wrong..

I think that these HUGE ships may be RCCL's downfall...

I would consider sailing on one of the Genesis ships....by my planning, it would possibly debute near the time we want to marry....but to me, its not the boat ya travel on, its the places you go...

We've done Port Canaveral for Sovereign, Wonder and Magic, and Port Everglades for Enchantment and Radiance, and Miami for Radiance. We'll never go out of Miami again--so DS (11) will not get to go on a Freedom class ship unless some changes are made. So Independence to FLL would be welcome. Love Port Canaveral, and can drive their easily, so if they want to stuff a jumbo ship in there, I'd give it a try. I too worry about the tendering process for a genesis class ship, not being able to dock because too big and then how long would tendering take...so I have a feeling if I go Genesis it will be the ship itself that would be my destination.

Personally, I don't care where they base the Genesis, as I don't plan to ever cruise on it. Way too many people for me.

JMHO

I agree .... may be an accident waiting to happen. It's just TOO big! :D That will leave more room on the Radiance class for me.;)

This monster & the others will make cruise planning even more difficult--have to avoid the ports they are going to...Freedom got our port berth in Cozumel so our ship had to tender-- we just decided to stay on board. Too many people too little land. How can they board, disembark, feed & deal with the needs of so many people on the new ship---my wish is that they go to the ports I already dislike--

I think from this news article and others that I read from earlier this year that PC is preparing for a lot of options. Of course, my first priority would be a Saturday AND a Sunday ship (Voyager or larger) from PC. our favorite port and we love Mariner!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be suhweet if they'd put independence in PC.:) Perhaps PC is upgrading their port so they can be in the running to get IOS.

But, with Orlando being so close it may be to get the Genesis... which more than likely will be a cruise to no where since its so large with so many people.:(

Genesis is said to hold 5400 double occupancy and is 220,000 GRT for a space ratio of 40.7. Freedom holds 3600 dobule occupancy and is 158,300 GRT for a space ratio of 43.97 or about 8% bigger than Genesis. Voyager holds 3114 double occupancy and is 138,500 GRT for a space ratio of 44.5 which is about 9.33% bigger than Genesis. So not only does Genesis hold more people, it has less room per person. Not a good combination in my opinion.

That 40.7 on the Genesis is still better than a lot of ships from RCI's competition in the mass market lines.

NCL Jewel - 2380 passengers, 93,000 tons = 39.07 PSR

Pride of Amerinca - 2138 passengers, 81,000 tons = 37.88 PSR

Carnival Freedom - 2974 passengers, 110,000 tons = 36.98 PSR

Carnival Dream - 3652 passengers, 130,000 tons = 35.59

Caribbean Princess - 3100 passengers, 112,894 = 36.41 PSR

Do you guys really think the Genesis class ships will sail full? I personally cant picture that many people traveling at the same time on the same boat...I mean i have never had the problem that i wasnt able to book the cruise i wanted on the day that i wanted..I also book pretty far in advance- usually nearly a year- about 8 months this time around.

I think they will have alot of cancelled dates since they wont be able to fill the ship up more than half...maybe i am wrong..

I would consider sailing on one of the Genesis ships....by my planning, it would possibly debute near the time we want to marry....but to me, its not the boat ya travel on, its the places you go...

Those same comments were said about the Voyager and Freedom class and RCI has not had a problem filling those ships. RCI is going after first time cruisers that would never think about taking a cruise due to being bored. They will fill the Genesis without any problem.

I have to believe that RCI did its homework and believes it can fill the ship. I really don't see RCI investing $800,000,000 (or whatever it costs) without doing some research. Besides, early on, RCI will have no trouble filling the ship. There are lots of people who want to sail on the newest and greatest.

Look at it this way. The ship is the size of two of Carnival's (currently) largest ships (Conquest class - 110,000 GRT each). Yet the ship will have only one captain, one staff captain, one 1st officer, one 2nd officer, one 3rd officer, one doctor, one cruise director, one hotel manager, one chief engineer ... you get the idea. RCI has the equivalent of two ships, yet only has to pay for one set of senior staff. Fuel use is based more on how wide a ship is than how long the ship is. So RCI is likely going to use less fuel per person than two Carnival Conquest class ships would.

So as you can see, RCI does stands to save some money based on economy of scale (the bigger it is, the less it cost per unit). The next thing is who knows what surprise RCI is going to add to the ship. On a ship this big, a bigger water park and a mini amusement park are not out of the question. Such and addition might be enough to hook some people who have never cruised before. Making the ship the destination (in other words, less ports) might also be in the plans. Perhaps itineraries where the ship only visits two ports in one week. For example:

Western Caribbean: 1) sea day, 2) Cozumel, 3) sea day, 4) Jamaica, 5) sea day, 6) sea day

Eastern Caribbean: 1) sea day, 2) sea day, 3) St. Thomas 4) St. Martin, 5) sea day, 6) sea day

These itineraries have less port fees than the typical eastern or western Caribbean cruise. They also allow the ship to travel slower, saving even more fuel. And if the people are spending more time on board, then the people have more time to spend money on board.

Now I don't have any inside information, so I don't really know what RCI's plans are. However, as you can see, Genesis could work. Time will tell. Best example I have is I gave my Mom a computer for a present a while back. Her response, "What am I going to do with it?" Well, now she has two computers. So apparently she found a good use for it (though neither computer is hooked up to the Internet).

So, all we can do is wait and see.

Hopefully they willl eventually put one of the freedom class ships on the west coast...I am a bit leery of Genesis...we will be on Liberty in May an are on the fence about a ship with that many people...Genesis is significantly bigger than that. I love RCCL but how big can you possibly go and still offer good service and enough public space

That 40.7 on the Genesis is still better than a lot of ships from RCI's competition in the mass market lines.

NCL Jewel - 2380 passengers, 93,000 tons = 39.07 PSR

Pride of Amerinca - 2138 passengers, 81,000 tons = 37.88 PSR

Carnival Freedom - 2974 passengers, 110,000 tons = 36.98 PSR

Carnival Dream - 3652 passengers, 130,000 tons = 35.59

Caribbean Princess - 3100 passengers, 112,894 = 36.41 PSR

Yes, I agree, a space ratio over 40 is good. But combined with the equivalent of two ships worth of passengers, I would like to see a space ratio closer to 45, or about 10% bigger. The reason is, with this many people, lines are going to be the rule. The only way to cut down on lines is to offer so many choices that no one area gets crowded. So as you go past 2000 people, it is important, in my opinion, to start increasing the space ratio (look at Voyager and Freedom). I have been on both the Carnival Glory (same class as the Carnival Freedom noted by you) and the Carnival Pride (a Spirit class ship). The Spirit class has a space ratio of over 40 while the Conquest class (Freedom, Glory ...) is about 37, as you noted. And, not surprising, the Pride felt less crowded than the Glory.

I am not saying that I would not cruise on the Genesis. Just that I have been looking forward to my cruise on the Freedom since May 2006 (I have just under 100 days to go). However, I currently am not interested in booking the Genesis. We will see how I feel in 2009.

Archived