What have you forgotten to take?

Forgot my 14 yo DD's shorts on our Carib cruise last month!

We were in FLL for 2 days pre-cruise, but it was so cool, she never looked for them in the luggage.

Nothing on-board that she would wear and was in her size. Promised to buy her some in our first port -- but it was cancelled bc we couldn't tender!

Finally, got her shorts in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman!

I felt so guilty -- she made do with a couple of little skirts she had and a borrowing from a family member who was with us.

Last year I cruised with the girlfriends on the QM2. We AGONIZED for months over our formal wear since this was supposed to be such an upscale ship (but that's a whole other story), and we were supposed to have 2 formal nights on a 3 night cruise.

Get to our cabin with 5 minutes to spare before the muster drill (another whole other story about how it took us 5 hours to board) and then dinner, and when we got back to the cabin and started to unpack I realized I had forgotten my sparkly top for formal night.....the Black and White Ball to be specific. I was ready to shoot myself! When we checked out the shops on board, the LEAST expensive nice top was $140!!!

Oh, did I mention that I am an avid list maker, and that formal top was on the list and checked off because I had pressed it and DID pack it on my trial run, but had hung it up again so it wouldn't wrinkle.

So I was the one at the Black and White Ball (which was stunning to see, BTW) with the black top with a print on it. This was something I hadn't intended to wear but just threw in the suitcase because it didn't take up much room and didn't wrinkle.

I have to say anyone I travel with ALWAYS makes fun of me. I am one of those people that have just about everything with me. I have been caught too many times without things I've needed and like the rest of you just can't find what I am looking for onboard or in the local stores. So I have a small suitcase that is just for stuff like that. Yes its a bit crazy but I've never been caught since and usually have used everything I've brought at one time or another....... Now about that duct tape ..... See and people thought there was no reason to bring it....LOL :)

<snip

Fourth cruise: Forgot a contact lens case. Didn't realize it until after the shop on the ship had closed for the night... so I used two glasses in the room for holding my lenses that night, then got a new case the next morning. >snip

:)

Theron

If I ever forget my glasses on a cruise. . . . . I will be in BAD shape ! ! I wouldn't be able to read my Cruise Compass ! ! :eek:

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I always forget to book back to back cruises so I can stay on board.

Ha Ha Ha... Even Mrs Radio got a big chuckle from that one ! ! :D

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For me, it was the 9 night Jewel repositioning cruise from Boston to FLL in Oct 04. I had a wicked migraine the morning we left, and couldn't pack, so DH packed for me- only 1 pair of shorts for the whole trip.

For DH, we sailed in Nov 06, but he forgot that jeans were not allowed in the dining room, so we found a Kmart in St. Thomas and bought a pair of slacks.

Hawaii 2001...DH forgot to pack every single pair of shorts that he had laid out to take. We had a 2 day pre-cruise package and he didn't realize his mistake until we began unpacking some of our things at the hotel. Luckily, we had a rental car and it was easy for us to go shopping. We ended up paying around $200 for enough shorts to last him for our 10-day cruise.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread since I just returned from the 7/29 Explorer where I forgot to pack my formal dress. I couldn't believe it because I thought I packed it, but it wasn't there - no matter how many times I checked the closet. I felt like a fool, but since DH had just bought a new suit for the cruise, I wore one of my other dresses and hoped the glitzy shoes would dress it up a bit!

Our recent Granduer cruise my DH forgot his tie for formal night. Luckly we were in NI when we realized it s we were able to purchase a replacement. Funny part is we also ended up getting him a new tux jacket as well!

It seems that I have a thing where I must forget one thing on every cruise! This is not a good thing to have, but I guess so far I have been able to recover fairly well.

First cruise: Forgot my ties. Flew in the day before, so had to find a mall and buy a couple.

Second cruise: Forgot my hat. Much harder, apparently I have a fat head, took several hours of shopping before I found a straw hat that fit.

Third cruise: Forgot some fairly important prescription meds. Didn't want to pay the doc on the ship, and not at all sure they would even stock the stuff, but our second stop was at Key West, so I walked to a CVS pharmacy and I was in the computer, so I was able to just get a simple refill!

Fourth cruise: Forgot a contact lens case. Didn't realize it until after the shop on the ship had closed for the night... so I used two glasses in the room for holding my lenses that night, then got a new case the next morning.

It's gotten to the point where I sort of dread waiting until I figure out just what I forgot for this trip! :)

Fifth cruise: Forgot to get some 1s to tip the luggage porters... stopped at a 7-11 on the way to buy a piece of candy to get some change. Ended up not needing the 1s, because my carpool tipped the porters for me! :)

I'm starting to sound pretty scatter-brained! :eek:

Theron

DH forgot to pack dress socks!

Tube socks or no socks??? No socks! But NOT comfortable!!!

On our first cruise (well, his first) we pre-planned so much out of excitement that we brought probably 50 pounds of stuff we never used.

Bungee cord? Freedom's balconies slide so didn't need it!

And I had enough clothes left over after the cruise, we could live out of our suitcaeses for 3 weeks AFTER returning home!

Didn't need Pepto, but didn't bring it. It's the first thing to go in 7 days!

LIBERTY HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p

My shoes. I decided at the last minute to change into shorts and a t-shirt with sneakers since I knew I'd be running all over when I first got onboard....leaving my nice sandals on the floor at home. I had a pair of not so nice looking sandals in my bag and the sneakers. I am a female with size 12 shoes, no chance I could get any in port. Thank goodness I had a long ballgown for formal night so no one could see my feet. The rest of the nights, I scuffled as fast as I could to the table and prayed no one would look down :o

I did really well until we took the kids on their first cruise (Carnival). We drove to Galveston, had dinner with a friend, getting to the hotel about 10 pm. As we were unpacking the van we discovered our garment bag was missing. Fortunately, I'd been chatting with CC folks and had hooked up with them at the hotel. I left my 3 kids in the care of one of the families whose room was directly above ours, and we headed home (80 mi). That's not that far, except we had to take a ferry, so that added an extra 30 min on the way home. We got the bag and headed back. By that time the ferry was running only once an hour, and we pulled up right after it left our side. We fell asleep waiting in line and made it back at 4:00 a.m. While we were at home I remember grabbing a couple of other small things, but I should've been grabbing the blow dryer that I intentionally did not pack. All ships have those, right? WRONG! The 2nd night I had to go crawling back to the same woman and ask to borrow hers. I was too embarrassed to admit I didn't pack it and just said it wasn't working. Well, no, it wasn't working, because I couldn't reach the switch to turn it on back in TX.

I forgot my ladies razor on my last cruise, ran to the general store on the promenade and they only sold the cheapy disposables. I tried really hard to do the leg shaving in the teeny shower :eek: I cut my legs to pieces. Couldnt wait to get off the ship at Gibraltar and spent nearly three hours going in and out of chemists trying to find a good quality ladies razor.

Never again will I leave packing to the last minute!!!! :)

Chubbas XX

I forgot a warm winter coat and a snow shovel so that I could dig my car out from under 12 inches of snow in the airport parking lot this weekend. You should have seen me in my sandals and skirt trying to dig through a snow mound with a snow brush!!! Well, at least I was home, luckier than many trapped at airports.

Dittos, even my PAWS got frozen.

Eye make up remover. I have the best husband in the world who goes to look for me. I have forgotten it twice now and luckily both times, the cosmetics shops had good brands that were only 1-2 dollars more than usual.

Didn't actually forget this item but had not taken it as dh always gives me a little flack for all the 'extras' I take.........I did not pack the dental repair kit and lo and behold, YUP a cap fell off......so now, don't care about his complaining,....I pack ALL my extras as usual and duct tape too!!!!.....ya just never know when you need something.....

We sailed first class transatlantic on the QE2 some years ago. It was a very dressy cruise. I didn't think that I could wear a silk chiffon cocktail dress, because I had forgotten my strapless bra. My husband, who always carries duct tape, came to my rescue. He taped me up, and I never looked better in that dress.

Ginnie

mY DON'T YOU LOVE THAT dUCT TAPE LOL

A member of our party forgot his DJ, had the trousers but no jacket on a 17 day cruise!

My DH always takes a white DJ and a black, so lent the guy one for each formal 4 in all! Swapping them over each time

The trouble was DH was the one that had to go do the delivering and retreiving! The cheek of the man lol!

On our 2nd Cruise I forgot Nylons and the shops had only White and Black, no tan. The dress I had on wasn't long enough for Knee Highs. It was a formal night so didn't want to wear slacks. It made for an uncomfortable evening, was glad to get back to room and change afterwards.

Aw let em add to previous Post, I had packed my White Tennies in my Carry on. We get to Ft Lauderdale and discovered in the room Pre Cruise they were not there, DH swore I didn't pack them, I argued I did. Next AM, Cab fare to Target, + new Tennies = $ 25 give or take. Now we are on board , unpacking and guess whats in my DH suitcase, Yep my Tennies, he had moved things around. Now I had 2 White Tennies. Needless to say I told him to say out of my Carryon. :D

Archived