Expecting Too Much or a Bad TA?

As You Wish

I don't want to bash TA's or start a "are PVP's or TA's better" debate, but I'd love to get some experienced opinions on this. I have been on two previous Carnival cruises and booked both through travelocity. For my upcoming cruise, I selected a TA based on a few recommendations, and I guess I was expecting prompter service than what I'm receiving from her. After getting her quotes, I emailed her with the exact ship, date, cabin # (...all of the necessary info) I wanted, so all she had to do was run my cc for the deposit. She got back to me the next day with the booking #, and said I'd done more than half her job for her. I was quite happy with her turnaround. Since then, I've contacted her about booking a 2nd cabin and after receiving no reply by the following business day, had to contact her a 2nd time. She did reply to me the following day. I sent her all of the booking info late Friday afternoon, including top 3 choices of cabins. Five minutes ago (Tuesday about noon), she sent me an email and had just booked the 2nd cabin; however, the cabin # she booked was not one I requested:confused: . I checked Carnival's site, and at least 1 of the cabins I requested is still available. She also stated in the email that if I notify her of a drop in Carnival's rates prior to final payment, she "will try to honor the drop if the cruisline allows it." Her email prior to my booking had said she would refund any drops in price prior to final payment and after that she may be able to provide OBC if cruiseline permits.

My question is should I be expecting more from her especially since all she needed to do was run my credit card? I also expected that she would talk to me about airfare options and travel insurance, but she hasn't brought up either. Since I plan on booking a 3rd and probably 4th cabin in the next week, should I cancel with her and take my business elsewhere or is this a case of me having higher than reasonable expectations. I realize that I'm not the most patient of people, especially when I'm so excited about getting all the cruise details in order. What do you think?

I don't want to bash TA's or start a "are PVP's or TA's better" debate, but I'd love to get some experienced opinions on this. I have been on two previous Carnival cruises and booked both through travelocity. For my upcoming cruise, I selected a TA based on a few recommendations, and I guess I was expecting prompter service than what I'm receiving from her. After getting her quotes, I emailed her with the exact ship, date, cabin # (...all of the necessary info) I wanted, so all she had to do was run my cc for the deposit. She got back to me the next day with the booking #, and said I'd done more than half her job for her. I was quite happy with her turnaround. Since then, I've contacted her about booking a 2nd cabin and after receiving no reply by the following business day, had to contact her a 2nd time. She did reply to me the following day. I sent her all of the booking info late Friday afternoon, including top 3 choices of cabins. Five minutes ago (Tuesday about noon), she sent me an email and had just booked the 2nd cabin; however, the cabin # she booked was not one I requested:confused: . I checked Carnival's site, and at least 1 of the cabins I requested is still available. She also stated in the email that if I notify her of a drop in Carnival's rates prior to final payment, she "will try to honor the drop if the cruisline allows it." Her email prior to my booking had said she would refund any drops in price prior to final payment and after that she may be able to provide OBC if cruiseline permits.

My question is should I be expecting more from her especially since all she needed to do was run my credit card? I also expected that she would talk to me about airfare options and travel insurance, but she hasn't brought up either. Since I plan on booking a 3rd and probably 4th cabin in the next week, should I cancel with her and take my business elsewhere or is this a case of me having higher than reasonable expectations. I realize that I'm not the most patient of people, especially when I'm so excited about getting all the cruise details in order. What do you think?

well, we discussed this issue a bit ad naseum in the other thread, but i'm surprised she booked a cabin other than one you specified. if you are paying the extra $ for a cabin assignment i believe it's incumbent upon the TA to get approval of the cabin.

if the 3 you preferred were no longer available (the carnival public site might not have caught up), then she shld have phoned you to let you know what was available.

and, no, i'm not a TA, just another cruiser like you. what she did was not correct IMO. you were paying for a cabin assignment, after all. thus, the decision was yours alone.

If they prices are the same as when you booked, I'd be tempted to drop the TA. It may only get worse once the final payment is due.

I had issues with a TA several years back and now I only book direct.

(I also have control issues, but that's another topic:rolleyes: )

"One bad apple will spoil the whole bunch"

I don't think your expectations are too high, you just have a bad TA. If a client had called me with all the info you provided, including CC info, I would have had the reservation and deposit made and a confirmation in the mail before the end of business, on the day you contacted me. Additionally, if the cabin/s you requested were not available, she should have contacted you before booking a different cabin.

TA's like this are what give the majority of us hard working TA's a bad name.

As you wish,

I don't think you are expecting too much at all. When I found the TA I use for all my cruise travel she vowed that she would work hard to make me a satisfied customer. She is always on top of things when it comes to price drops or any other matter that I have. She always checks and gets back to me in what I consider an acceptable amount of time, which is very prompt.

The bottom line is I trust her completely.

There are many travel agents out there that I'm sure would be happy for your business and would work hard to earn it. So if you are less than satisfied I would "shop" around. In the end when you spend so much money on a cruise vacation you should feel like your TA has done a great job for you.

Good luck,

Jodi

Do you really expect her to credit your cruise if Carnival doesn't. Many times the drop in fares are FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY or other limitations. Most of us understand this. The only problem I see is the second cabin selected for you. She may have seen the availabity of a more desireable cabin than your list. Call her and ask why she booked that cabin over your choices. After 19 cruises I still use a travel agent for my bookings and will never book direct with any cruiseline.

Do you really expect her to credit your cruise if Carnival doesn't. Many times the drop in fares are FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY or other limitations. Most of us understand this. The only problem I see is the second cabin selected for you. She may have seen the availabity of a more desireable cabin than your list. Call her and ask why she booked that cabin over your choices. After 19 cruises I still use a travel agent for my bookings and will never book direct with any cruiseline.

i disgree w/ this. it's not her (the TA's) call to choose the cabin unless the client tells her to. as i'm sure you know, you have to pay extra for a cabin assignment.

if the client is paying for a cabin assignment, the choice of cabin shld be the clients -- not the TAs.

Regarding the cabin assignment, I agree that maybe should should have spoken with you first.

Regarding air travel and insurance,,, well,,, from all the information you provided to the TA regard exactly what you wanted, it would be easy to assume that you are an experienced traveler and that you already had your air and insurance takin care of through other avenues.

Are you expecting too much??/ yes and no, they're only fellow human beings trying to earn a living like you and I.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I did hear back from the TA about the cabin assignment, and she said the 3 cabins I requested were not available this afternoon when she went to book the cruise. All 3 showed up as available on Friday when I sent her the booking info, but now it's 4 days later:( . After I heard from her, I checked on Carnival's site and one of the cabins I requested still showed up as available. I'm starting to think she's just not on top of things.

klfrodo, I see what you mean about the TA assuming I already made air and insurance arrangements, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Do you really expect her to credit your cruise if Carnival doesn't. Many times the drop in fares are FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY or other limitations. Most of us understand this.

--I asked the TA before I booked whether or not she would honor any drops in Carnival's prices prior to my sail date, and she emailed me that she would refund any drops prior to final payment, but after that she may or may not be able to give OBC. So, to answer your question, yes I do expect her to honor her written word and provide a credit if the price drops before final payment, otherwise she'd be guilty of making false claims to get my booking.

I think I will shop around a little to see if I can find comprable rates going through Carnival or a different TA.

well, we discussed this issue a bit ad naseum in the other thread, but i'm surprised she booked a cabin other than one you specified. if you are paying the extra $ for a cabin assignment i believe it's incumbent upon the TA to get approval of the cabin.

if the 3 you preferred were no longer available (the carnival public site might not have caught up), then she shld have phoned you to let you know what was available.

and, no, i'm not a TA, just another cruiser like you. what she did was not correct IMO. you were paying for a cabin assignment, after all. thus, the decision was yours alone.

I used a new TA this time on the Carnival booking and had a #1 choice, and a #2 choice. She booked the #2 choice and gave me no explanation. If it had been my first choice I would have said so. After I called her long distance she said there was a glitch on the Carnival site and she couldnt book the first choice, but I thought she should have told me that when she sent the booking. She was able to change it. I had to stay on top of her.

Archived