Captain Rune Lockling

I am sure many of you know this crazy, comical Norwegian Captain who is cureently on the Radiance. My question is, does anyone know what ship he is going to next? We may be sailing in September and I would love to know where he will be at that time. He did tell us he was leaving the Radiance in a few months but I cannot recall which ship he said he was going to. Thanks!

Oh man he is a riot! We had him on our 14 night Hawaii cruise on the Radiance last fall. I don't think he stays on the Radiance for the summer Alaska runs. I think it was Hernan Ziti last year. He came back on the Radiance I believe in Los Angeles, end of September when we sailed to Hawaii.

We just got off the Radiance from a b2b and we really enjoyed Capt Rune. His daily announcements were always a source of humor. We always stopped whatever we were doing to listen and try not to miss a word. Our first morning in the dining room for breakfast he came over to our table (me and DH) to talk with us. He was hilarious especially when he said things like we were out in the middle of nowhere. The day he made the cake was so funny, words could not descibe. It is something NOT to be missed. A pastry chef, some one from the audience and Capt Rune each have a chocolate cake to slice and fill with whipped cream, liquor and cherries. He had whip cream everywhere. He tossed whip cream at his oponent and threw cherries at many people. Holding the wisk between his knees he placed a bowl of whipped cream on some one's lap and whipped it. So funny!

Capt Rune is leaving for vacation and will be back onboard for the Sept 14th members cruise. We are cruising in June and September and he told us that he would miss us in June but would be there for the members cruise. We have never had a captain like him and really look forward to sailing with him again.

July of 2005 we first sailed with Captain Loekling on the Sovereign of the Seas not long after she was redone in drydock as chronicled on the Discovery Station. On the Sovereign he was known to the crew as Captain Shebang because of his fondness for using the expression "and the whole shebang". We were on his last sailing on the Sovereign and his send-off show in the theater was wonderful.

Captain Zini was master of the Radiance when we sailed to Alaska later that month.

Now I'm doubting that I have my dates exactly right. Regardless, both of these fine fellows are quite entertaining! :D

Leslie

We loved Cpt Rune too - we were on the same cruise as cruzingduo - the cake decorating was SO FUNNY. My husband and I were wondering what other captains thought of his antics. On all our other cruises the captains have been fairly humorless and only appeared on formal nights. Their midday progress reports were informative, but very subdued. I never knew a captain could make a difference - but he does. He has only been with RCCL since 1999. We went to his "ask the captain" hour on the last day and that was excellent - a mixture of humor and good information about the ship-boat (as he refers to it). The two officers with him were obviously happy to listen to him teasing them.

Archived