Involuntary Cabin Change

Hi,

I've noticed some threads here where people have been moved from their cabins because they had double occupancy in a cabin that could fit more than two occupants. My impression from these threads is that RCI can give a larger party your cabin and switch you to a double in the event that the cruise is full and they cannot otherwise accomodate the larger party.

I am booking a 2008 summer cruise out of NJ for 12 people, and we planned to try to book 3 adjacent aft balconies for 3 couples, and 3 inside cabins close to the balconies for our kids (2 kids per cabin).

However, I am now concerned that one or more of us could get bumped since the cabins we want all have sofabeds, and can accomodate more than 2 guests.

Is there any way to assure that we won't be moved if we get these cabins? I noticed you can indicate "do not upgrade/move" on your reservation, but it sounds like this doesn't offer much protection. I thought of reserving 3 people in a balcony cabin, then 1 in an inside as single occupancy in order to get around this....however, that method priced out about $650 more per family!!

I have spent hours choosing just the right cabins, and we would love to get (and keep!) the aft balconies. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

We are in the same boat so to speak, as we have a great hump cabin with a huge balcony, that does hold 3 and the kids are across the hall in the inside. We have are reservations linked and it is noted in the reservation (per my request) that we must be near the kids and not to upgrade of move us. Hopefully that works

Surely if they were to move you they would have to move you to a cabin that was at least more costly than the one you booked - I mean some of the cost is based on location so if you have booked a D1 midship, surely they cant move you to a D1 aft......can they?:eek:

Surely if they were to move you they would have to move you to a cabin that was at least more costly than the one you booked - I mean some of the cost is based on location so if you have booked a D1 midship, surely they cant move you to a D1 aft......can they?:eek:

Yes they could, D1's are all the same price it doesn't matter the location if it is the same category. I am in a D1 aft with a huge balcony paying the exact same as someone in a midship D1 with a much smaller balcony. And aft cabins are highly coveted because of the huge balconies.

Okay.....deck wise then. D1's in my experience are NOT all the same price. They vary deck from deck - at least they did when we got a quote last year!!!:confused:

Nope D1's are all the same price, there are also on some ships D2's and D3's as well as E1,2,3's. If it is a D1 it is the same price no matter the floor or the location bow to aft. A D cabin is the same size but then they break it down to the 1,2,and 3's. Make sure when you are comparing cabins you are comparing apples to apples, like D1's to D1's. There can be each of these categories on different floors and different location.

Yes they could, D1's are all the same price it doesn't matter the location if it is the same category. I am in a D1 aft with a huge balcony paying the exact same as someone in a midship D1 with a much smaller balcony. And aft cabins are highly coveted because of the huge balconies.

It's funny how I have read so many times about the aft balconies and how so many want them but when I booked my cruise recently, it is afts that are left. I was able to get a balcony midship but now or at least last I checked, it was afts left. I was happy to get any balcony since this cruise is in June and we just booked a couple of weeks ago. I am second guessing or really twelfth guessing :p whether or not I should switch. We are on the Mariner and I had heard these that are left have a single door so had left them. Not trying to stir trouble just wondering.

I'm not sure what the "single door" reference means, but some people really enjoy aft cabins while others dislike the long walk to the stairs and elevators and the reported vibrations on some ships and prefer to have a cabin in closer proximity to midships and the elevators/stairwells. If you have a preference, make your decision based on that and not on what others may favor.:)

It's funny how I have read so many times about the aft balconies and how so many want them but when I booked my cruise recently, it is afts that are left. I was able to get a balcony midship but now or at least last I checked, it was afts left. I was happy to get any balcony since this cruise is in June and we just booked a couple of weeks ago. I am second guessing or really twelfth guessing :p whether or not I should switch. We are on the Mariner and I had heard these that are left have a single door so had left them. Not trying to stir trouble just wondering.

Just butting in... I've experienced the same phenomenon! I've asked the question of the booking agents and they tell me it's because we CC people are in the know but the average traveler doesn't know about the pros of an aft cabin, just seeing it as a loooong walk from everything (worth it in my opinion, and how else will i burn all those calories :D ? We have 1602 for our summer cruise to the baltics and are thrilled. Be aware though that some aft cabins on some ships (Voyager class???) have view restrictions like numerous poles and posts, I'm told.

I have not been on the Mariner but I had a hump cabin on the Explorer and it was wonderful. With the ship this size I would definitely get the hump for the convenience alone. My aft is on the Brilliance, a smaller ship, so not as long a walk.

Here is a picture of the afts on the Radiance class.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/tyrsam/aftwcabins.jpg

I'm not sure what the "single door" reference means, but some people really enjoy aft cabins while others dislike the long walk to the stairs and elevators and the reported vibrations on some ships and prefer to have a cabin in closer proximity to midships and the elevators/stairwells. If you have a preference, make your decision based on that and not on what others may favor.:)

I had read that some of the aft cabins, the last on either end, have a french door as opposed to a sliding door. I agree though, we did make our choice based on what we thought would work best for us. Will see, maybe we will try an aft next time, if I can get my DH to cruise again. :)

I have not been on the Mariner but I had a hump cabin on the Explorer and it was wonderful. With the ship this size I would definitely get the hump for the convenience alone. My aft is on the Brilliance, a smaller ship, so not as long a walk.

Here is a picture of the afts on the Radiance class.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/tyrsam/aftwcabins.jpg

I love that you have the cabin numbers on your picture!! Thx.

I totally agree with negc. Since you booked late, it is probable the aft cabins were turned in just prior to or close to final payment. That happened on our cruise a few weeks ago. Suddenly, all of these prized cabins were up for grabs. Some people book and then sit and wait and decide at the last minute if they are going or not.

I love that you have the cabin numbers on your picture!! Thx.

That is not my picture as it was provided by another poster but I did make it my background on my computer so I could see where I will be spending 11 days starting THIS sunday!!!! I have 9260

Just butting in... I've experienced the same phenomenon! I've asked the question of the booking agents and they tell me it's because we CC people are in the know but the average traveler doesn't know about the pros of an aft cabin, just seeing it as a loooong walk from everything (worth it in my opinion, and how else will i burn all those calories :D ? We have 1602 for our summer cruise to the baltics and are thrilled. Be aware though that some aft cabins on some ships (Voyager class???) have view restrictions like numerous poles and posts, I'm told.
Hey, where have you been?

Welcome back! ;)

We had a rear aft on our Alaskan cruise last year and it was absolutely fabulous - large enough to accommodate our group of 8 for before dinner drinks and viewing the sites along the inside passage. IMHO - this would be my first choice.

We booked cabin 8102 on Jewel for our next 12 day cruise to the Baltics. Would love to have had an aft again, but price prevailed for the longer cruise......but looking forward to this new location.

It's certainly my first choice also, I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep it for only two people!! We have a group sailing together, and want to reserve rooms side by side. I wonder how often it actually happens that people have their room switched by RCI? We are going in high season, so that is why we are concerned...

I asked this very question when I booked with RCCL last year for our upcoming Liberty. We originally had 2 connecting cabins on deck 8 but about 4 weeks were touched by the cruise fairy and I snagged 2 side by side AFT cabins!!!!

I know the OP made mention that a lot of AFT cabins were opened on their sailing but I checked off and on for 4 months and finally got 2 side by side on the Liberty!!! The balconies are huge!! I also asked that "no change" be noted regarding our cabins and our reservations are connected. (both of our cabins hold 3 but there are only 2 in each)

As far as the long walk...I figure I don't really have to walk for much of anything else on a cruise. (laughing here now) Try vacationing at DisneyWorld, we are talking some serious walking...holy cow. Its good for the cardiovascular system and for my bad knee so I don't mind. :)

Esmerelda :)

Archived