Small gifts in lieu of monetary thank-you's?

jmk22574

Some time ago, I started reading these wonderful boards to gain just a baseline of knowledge as a first-time cruiser. One topic I wish I had paid more attention to at the time was that of the thoughtful and interesting gifts some cruisers give the crew instead of or in addition to monetary tips. A couple of ideas I remembered were international calling cards and small candy/goodie bags. I was hoping those of you with some crafty ideas on this subject might be willing to offer some suggestions. And yes, admittedly so, I might just feel compelled to "borrow" an idea or two. Thanks in advance! ;)

Actually, what they really want is, well, CASH. They live in tiny little areas and have absolutely no room for cute little souveniers from your hometown. They can get all the food/candy they want. Cash will pay for calling cards - and they can buy the type they actually need to call home.

I agree w/Geri. I have even asked my cabin stewards what they think of the little hometown trinkets or happies that many passengers bring them. They all said, although they appreciate the thoughts, they really, really need the CASH much more. So many of them send most of their money to their families.

As above, their quarters are very small and shared. They have no room and really no need for 'gifts' other than money. One steward told me that he and his roommate had over 300 phone cards between them!

I think most of us now leave the auto tips in place, and then tip a little extra in cash the last evening.:)

Tips are part of their compensation. Their salaries are based on the assumption that they will get a portion of income from tips, so I would not suggest you replace their income with gifts.

Its a nice thought, but in reality anything they need or want they can buy with cash. But trinkets and stuff they don't need or want is wasteful.

Just my thoughts.

Cash, just cash, and nothing else. They don't want phone cards, or trinkets or anything but good old US cash. You could go to the trouble of making something or buying something and it'll just end up in the trash. Hey that rhymes with cash.

If you prepay your tips, when to they know they have recieved it?? Really, how does that work??

On RCI you will get a tip envelope and a voucher that you can leave in the cabin or hand to your waiter, etc. They are paid twice a month, I think, and then can reconcile the vouchers with what they get from the ship (two other reasons to tip in cash are that they get the money immediately and don't have to do any bookkeeping for it).

As for little gifts, that depends. We usually get a bottle or two of wine in our cabin as gifts and sometimes don't drink it (honestly:rolleyes: ). That is always appreciated, in ADDITION TO, not INSTEAD OF, a tip.

If you prepay your tips, when to they know they have recieved it?? Really, how does that work??

The crew members are given a listing of who has prepaid their tips. They also know who has had their tips removed. (How sad that folks actually do that and then not tip at all.):(

Thank you for all the responses. When I read back the original question I posted, I should have clarified that we would never deduct the automatic gratuity from our final bill (however that even works). I've had my own experiences working in the service industry, and it would take a lot to convince me not to leave a tip.....and then I would feel guilty and probably leave one yet. I really was looking for ideas in addition to the automatic gratuity, not in place of. I realize now that I didn't go about asking the question very well in the first place - sorry! We will definitely be offering our thanks via money and not things we think may be cute or fun.

I love these boards, and I can't wait until I can list various cruises I've already been on, not ones I'm hoping to go on......;)

The crew members are given a listing of who has prepaid their tips. They also know who has had their tips removed. (How sad that folks actually do that and then not tip at all.):(

Sorry to ask so much, but when do they find out? Also, can you put a little extra in when you prepay?

Sorry to ask so much, but when do they find out? Also, can you put a little extra in when you prepay?

The prepay is a set amount.

However many people, myself included, are inclined to give more. That extra amount, you should hand to people towards the end of your cruise.

$$$$ should be given. As someone else stated there is no room in their cabins for things you might think is cute. If you want to give extra give them $$$$.

When my DH and I cruised to Alaska this past summer I purchased a prepaid internet card so that I could check my e-mail and take care of some business - I purchased a larger card then I needed due to the difference in price and I purchased this at the first port we came to. When we were done with our cruise I still over two hours of time left on the card. I asked my room stewart if she had any use for the card or knew of any one who could use it. She was more then happy to take it - said she could use it to e-mail her family, of course this was in addition to the cash we gave her.

Some time just asking your room stewart if there is anything they need you can find out and sometime items like books you are finished with are great if your stewart likes to read. I have left many of my books with different service personal - books are expensive and once read trend to be past around and shared - just like between my friends and I.

Debbie

They find out as soon as the tip is removed because their supervisor calls them into his office asking why the tip was removed.. bad service, confrontation, etc. ??? As for prepaying extra? Just hand them the extra tip with a big thank you. As long as you did not remove the autotip, they will get to keep any extra you give.

. I asked my room stewart if she had any use for the card or knew of any one who could use it. She was more then happy to take it.....

Some time just asking your room stewart if there is anything they need you can find out and sometime items like books you are finished with are great if your stewart likes to read.

I have asked my cabin stewards if they want the magazines or paperbacks I've brought with me. They tell me they share them with other stewards.

They get a list of who has and has not prepaid. I leave my tips on the account and on the last day I give extra in cash.

Archived