IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? - QM2 Review

megacruiser

I sailed with friends on the 17-night Three Continents Cruise on April 26th, from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.

Although I have sailed on the QE2 a number of times, my main cruising background is with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL, Holland America, P&O and Princess.

This review is not as comprehensive as I intended, but covers the main points that struck me. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

EMBARKATION

I don’t know if this is the norm, but I noticed that the ship carries portable check-in terminals in large flight cases for processing passengers at the port of embarkation. They are taken off the ship on arrival. Credit card details are recorded, and key cards are produced with the passengers photograph.

On this trip the embarkation procedure seemed to be well organised and the whole procedure was completed within an hour.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

The ship’s exterior is absolutely stunning and I feel she is as beautiful as any modern ocean liner could be, bearing in mind the economic necessity of having lots of balconies. The profile is very well balanced and until you see the ship in person it is difficult to get a sense of scale. She has a very high waistline and I think this makes it difficult to appreciate from a photograph her incredible height. True perspective is gained when other “large†ships are alongside.

The interior depends very much on personal taste. For me, the only kind of “wow factor†derives more from the general sense of scale and spaciousness rather than from any specific feature. Most of the interior décor is rather understated and many regard it as very tasteful. There are a lot of wood laminate finishes, some of which I found realistic and others that reminded me of “melamine†in the sixties.

I do not wish to give the impression that the décor is disappointing because, irrespective of flaws, the whole ship is just amazing. However, there is a rather indefinable synthetic feel, which denies the ship a solid character of its own. Perhaps it is trying too hard to recreate something that cannot be achieved with modern materials and labour costs.

On boarding the ship on deck 2, you enter the main lobby area, which has a warm feel with rich red carpeting, lots of wood effect, attractive plasterwork and cornicing, but compared to other ships it is otherwise rather restrained.

The atrium is not especially large and climbs only from deck two to deck seven. On both decks two and three, the ceilings are much higher than usual and on each floor there is a very broad passageway running from the Royal Court Theatre, forward, through the atrium to the Britannia restaurant, aft. Looking through from one end to the other is quite striking and gives a great sense of spaciousness.

Deck 7 has a wrap-around teak promenade deck. There are traditional wooden steamer type deckchairs lining the length of the deck adjacent to the ships rails. These deckchairs are easily accommodated to the forward part of the ship where the deck is especially wide. Unfortunately, further aft there are numerous alcoves within the King’s Court dining area that protrude onto the deck and also safety equipment, both of which cause narrowing which detracts from what would otherwise have been an extremely impressive feature.

BRITANNIA RESTAURANT

The main dining room is initially very impressive, but within a few days the laminated wood panelling became wearing and looked unnatural to me and not as appealing as elsewhere on the ship. The illuminated glass ceiling can be seen from only from relatively few tables - those in or directly adjacent to the centre section of the room.

Service is very inconsistent with many of the waiters apparently still learning. Having a good, experienced waiter makes a tremendous difference to your dining experience.

The menus have a more European style and are quite imaginative. The choice is slightly narrower than I would have hoped for. Perhaps an extra option at each course, including a choice of hot soups, would improve matters. The soups were all delicious and large bowls are available on request. Otherwise, previous concerns over portion sizes seem to have been addressed.

Although the quality of the beef was sometimes a little disappointing, the food overall was much better than I expected - certainly better than Royal Caribbean and Princess, but not yet up to the standards I have experienced with Celebrity, which is my benchmark for quality. Lobster featured only once and was served with steak and, without doubt, was the best lobster I have ever had on a ship.

For past QE2 passengers, by comparison I felt the food quality was much better than the Mauretania Restaurant and compared favourably with the Princess Grill, but the dining experience certainly did not.

There needs to be a decision taken about music in the restaurant. At the moment the same music is repeated at every meal. Little, if any, thought appears to have been given to the selection of recorded music, and much of it is inappropriate - including the 1812 Overture, which does nothing to help create the proper atmosphere. A live string quartet would be much more appropriate for this venue. If recorded music has to be used, there is no need for repetition.

I am delighted to report that the hackneyed nightly round of waiters singing “Happy Birthday†is not present on this ship. Nor is the tacky Baked Alaska Parade or any other similar tip soliciting performance by the waiters.

PRINCESS AND QUEENS GRILLS

I much preferred the décor and ambience of both Grills to the Britannia Restaurant, although I was not fortunate enough to dine there myself. There are no set seating times and you retain your own table and waiter for all meals. A much superior level of service and a wider choice of food can be expected.

TODD ENGLISH

Due to overwhelming demand, this alternative-dining venue has had to introduce a charge of $30 for dinner and $20 at lunch.

Understandably, attempts are being made to discourage passengers from passing through the restaurant to the Terrace Pool and Bar during dining hours, but I suggest requesting a table well away from this access route.

There has been a lot of hype about this restaurant and perhaps my expectations were too high. The décor, ambiance and service were all absolutely excellent. Although many of the dishes were individually good, I found the overall meal to be too rich.

The Lobster Chowder was very intense in flavour and there was too much. The Butternut Squash Ravioli had a beautiful taste but the portion was enormous and very, very rich. The Short Rib of Beef was melting, as it should be, having been braised for five hours. The accompanying gravy was full flavoured but, after the other food, this dish was rather heavy going. The chocolate dessert was truly fantastic and was the only dish I would wish to eat again.

So when I look back at this dining experience, I am glad I tried it, but I cancelled my second booking.

Comparing Todd English with Ocean Liners on Constellation, both had excellent service, albeit in totally different styles - Ocean Liners being much more formal and theatrical. However the main difference to me was that I enjoyed every dish at Ocean Liners and the overall dining experience was more balanced and satisfying.

I suspect that the current charges will be necessary to control demand on the six-night transatlantic crossing but on longer cruises $20 for dinner and $10 for lunch would seem more realistic. If that were the case I would have given it a second chance and would have chosen much more carefully from the menu.

KING'S COURT

This is a very large area, which has four separate themed food sections, one at each corner. Chef's Galley and La Piazza are located forward and quite some considerable distance aft is The Carvery and Lotus.

At night, parts of this enormous venue are sub divided into sections using screens that are assembled each afternoon. Tablecloths and place settings are laid and waiter service is provided. There is no extra charge unless you choose to dine in the Chef's Galley, which is a smaller section accommodating only around 25 passengers. Here the Chef prepares the meal in front of you in the open demonstration kitchen, and there is a charge of $35, which includes wine. Reservations are essential.

The Oriental food served at Lotus made a nice change from the regular dining room food. The tasting menu with 12 different items was very enjoyable, but no a la carte alternative was offered. Initially it seemed that 12 courses were going to be served but then dishes were grouped together on one plate, so it was actually five courses.

Most passenger’s experience of King's Court will be by day when it is used for buffet breakfast and lunch, when a table can be hard to find. The idea of extended choice sounds good but the problem is that with each section serving different food you have to wander about trying to find everything you want, and at busy times this can be a slow and frustrating experience. So although some of the food is very good, it is almost impossible to have a relaxed meal.

At breakfast La Piazza and The Carvery have egg stations for fried eggs and the omelette of the day. Speciality omelettes were available in the Chef’s Galley.

Freshly made waffles were delicious but they ran out of sugar-free maple syrup half way through the cruise. Oatmeal also ran out and was not available anywhere on board for over a week.

At lunchtime, the Chef's Galley prepares sandwiches and burgers to order. La Piazza has some imaginative salad combinations and the usual sort of pizza and pasta dishes. Freshly carved meats are offered at The Carvery.

However the most popular section for lunch is Lotus, which serves Oriental food. The stir-fries are delicious and passengers stand in line whilst they are freshly prepared. Unfortunately the ventilation system is totally inadequate. The sizzling woks produce a lot of smoke, which permeates the decks above and below, adjacent to Stairway B.

La Piazza is open for late-night snacks serving pizza, pasta, chilli, burgers, fries and the like.

The general consensus is that the whole King’s Court venue needs to be better organised. As the cruise went on, more and more frustrated passengers turned to the Britannia Restaurant for breakfast and, even more so, for lunch. Demand was such that the lower level struggled to accommodate everyone.

One little thing that would be easy to do is to provide napkin-wrapped cutlery with the trays, rather than have waiters laying them on tables.

BOARDWALK CAFE

This is a small inconspicuous canteen situated on the huge open deck space forward of the covered pool on deck 12. It has a very utilitarian feel and seems totally out of place on a ship like this. On entering one feels as if one has wandered into a crew area. The food is the most basic type of pizza, hot dog and burger food, which seems likely to be appreciated only by those who are in a hurry to find a quick snack.

QUEEN'S ROOM

If there is one room that captures the essence of what this ship is attempting to achieve, it is the Queen’s Room. It is a traditional style ballroom an on a truly grand scale with a very high ceiling. The focal point is an unusual semi-circular art deco style bandstand protruding from the rear of the room directly onto the large dance floor, above which two large chandeliers hang from an imposing vaulted ceiling.

This is a quiet elegant lounge for taking afternoon tea but it really comes into it's own when filled with passengers on a formal evening, for example at the Captain’s Cocktail Party or a Themed Ball. The atmosphere is quite unique but not stuffy. It is difficult to imagine another venue that could more closely recreate the grandeur associated with ocean voyages of a bygone era.

An orchestra plays here nightly for traditional dancing. Sadly the room seemed to be underused and the acoustics are bad unless the room is pretty full. The rather plain backdrop to the bandstand seems unimaginative, bland and out of place.

There is one other significant flaw: when people enter or leave the G32 nightclub, noise floods into the Queens Room. A late night comedian’s routine was repeatedly interrupted and at other times blasts of disco music clashed with the orchestra and damaged the atmosphere.

It seems to be a standing joke that this room is difficult to find. The deck plans do not help much. You can either go directly there by going aft to Staircase D and taking the elevator to deck 3. Or you can simply make your way to the entrance to The Britannia Restaurant where there are short stairways port and starboard to level 3 lower. There is a windowed corridor on each side of the ship cleverly wedged between the upper and lower level of the Britannia Restaurant. These corridors are in the void between the ceiling of the lower level and the floor of the highest tier of the upper level, at the sides.

G32

This is the most impressive nightclub I have yet seen on any ship. It is ultra modern, high tech and very tastefully done, with excellent sound and lighting and arrays of plasma screens.

Accessible only from the Queens Room, you enter on the lower level and there are stairways at each side up to the mezzanine level. Here you can simply have a drink and listen to the music, or look down on the action below. On this cruise the average age was over 70 so sadly it was rather underused. However with a younger age group I really feel this would be a first-class venue.

ILLUMINATIONS

This is another unique feature of this ship and more than just a planetarium. When being used for the special shows, the large concave projection screen is lowered over the central section. Only the red, reclining seats in the middle under the dome are used when in this mode.

There are three special shows lasting about half an hour. Of the two shows for adults, “Infinity Express†was much the better being both educational and, through its use of special effects, very entertaining. This is also a children’s show, which I did not see.

This venue is also the ship’s cinema and functions like a second theatre, with lectures, concerts and recitals. I prefer its design to the main theatre. It has traditional individual seating and excellent sightlines.

ROYAL COURT THEATRE

There is a large proscenium stage, which brings the audience closer to the action and makes the theatre feel more intimate. In fact it is rather smaller than one would expect. On the lower level the sightlines are much better than upstairs, which has lots of pillars and obstructed views.

Downstairs, between each long row of fixed sofa-type seating is crammed two rows of movable rotating chairs. This makes it awkward to get in and out of some seats and also means that you can think you have got a good seat only to find someone manoeuvring a chair in front of you.

The theatre has all the latest high tech devices, including a hydraulic orchestra pit that can be raised or lowered on cue and the stage rotates and changes levels in seemingly endless variations.

There is a show each night at 8.30pm and 10.45pm. These are the usual type featuring either a headline act such as a singer, comedian, magician or instrumentalist, or a glamorously costumed production show performed by the ships troupe of singers and dancers. There was a fair mix, some good some bad. Of the three production shows “ Rock @ the Opera†stood out.

COMMODORE CLUB

This surprisingly small observation lounge seems rather plain by day. At night it is transformed. The combination of a talented pianist, subdued lighting and the professionalism of the bar stewards make this a superb venue for a pre-dinner drink. The atmosphere is intimate, very sophisticated and highly recommended.

There is a huge illuminated model of QM2 above the bar, which is stocked with an amazing variety of spirits – well over a hundred bottles all of which have to be removed for storage each night. The Martini and cocktail lists are impressive and the bartenders have the opportunity to show off their undoubted skills.

Draught Becks, Stella Artois and Bass Ale are all on tap. There are no soda guns in this bar, which means if you are having a spirit with a mixer you always get it from a can or bottle, at no extra charge - what a difference it makes to a Gin and Tonic!

GOLDEN LION PUB

This is a large room with high ceilings. It is extremely popular at lunchtime when finding a table can be difficult. Typical "pub grub" such as bangers and mash and cottage pie are served at no extra charge. The fish and chips with mushy peas and tartare sauce are highly recommended.

The actual bar with its traditional barstools, wooden gantries and draught beer taps is very attractive and has an authentic feel, although the décor of the room as a whole lacks the true character of a British pub.

At least there is a good selection of beer on tap at only $3.50 per full imperial pint (20 ounces). These include Bass Ale, Guinness and Boddingtons Pub Draught (this is the only location on board where this beautiful smooth beer can be bought on draught). Lagers include Stella Artois, Becks and Budweiser. There is also the novelty of half-yards of ale, sometimes available on a buy one got one free offer after 9.00pm. A pianist plays here during lunchtime and prior to dinner.

CHART ROOM BAR

This is the main venue for Jazz which was originally intended to be the Commodore Club. It is very elegant in cool pale green colours and very spacious - all the tables are set far apart. I don’t think the wood effect works in this room but the ambiance would be improved if it had only one entrance, instead of three, and was not open plan to the lobby.

CANYON RANCH SPA CLUB

All the latest treatments are available and the general impression is that the standard is high, as are the charges. Use of the beautiful Aqua Therapy Centre is included with most spa treatments or can be purchased for a charge of $25 per day ($19 on port days), and there are three-day and five-day packages available at $49 and $79 respectively, but these days must be taken consecutively.

The thalassotherapy pool features the usual neck fountains and (new to me) a “deluge waterfall†which was fantastic. At one end it has a submerged airbed where you can stretch out and be massaged by vigorous bubbles. There is a separate whirlpool that was out of order for the whole cruise, because of an electrical problem. There are two saunas: one herbal and one traditional Finnish and an aromatic steam room with a refreshing scent and relaxing music.

Whilst I accept the need to charge for the use of this facility to prevent it from being crowded, many people felt the charges were far too high. Also it seems wrong that on a ship like this that you cannot have access to a sauna without paying.

PAVILION POOL

The Pavilion Pool is a solarium type area with a sliding glass roof. It is much smaller than similar facilities on other ships and also rather stark by comparison. There are wooden loungers which look substantial but many of them feel like they need to have their bolts retightened, as there is excessive horizontal play which is very noticeable in adverse sea conditions. However the thickly cushioned pads are comfortable.

TERRACE POOL

The main outdoor pool is the Terrace Pool on deck 8 aft. There is plenty of deck space and this is the normal venue for sail-away parties. The only access to this location without using stairs is via Todd English.

CABINS

The standard cabin style is as good as on any premium line. They are tastefully decorated and well fitted with wardrobe and storage space. There is an interactive television and a keypad is provided for internet access. There is a charge of $1.50 to send or receive an e-mail. The en-suite shower rooms have a slightly larger than usual shower compartment and an attractive sink top, but no toiletry compartments, just shelves.

As far as the Q and P categories are concerned, there is a very high premium to be paid for these. I think most people realise that a large part of this is for the privilege of dining in one of the grillrooms.

Titbits

Juices are always available from the fonts in King’s Court – not just at breakfast.

Complimentary shuttles were provided in all ports except Las Palmas where we docked close to the centre.

Alcohol prices seemed very reasonable to me and certainly much cheaper than I am used to on other cruise lines. It is also excellent that bottled or canned mixers, rather than from the font, were available on request at no extra charge.

Sadly there are too many unnecessary announcements repeating information contained in the daily programme.

At only three months old one would not expect the ship to be lacking in routine maintenance, but many areas required paint retouching, varnishing, repairs etc. The moulded plastic strips around all the swimming pools (where the water overflows) were loose and were frequently floating in the water.

Much more staff needs to be deployed on cleaning - especially windows. The carpeted areas of King’s Court were heavily stained.

Technical problems resulted in the ship being delayed by over 4 hours. Many passengers due to fly back to the USA the same day had to have their flights rebooked and the majority were accommodated in a hotel overnight. This was a massive task and the staff seemed to do a good job.

Quite a lot of food items ran out half way through the cruise - oatmeal, frosted flakes, home-made cereals, fruit yoghurts and sugar-free maple syrup. Bagels were often unavailable. On one occasion the cartons of milk were sour even though they were within two days of their expiry date.

As usual, coffee was inconsistent and below expectations, varying from good to undrinkable. It was impossible to get a decent piece of toast unless you found someone who was willing to go and make it to order.

IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

QM2 is a special ship that provides a totally different experience and I think most open-minded cruise enthusiasts would be willing to pay a bit extra to experience her. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. The per diem cost was about 70% more than I normally pay. For me it was worth it on a one-off basis. I would gladly go again if the price was right, but I wouldn’t be willing to pay anywhere near as much next time.

For those thinking of going, I would encourage you to be realistic in your expectations. Please do not expect the ship to match your fantasy of the ultimate possible cruise experience. Unless you travel in Grill Class the standard you can expect is similar in many respects to that of other “Premium†cruise lines, like Celebrity and Holland America. The ship has not yet reached its full potential but it will be a memorable experience because it is unique.

QM2 Three Continents Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

[This message was edited by megacruiser on 04-20-04 at 05:56 AM.]

Your review was balanced, well-written and a pleasure to read. I am happy you enjoye4d your trip.

Welcome Home.

30+ Cruises and Counting

Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Pride of Aloha - August 2004

Caribbean Princess - February 2005

Megacruiser,

Thankyou for a balanced and perceptive review - I wonder why they had so many inexperienced crew on board. When I was on Caronia they were training a bunch - possibly for QM2 - or to back fill in behind Caronia crew as they transferred. I do hope they manage to hang onto the Caronia crew in November - some of them have been on board for decades.

OK, OK...I am totally confused. You said you took the 17 day Three Continents cruise on April 26, Ft Lauderdale to Southampton. But today is the 20th of April.

That cruise should be leaving 6 days FROM today. NO?

Marco,

Well done - you spotted the first deliberate mistake - it should have been March 26th. Spot the other nine and you win a transatlantic trip in a duplex suite!

Thanks for pointing this out.

megacruiser

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Great review...thanks for posting....but, did you remember to sign the Cruise Critic log?? LOL

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

icon_razz.gif It was great to read your review of the QM2 and as coincidence will have it myself and my lovely wife betty was on the same cruise. We usually cruise with air tours but we were celebrating our 50th wedding so I said to betty lets push the boat out.

Although I agree with most of what you say I thought id put my pennyworth in. You say that you had your grub in the Britannia restaurant well all ican say is lucky you we was in the queens grill and found that most of the people were stuck up and didn't really want to mix, the waiters were a bit posy as well. But luckily we youse to sneak into the Britannia restaurant for lunch and thought it was better.

We never went to Sweeny todds cause we thought it was a bit of a rip of after you've paid all that money for the cruise. Just as well if as you say the food was rich betty has a flatulence problem, thank god for the balcony.

We dint like kings court time you've got your grub and found a seat it was stone cold. But I have to disagree with as to Broadwalk cafe betty and I thought it was really nice very similar to our favourite cruise line airtours we felt right at home and had many happy times at that venue.

As to them running out of food well im not surprised betty and I caught one geezer aving a good fill up in kings court then saw im in the Britannia eating another bucket load we told the maitre d but he just laughed. and all those people starving in the world.

there certainly was a lot going on bingo and all that one thing betty and I attended and we didn't no what to expect was a friends of Dorothy meeting and we left totally confused after about ten minutes they all sat round talking about Barbara Streisand and betty felt awkward as she was the only lady there.

Idont no why you dint mention that the super star Des O'Connor did a spot in one of the shows, I have all his tapes and records, and as I have always said he is the British

frank Sinatra, he didn't disappoint, plus there was a young tart who had a great voice did you clock her.

Betty and I didn't like the red lion they had no chicken in a basket and didn't top the beer up so we gave that a miss.

Well megacruiser its a shame we didn't bump into each other maybe next time you can always spot betty and me we always have our airtours red caps on so come up and say hello we don't bite. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by MerryGrash on 04-21-04 at 12:55 PM.]

Let me clear my throat LOL, the Cruise Critic visitor's log is located at the librarian's desk. Thanks for the chance to remind all you lucky people getting ready to sail on her. icon_biggrin.gif

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

MerryGrash,

You and Betty sound like a lovely couple.

Have you considered cruising with Celebrity. Having read the message boards, I think you would be made most welcome.

Thanks for your contribution. No-one could dispute that Des O'Connor's voice has been a talking point in the UK for decades.

Best wishes.

megacruiser

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanne S:

Sort of reminds me of Oslo in "Keeping Up Appearances" who when placed at the Captain's Table in QG complains about having to "eat with the help."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except it's not QG - it's Columbia, now Caronia.

However, in the suite that Onslow and Daisy are shown in, they would be entitled to eat in QG.

Hyacinth and Richard are theoretically in Mauretania (not first class) but I'm quite sure that the lovely cabin they occupy is really Columbia or PG.

Artistic license I guess - but still one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by merodach baladan:

Please, can you tell me where you saw that episode of "Keeping Up Appearances"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only ever seen it on PBS, whose programming is of course pretty much at the whim of your local station. I can't say if BBC America plays "Keeping Up Appearances" at all since I don't get it. (I wish cable channels were a la carte so we could trade, say, the Game Show Network and the Soap Network for the Science Channel and BBC America - but no luck.)

It is an hour long episode so it should stand out in your television schedules though. There are only a few hour long ones - one per season, the annual Christmas Special (though there is no holiday theme to any of them). The other that pops into mind revolves around Hyacinth getting a new kitchen with "Angel Gabriel Blue" countertops.

Anyhow it's not really off-topic - there are lots of great shots of QE2 in that episode (alibet of a very different QE2 than we know today, since it was filmed right before the biggest cosmetic refit of her career which took place in 1994).

I have seen probably every "Keeping Up Apperances" episode and would say this has to be one of the best - not just because of the ship. It is absolutely hilarious. They really outdid themselves with that one. Even if I wasn't a ship nut it would probably still be up there among my favorite episodes, though no doubt my appreciation of all the QE2 footage helps...

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

I want to thank you for this review. I am booked on the Halloween Trans-Atlantic trip. I have been waffling as to whether or not to cancel. Hoping by then they will have all the problems taken care of, and if not, I will deal with it. What an experience it is to sail into NYC harbor.

Dear Megacruiser thank you for your kind words, Betty and I are so sorry we never met you and your lovely wife on the QM2.

As for cruising with Celebrity I have heard that the grub is very exotic and maybe to rich for betty's palette. She tried the escargot on the QM2 we weren't to sure what they were,when the waiter told us they were snails she nearly had a fit.

We have just booked with our favourite cruise line Air Tours 14 nights in the med, you should try them sometime the Bingo money is better than the QM2, and allright the grub isn't as good but there's plenty of it.

All The Best, Tom & Betty. icon_rolleyes.gif

• 3 months later...

Cunard QE2 M4 and M5 grades are not worth more than any budget line's pricing. The ammenities and cabin size are just not up to modern ship standards.

Grille classes are another story.

QM2 being such a well designed ship, generous passenger/ton ratio, and spacious cabins in Britannia grade is between mass-market and deluxe. The smallest QM2 cabin is Caronia grade on the QE2.

I have no problem with QE2 priced competitively since I like the cruise format and aint rolling in dough.

Cunard has stated that they will bring the QM2 up to Cunard standards (or something to that effect), by the new year. Apparently most of the attention needs to be directed towards the dining room (probably not the grills of course). Carnival isn't about to let Cunard go to hell, and in time, the QM2 (faux wood and all), will be a renowned premium cruise ship. Or, Cunard joins the Mass Market Lines??? Doubt it. Can it turn out any other way?

We are not sailing until May 4th, hopefully most the the problems I've been reading about will have been fixed by then. Especially the poor service in the Brittania - we are in First seating and I would hope they can get everyone served on time - rather than hold up the second sitting.

Chuck & Phyllis.....

I am very interested in what you said:

"Cunard has stated that by next year the QM 2 will be brought up to Cunard standards"

Where did you read or hear this? Can you expand on it anymore?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Michael

NYC

what a a shame they now admit that those of us yet to sail this summer won't receive the service standards that we were lead to expect. Friends returned last week from the Norway cruise and had the same comments we're used to hearing about Britannia. Good elsewhere but too late in 2005 as they won't sail with her again.

Archived