How oftend does this port get cancelled?

jennifer.c21

If history of this message board holds, you will get several replies agreeing with the premise that this port gets cancelled more often than not.... don't believe hyperbole.

First point... weather can force ships to an alternate tendering site. If that happens, the alternate site can only handle 3 ships, so some ships may have to cancel.

Second point... weather that most commonly causes alternate tendering is when cold fronts come down out of the Gulf of Mexico bringing Northwest winds. This is most common in the winter months - which happen to also be peak season for cruise travel.

Third point... if seas are too rough on both the west and south shores, outright cancellation may be called for. This is an unusual combination... as an island resident I would estimate it at a 10-15% (3-5 days per month) chance in the winter months, and less likely other times of the year.

:confused: We will soon be on our cruise in May and are wondering how often people have experienced Caymen being cancelled due to weather or rough water? It seems like it happens a lot. Hope it won't when we go. Thanks!

It was canceled on an October cruise I was on a few years back. It was so disappointing. It was hurricane season...possibly it happens more during that time of year.

It was canceled on an October cruise I was on a few years back. It was so disappointing. It was hurricane season...possibly it happens more during that time of year.

Actually, peak hurricane season months of September and October have some of the lightest winds and calmest seas of the year... unless, you guessed it, there happens to be a hurricane stirring things up.

It can be rough but the cruiselines will do their best to let you enjoy the port but not get hurt Our last tendering in Jan was really rough--people were sick on the tender waiting for others to board & had to be taken off...the boarding went very slowly--we were the last tender out--they moved to the other side of the ship... My only concern is if you get into the port & can't get back to the ship--we were once caught in that type of situation on one of the ship's islands--kind of scary but we lucked out & did not have to overnight there! Iffy ports are Gr Cayman, Costa Maya & Coco cay (IMO)

Just be flexible!

We'll just have to wait and see. Not much we can do about it, so I can't worry. Our ports are Roatan, Belize City, Cayman, and Costa Maya, so I guess that's why I'm concerned. But, we'll just hope for the best! Thanks for the reply.:)

If history of this message board holds, you will get several replies agreeing with the premise that this port gets cancelled more often than not.... don't believe hyperbole.

i would bet that drew remembers some of the warm discussions started by disgruntal cruisers stopping at gulf and carribean ports, not being able to tender because the captain is truly safty concious, and loosing a day on a beach, in a market, playing with the rays.

some homework will seperater hyperbole from salt. start with your cruise line. if yours has to be tendered, checking wx stats on that port/island website will tell you more. if you need in depth information, google is your friend. google was my friend when i asked this question a while back.

dw already knows the consequences if we don't get off the boat at grand cayman in september.:D

have a great trip and think positive! calm seas, calm seas, calm seas.

I don't know if its just our plain dumb luck. but GC has been cancelled 4 times for our 6 tried visits! I think that's a fairly high % more than 50% in my simple math!!

we were vastly disappointed the first 2 times then we did the sting ray tour, what we desperately wanted to! LOved it, and tried to shop found everything massively costly! even little simple trinkets.

so then we planned a cruise itin with the hopes of the port getting canceled it did! yeah! extra rest day at sea.

then this last time we thought we'd just hang at 7 mile beach, learned our lesson there in the cost factor! next time we have it on our itin we will try to get to rum point! if not then probably just stay on the ship!!

Compared to all sorts of other ports i've been in it's one of my least favorite islands. Mainly based on cost factor!

LiLNemo,

What times of year did the port get cancelled? I'm sorry for your luck. We are mostly exicted to go there for the snorkeling. We have a waverunner snorkeling excursion booked through Ebanks Wathersports. Hopefully we'll be lucky.

I've heard how expensive it is there. We really don't shop, and we'll probably eat before we get off the ship. So we just want to see the sights.

Thanks!:)

It happen to us last November. We were on Freedom of the sea's THanksgiving week. Grand Caymen closed the port. So we had no choice but to bypass. This is one of my favorite ports so was a little dissapointed but hey what can you do. Saftey is always more important then seeing a port.

we just got back this past sunday from our cruise. we were able to tender in, but almost every single excursion booked through carnival was cancelled...sting rays, snorkel, etc etc. those who booked independently were not. we did the beginner scuba. it was not a problem. i heard from a travel agent on board, the yes, grand cayman is a port that is missed most often. if there is any kind of bad wind, high waves etc, they will not tender you in!

• 3 weeks later...
We'll just have to wait and see. Not much we can do about it, so I can't worry. Our ports are Roatan, Belize City, Cayman, and Costa Maya, so I guess that's why I'm concerned. But, we'll just hope for the best! Thanks for the reply.:)

You only tender at Cayman and Belize. Cayman is really the only port with problems due to it's location.

You are right. Don't worry about it & hope for the best.;)

We missed GC on our first cruise in Jan-05, very disappointing but like others have said, nothing you can do about it. We have 3 cruises booked between Dec-07 and Nov-08 and they all stop in GC so we're bound to make it to GC on one of these, I hope!!

Grand Cayan has been on our itinerary three times recently. The port was never closed, but at on at least two of those cruises some of the Grand Cayman shore excursions were cancelled, purportedly due to the weather.

Archived