Dining Dilemma

tikilogan

Looking for any advice on how to deal with the following: My husband and I, both captains club members, just booked a concienrge class cabin on the Constellation for the January 8th southern carribbean cruise through travelocity. Unfortunately, travelocity was only able to put us on the waitlist for the late seating for dinner. We checked with Celebrity and they say that some spaces may open up, but there are no guarantees. This doesn't seem to make sense, since CC passengers supposedly get dining preferences? Any advice on how to get into the late seating? What is the likelihood we wil get in off the waiting list? (We booked htrough travelocity because it was about $450 less than Celebity). TIA for any help.

Did you call the Captain's Club telephone number or just the "regular" Celebrity telephone number?

If you didn't call the Captain's Club then I would suggest that. If you did then all you can do is keep calling them maybe once a week or so until you can get your desired seating.

If by the time you board the ship they still have you waitlisted, I would go to the dining room immediately upon embarkation and talk to the maitre'd.

Hope this helps.

Anne Maria

Just a question. Because someone has used a travel agent, in this case Travelocity, are you allowed to call Celebrity and have them do anything for you? I was under the impression that your TA had to be your spokesperson with Celebrity once you booked with one.

Did you call the Captain's Club telephone number or just the "regular" Celebrity telephone number?

If you didn't call the Captain's Club then I would suggest that. If you did then all you can do is keep calling them maybe once a week or so until you can get your desired seating.

If by the time you board the ship they still have you waitlisted, I would go to the dining room immediately upon embarkation and talk to the maitre'd.

Hope this helps.

Anne Maria

You are right -- Celebrity told us we would have to work through Travelocity to get on the waitlist, which we did. But it seems to me the fact that we booked through TRavelocity should not take away the benefits that C are supposed to provide (i.e., dining preferences). It also just seems way too far in advance for this cruise to fill up the late seating (the cruise is a full 5 months away!)

Hi Joan,

I agree totally with what you say about making Specialty restaurant reservations. But when calling to check on one's seating, in regards to a waiting list, would you still get direct help? I have called on other matters and as soon as I have given my Booking number was told that my TA had to call for me. Not a big deal as I am sure it is some legal baloney that makes it that way. Yes/no???

:) Hi Bill,

You can always call the Captain's Club whether you use a travel agent or not. I always call them directly to make reservations for the specialty restaurant.

hi:)....my suggestion would be to go see the Maitr'd after the noon hour on your day of embarkation.

They really do try and accomodate all types of requests:) . They are usually outside of the dining room about 12:30 and beyond!

I guess what is frustrating to me is that I don;t know what the dining preference perk that comes with CC is supposed to be if it doesn;t allow you to choose when you eat? I realize that many people think CC is not worth it, and I tend to agree; the only reason we went for it for this cruise is that it was the same price as a regular balcony cabin when purchaesed through Travelocity.

Have any of you heard about them temporarily closing the late seating, then opening it up as people who have reserved space drop out?

I suggested in another post that perhaps you should start escalating through their lines of organization to see if you can get your matter resolved. What Lois suggests will usually work, but at times it does not. I would sure try to get it resolved before your cruisedate arrives. Be persistent with them. And good luck, as you have a TA representing you.

I guess what is frustrating to me is that I don;t know what the dining preference perk that comes with CC is supposed to be if it doesn;t allow you to choose when you eat? I realize that many people think CC is not worth it, and I tend to agree; the only reason we went for it for this cruise is that it was the same price as a regular balcony cabin when purchaesed through Travelocity.

Have any of you heard about them temporarily closing the late seating, then opening it up as people who have reserved space drop out?

I never had thought that the dining preference was for early or late seating -- just for speciality restaurants. I may be wrong about this. Does it state anywhere specially what dining preference is?

As someone else mentioned, should someone who has confirmed late seating as of now be told -- sorry, you are being kicked out of late seating?

Honestly, I don't think I would worry about it right now. The cruise is five-six month from now and I'm sure folks will cancel reservations, especially when final payment is due.

I do think it is great advice to call the "CC" number and if they won't talk to you, stay just one minute and conference the travel agent in (if you have that capablity.) Good luck! I'm thinking you'll get late seating if you are patient.

If you look at the captain's club benefits, priority seating selection is no longer listed as a perk. Priority waitlisting for dining seating is a perk for elite status.

Since they took away the fee, membership has skyrocketed and the extra perks are disappearing. Also missing is the complimentary wine tasting. After all if nearly all onboard are members of the Captains Club and all want late seating - there is no way they can accommodate everyone.

Just one more disappearing perk due to removal of the membership fee!

I also thought dining preference was in reference to which seating you wanted. Specialty restuarants are still kind of new and some ships, like the Galaxy last I checked, don't have specialty restuarants. I know that when I check my on line documentation it shows my "dining preference" as main sitting and my record is linked to Lougee and his wife's booking number and some friends of theirs who are joining us on the cruise.

Consierge Class does get seating preference, so do call Capt Club immediately if you are a member, if not then just speak with whomever answers telling them that you are booked as a CC & give them you booking #. Then tell them the seating you want and table size also.

Just a reminder: be careful in interpreting/responding to posts here concerning "CC".

Some people use it when referring to a Concierge Class stateroom and its benefits. Others are using it to mean Captain's Club perks (or the declining perks, as has been noted).

Remember, they're two different things that are getting more tied up together (as in Concierge Class sailing possibly counting for more than 1 cruise in the tally toward Capt.Club level...) - and one poster is certainly correct that the whole ship could be Capt. Club Elite members in a few years! Ridiculous.

I never had thought that the dining preference was for early or late seating -- just for speciality restaurants. I may be wrong about this. Does it state anywhere specially what dining preference is?

Yes, you can book (request) early or late seating at the time of booking. We always request, late. Our booking conformation and our cruise documents always state the seating. We always request a table size, that is not conformed, but is always honored. :)

Late seating is usually what most passenger prefer and request so it's not surprising to find it waitlisted 5 months out. Once it's waitlisted they will only assign new passengers to the late seating as other passengers either change their seating or cancel their reservations. I would advise checking with Captain Club from time to time to see if you cleared their waitlist, as there is no way of knowing how many other passengers are also on the waitlist with you. There is a better possiblilty of it happening close to final payment or after final payment has been made. If it still hasn't clear by the time you sail your only option is to go straight to the main dinning room upon boarding to see if you can get late seating at that time.

hi:)....my suggestion would be to go see the Maitr'd after the noon hour on your day of embarkation.

They really do try and accomodate all types of requests:) . They are usually outside of the dining room about 12:30 and beyond!

Greet him with a 20! I'm SURE he can come up with something.

Greet him with a 20! I'm SURE he can come up with something.

We had this happen on a Celebrity booking. When I originally inquired about the cruise with a discount TA, the second seating was available but by the time they got back to me with a booking number, the second seating had been closed out. I decided to email Celebrity Captain's Club directly saying that we would not be interested in that cruise date if it meant having to accept early seating. We got a late seating confirmation shortly thereafter. It was just that important to me.

Have cruised in Concierge Class and I think it is worth it. I think the cabins are in better locations, the service personnel are the cream of the crop and the extras in the bathrooms alone made it feel special. The cheap sparkling wine and cardboard hors d'oerves however, I could definitely live without.

I would persist with the Captain's Club directly, not your travel agent. You've got your booking number. Go for it. Keep calling if you don't get the answer you want. Some agents will go the extra mile and some simply don't care. And if all else fails, would it be too late to cancel or shift to another sailing date? The $20 to the maitre d' as soon as you get onboard might do the trick but you're sure taking a chance if its really important to you. Good luck!

Archived