Which would you choose? HAL or Princess??

thehucks

I am currently attempting to plan my dad's 60th birthday present - an Alaskan cruise. It will be his first cruise and probably only Alaskan cruise. He can only walk very short distances and would use a wheelchair or electric scooter to get around on the ship. I just want this to be an incredible experience for him. The "travel party" would include me and dh (early 30s), possibly my two brothers (late 20s), and, of course, dad (soon to 60).

I have spent far too many hours researching HAL and Princess in Alaska and STILL :rolleyes: haven't come to any firm conclusions as to which one, as both have itineraries that are appealing.

Which one has . . .

1. better food?

2. better service?

3. nicer ships?

4. best overall experience?

Yes, I know this is all subjective. But. . . I'm interested in hearing your opinions and experiences! Thanks.

Something you may want to consider is the layout and width of the hallways on the ships. I have only sailed on one HAL ship which was the Zuiderdam. We loved the ship, but I will say the hallway to get to the dining room was narrow and you had to go through the photo area as well. It was not an issue for us, but seemed to be somewhat of an obstacle course for people in wheelchairs, walkers and canes. The layout on other HAL ships may be better?

The public areas and hallways on the Princess ships we have sailed (Golden, Grand and Caribbean) were very expansive and easy to navigate. Since these ships were so large, you never seemed to ever have lots of crowds to wade through to get somewhere....

I'm 60 and my husband is 64. We prefer HAL. The ambiance of an old ocean liner with lots of wood and brass. A teak promenade deck all the way around the ship (HAL is the only line that still has this), with teak wooden deck lounge chairs (with wool blankets in Alaska), chimes ring over the loud speaker to announce dinner, fresh flower arrangements everywhere, free split pea soup or hot chocolate on glacier viewing day, and the LIDO restaurant. Our first cruise we were on the "old" Noordam in '99. She was only about 55,000 tons so she was a smaller ship. This trip I booked Zuiderdam at 90,000 tons. The smaller ships tended to cost more for a balcony cabin. Your Dad should have no problem with the scooter. Saw lots of them.

Give me a few months:p I did an Alaska cruise on HAL years ago, and a more recent Carib. cruise on HAL (Oct-Nov 2006) and we wanted to do a HAL Alaska cruise but we made the decision late and all the balconies were sold out:cool: So we're booked on Pacific Princess--very excited as we LOVE the idea of a small ship!

My husband and I are in our 30s, but HAL has been a fantastic cruiseline for us--I realize many people feel it's "old" but it offers all the things we want, including interesting itineraries, large rooms, and great rates:p

Hoyaheel--We booked the Island Princess last May for a June '07 cruisetour. If I had known the Pacific Princess was doing Alaska this summer I would have been on that. (We had too many in our group to make a change after all the plans were made). The ship used to belong to Renaissance before 9/11 and we were on an identical sister ship. Very nice:D

I have sailed both Princess and HAL to Alaska, both more than once. I give an edge to HAL, the smaller ship and wonderful outside decks are my preference. I also prefer Seward, which Princess used to sail to. :(

Both do Glacier Bay and College Fjords itineraries. But HAL has several other itineraries to choose. Especially good is Hoonah and Sitka. Both have ship naturalists. But having some good contacts in the ship naturalist department- HAL is a winner with Cpts who truely care about the passenger enjoyment in Alaska. They go out of their way for wildlife and scenic routing. One other particular line is the opposite, couldn't care less. So much so, one of my naturalist friends, ended up quiting last year after 14 years as a ship natualist, disgusted. Especially if you can get Cpt Stubbs, or Mercer, with HAL these are top choices.

I have sailed both Princess and HAL to Alaska, both more than once. I give an edge to HAL, the smaller ship and wonderful outside decks are my preference. I also prefer Seward, which Princess used to sail to. :(

Both do Glacier Bay and College Fjords itineraries. But HAL has several other itineraries to choose. Especially good is Hoonah and Sitka. Both have ship naturalists. But having some good contacts in the ship naturalist department- HAL is a winner with Cpts who truely care about the passenger enjoyment in Alaska. They go out of their way for wildlife and scenic routing. One other particular line is the opposite, couldn't care less. So much so, one of my naturalist friends, ended up quiting last year after 14 years as a ship natualist, disgusted. Especially if you can get Cpt Stubbs, or Mercer, with HAL these are top choices.

Budget Queen - I couldn't quite understand the next to last two sentences of your post. Are you saying that Princess "couldn't care less," and that your naturalist friend quit Princess??? Or are you referring to some other, unnamed line? Maybe I'm just misreading this.

I'd appreciate some clarification.

Thanks,

Sam

BQ - I assume you mean Dirk and Celebrity? They still have Brent Nixon, right?

I can't compare HAL to Princess as I haven't done HAL, but Princess does do an excellent job in Alaska. Most (not all) of their naturalists are good and their speakers are excellent -Libby Riddles has come on every Princess ship that has docked in Juneau the past several years. And I love anytime dining here so you can go to dinner whenever you want.

As far as using a scooter - I would make sure whatever ship/line you book, just make sure it is one of the newer ships as they paid more attention to ADA on these ships. My guess is that both lines will do a good job in accomodating the needs of your father. My mom has a disability and Princess is fantastic with her.

Budget Queen - I couldn't quite understand the next to last two sentences of your post. Are you saying that Princess "couldn't care less," and that your naturalist friend quit Princess??? Or are you referring to some other, unnamed line? Maybe I'm just misreading this.

I'd appreciate some clarification.

Thanks,

Sam

No not with Princess. My only point. HAL does have wonderful cpts, that go above and beyond for the passengers, somewhat more so then Princess in my opinion, especially if you happen to get on a ship with the ones I listed.

We have sailed Princess and Holland several times to Alaska. When on Holland, I feel like I am at an advanced senior center with the average age above 80. Granted, all cruise lines in Alaska have higher ages but Holland is the worst. We must have had 4 people die on our last trip and I felt like I was the only person under the age of 50. It really is that bad.

Princess and Holland both do a lot for their passengers in Alaska. I really don't think one is better than the other in this regard. They are both highly thought of in Alaska for a reason. If you want any night life on a ship, do not book Holland America as most are asleep by 7 pm. And the food is so bland.

I've also sailed both HAL and Princess. I'm a big Prinecss fan but HAL does a very good job in Alaska. I agree with BQ that Seward is much better than Whittier and found the ship I sailed on (Statendam) a great ship for Alaska. Loved the open bow deck and the large stern one. In Alaska smaller is better, being closer to the water changes your perspective greatly IMHO.

Either is a great choice, I highly recommed a route that goes all the way to either Seward or Whitter. The scenery up here is the best on the trip.

Seward has a lot to see and it is a shame that most people miss it If you go in early or stay late there is enough to keep you busy for a day or two in the area. Also your're sailing south from Seward its a a great view in the twlight of the Gulf, Northbound you usually arrive in the dark and miss the sights.

On a couple of my B2B's this was turnaround day and I used the opportunity to visit the area.

Archived