Shore Excursions - Nice to Dover on Voyager - June 02, 2007

joao123

Hi! We are on the same cruise, plus the one before it from Rome that begins on May 26. We've booked the Granada and the Alhambra for Cadiz, A Taste of Lisbon by Coach & Tram, Coruna & Betanzons tour, and the Landing Beaches in Honfleur. We're also participating in the Circle of Interest program that includes a winery visit in Bordeaux.

We did a similar cruise last year, and did private tours or just wandered. In Honfleur, unless you want to go elsewhere like the Normandy Beaches, you can just wander--it's a lovely town. In Lisbon we just took the shuttle into town and wandered as well--but our stop there was very short, so we would have taken a tour if we had been there longer. In Bordeaux we had a private guide for 6 of us who took us to St. Emilion, where we toured the town, and two chateaux for wine tastings.

We're on this cruise as well. I had booked a private tour for the D-day beaches, but now that there are only 3 of us ( my friend and her husband had to cancel because her mom is very sick), we are probably going to have to cancel that and go with one of the ship's excursions. In Malaga, we have a rental car and are planning to drive to Ronda. Haven't decided about Cadiz yet. In Lisbon, we will just explore on our own.

You can tour the city but also you might want to check out going to Sintra. In Honfleur, the town was so charming, we walked around - not sure if that is one of your ports since they can only cruise the Seine during high tides to go in and out of the river. It was a highlight for us. We did the private tour with Wandra in Bordeaux and St. Emilion was quite charming. We absolutely loved it there.

That was one of my favoirte cruises - we had a great time.

We're on this cruise as well. I had booked a private tour for the D-day beaches, but now that there are only 3 of us ( my friend and her husband had to cancel because her mom is very sick), we are probably going to have to cancel that and go with one of the ship's excursions. In Malaga, we have a rental car and are planning to drive to Ronda. Haven't decided about Cadiz yet. In Lisbon, we will just explore on our own.

Rachel G- My husband and I are also on this cruise and were considering a private tour of Normandy. We had not made any arrangements yet, but have been told since we are there the week of the anniversary that the tour bookings are pretty full. Would you consider a tour together?

Sadie Lady

In Lisbon I would suggest a trip to Sintra, which is a charming old town, after a ride through Lisbon. Lisbon is beautiful to see, but I think the charm of Sintra is special. Because time is short a private guide would be best.

In Bordeaux, time dependent, I would wander the streets. I also took a ship's tour to the wine district, which was pretty much a disaster as it didn't go where they said they were going. You will note that on your tour it states at the bottom that the specific chateau you will visit will not be known until the day of the tour!If I were to do it again I would book a private tour. Actually I would have in that instance but a private tour couldn't book the chateau we were supposed to go to.

In Cadiz we took a tour of the Andalusian horses and the Jerez for a sherry tour and tasting. The Andalusian tour was quite disappointing (not Regent's fault at all!), because there is no explanation of the practice and there is no interaction. But the sherry tasting -which we thought would be hokey - was actually quite interesting and good fun.

Sadie, I wish I hadn't already cancelled it--but I have. My husband and I were talking and decided that, especially since it is the week of the anniversary, things might be really too crowded anyway, so we would just do this another time.

We'll have to look for you on the trip!

Archived