Dog Sledding

Mailgirl

Has anyone done any of the dog sledding tours in Juneau or Skagway? Is it better to book this tour from a private tour company or from the ship?

I was in Alaska in 2005 and didn’t get to do the dog sledding there was just too much to see at these ports.

I know we have a glacier landing and dog sled excursion scheduled with Coastal Helicopters (coastalhelicopters.com) out of Juneau in June. I think that ERA does them also (http://www.flightseeingtours.com/default.asp). Have you tried either of them? I think that the ships' excursions with dog sleds out of Juneau are with Temsco (http://temscoair.com/tours/dogs.htm), but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Sam

4 of us going (2 tweenagers - 12 yo) so can't afford the helicopter or plane up to the glaciers but have heard that they have some places to go and see the dogs and they have sleds with wheels that can take you across fields. Anyone done this or have sites that offer this type of dog sledding?

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone knows of a dog sledding/opportunity to see the sled dogs in Juneau, Sitka, or Ketchikan WITHOUT flying out to the glaciers. i.e. are there any close to these towns?

Four of us did Skagway heli-dog sled trip 3 years ago. It was absolutely one of the best excursions ever! Another was the three-glacier w/ landing out of Juneau two years ago. Going back this year with a couple who wanted to do the heli-dog trip out of Skagway, but, my, the price has jumped almost $100 since we did it. So, we'll all choose instead to summer snowmobile in Girdwood. But, yes, the helicopter ride up over the glacier and then landing to hop on the dogsled, an awesome experience!

Does anyone know if all the flight/dogsled companies are all appx. the same prices? I really would like to do this but :eek: it is expensive through the ship.

Counting the days!!!

See my earlier post on this fool4greys - Coastal, ERA, and Temsco in Juneau. I didn't check the cost of the glacier/dog sled excursion through my ship (Coral Princess) but dealt directly with the vender (in my case I picked Coastal). It's not inexpensive even dealing directly with the vender, but I've heard it is less than when going through the ship excursion program. I think that by going to each of these vender's websites you can check the costs of their various offerings and do a direct comparison yourself.

Sam

Always have back up plans with a glacier dog sledding tour. At least have some ideas how to fill the time. This is the most canceled of all Alaska tours.

The bargain of bargain cart rides is out of Wasilla at the Sled Dog Headquarter Museum. Reddington dogs for $5- 5 minute run through the woods. :)

See my earlier post on this fool4greys - Coastal, ERA, and Temsco in Juneau. I didn't check the cost of the glacier/dog sled excursion through my ship (Coral Princess) but dealt directly with the vender (in my case I picked Coastal). It's not inexpensive even dealing directly with the vender, but I've heard it is less than when going through the ship excursion program. I think that by going to each of these vender's websites you can check the costs of their various offerings and do a direct comparison yourself.

Sam

There is also TEMSCO out of Skagway and Godwins out of Seward. In the past- Coastal has come in the cheapest and ERA usually is fully ship contracted.

Archived