NationalExpress luggage policy

My experience has been that they don't really check your luggage carefully. When the coach comes, you cart your luggage over to the luggage compartment area of the coach, then the driver takes your luggage and puts it into the luggage compartment. And that's it. No scales, no checking of luggage.

Its totally at the discretion of the driver. The driver doesn't weigh your cases or anything like that. Being human they don't like to say no, so most tend to turn a blind eye.

However if the coach is full or a group turns up that is obviously taking advantage drivers will refuse luggage, especially if there is outsize luggage like bicycles being carried in the hold. You can also of course be unlucky and get a jobsworth.

In other words the chances are you'll be OK if you're slightly over the limit but there is always the risk. If you want a guarantee, this can't be given and it isn't like the airlines where you can just pay an excess baggage charge.

If you're concerned take the train which has no luggage restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience was that there were so many people going to Southampton that you just left your suitcases outside the back of the bus and got on. They had no idea who belonged to what and were in too much of a hurry to worry about it anyway.

We are thinking of using the National Express service from London to Southhampton the day before our cruise. Where is the pick up point in London and drop off point in Southhampton and the average cost for this transfer? Would you recommend we take the transfer on the day of the cruise departure (on QM2 transatlantic on June 4/07) or is this cutting it too close? Is this a good transfer choice or should we do the train? We will have about 3 pieces of luggage for 2 of us. Thanks!

Would you recommend we take the transfer on the day of the cruise departure (on QM2 transatlantic on June 4/07) or is this cutting it too close? Is this a good transfer choice or should we do the train?
Doing either the coach or the train on the day of sailing is no problem, because you should have plenty of fall back options. For example, there are two fast trains every hour (and additional slower ones too).

One of the main considerations is where you'll be starting from. If you're staying in London in a hotel near Waterloo station, the train is the obvious choice. But if you're near the coach station, then the coach may make more sense.

If you're starting at an airport and not staying in London pre-cruise, then the options change again - in particular, it depends on which airport is involved.

• 1 month later...

We just got back Wednesday morning around 12:00 AM from our trip to England, cruise, and 5 days in England again post-cruise. We used National Express for our transfers Heathrow-London, London-Southampton, and Stanstead-Heathrow. We are very impressed with National Express.

YES, buy your tickets in advance online. If you have to change them, it's a 3 GBP charge per ticket, and I did just that on our Stanstead-Heathrow leg without a problem. The very nice man just charged our original credit card that I used to buy the tickets. I called up the day before and handled the whole thing in about 3 minutes when we knew we wanted to stay at the Stoneleigh Car Show longer on our day back. (By the way, read the threads about Mobal phones in Europe. They are great!!!)

We used a Funfare from Heathrow-London, and got the over-60 price for my husband. Very economical and they are very efficient.

We stayed in London Victoria for 2 nights, about 4 blocks from the Victoria Coach Station, so it was easy going in and out of London.

Three pieces of luggage is doable for 2 people. Read their luggage policy on their web site. Worst case is an extra charge if the luggage is oversized or heavy, but most likely it will be fine. The overheads in the bus are narrow-ish, so make sure your carry-on isn't too stuffed, or you'll have it under your legs or on your lap for the bus trip. I had to do that Heathrow-London, but it's not a long trip (about 40 minutes to Victoria).

Look for the Funfares!!! Our cost Heathrow-London was the equivalent of $8 US for the two of us.

We just got back Wednesday morning around 12:00 AM from our trip to England, cruise, and 5 days in England again post-cruise. We used National Express for our transfers Heathrow-London, London-Southampton, and Stanstead-Heathrow. We are very impressed with National Express.

YES, buy your tickets in advance online. If you have to change them, it's a 3 GBP charge per ticket, and I did just that on our Stanstead-Heathrow leg without a problem. The very nice man just charged our original credit card that I used to buy the tickets. I called up the day before and handled the whole thing in about 3 minutes when we knew we wanted to stay at the Stoneleigh Car Show longer on our day back. (By the way, read the threads about Mobal phones in Europe. They are great!!!)

We used a Funfare from Heathrow-London, and got the over-60 price for my husband. Very economical and they are very efficient.

We stayed in London Victoria for 2 nights, about 4 blocks from the Victoria Coach Station, so it was easy going in and out of London.

Three pieces of luggage is doable for 2 people. Read their luggage policy on their web site. Worst case is an extra charge if the luggage is oversized or heavy, but most likely it will be fine. The overheads in the bus are narrow-ish, so make sure your carry-on isn't too stuffed, or you'll have it under your legs or on your lap for the bus trip. I had to do that Heathrow-London, but it's not a long trip (about 40 minutes to Victoria).

Look for the Funfares!!! Our cost Heathrow-London was the equivalent of $8 US for the two of us.

Correction: it was $14 US for the two of us, with DH getting the over-60 fare.

Thank you for your reply regarding National Express, how long did it take you from the time you landed, recoverd your luggage, went through customs and walked to the bus terminal? We arrive at 9:05 AM.

Allow a good two hours. It's immigration, luggage carousel, customs, walk to the coach station, find your bus. We arrived at 9:30, and I booked us on the 11:00, and we walked up to it with (I'm not kidding) about 45 seconds to spare!!!

Archived