laundry rooms on HA ships

San Diego Ellie

Yes, there are washers and dryers on the R and S style ships, but they are not free. I believe it is $2 to wash and $1 to dry. However, there are NO self-service laundries on the new Vista Style ships, much to my dismay!!!!!

Having done many cruises on HAL's R and S class ships where we used the laundry room, I thought we might miss it on our 16-day transatlantic on the Noordam last year.

Not missed at all. The service that allows you to fill one of their laundry bags for $12 was outstanding. If you are careful, you can stash a ton of laundry in there (I figured it would be over $50 at their regular rates) - no wasting your time watching your clothes spin (you can do that at home!), and it all comes back ironed and/or neatly folded. Next cruise, we're considering taking fewer clothes and using this service regularly!

On Rotterdam last year there were a number of washing machines that didn't work so it was next to impossible to find a time to do laundry. I agree, the $12 bag worked admirably. Everything came back either on hangers or beautifully folded.

Michael, I didn't either, I was very disappointed to see that.
It's probably both a revenue thing (a pax cabin pays a lot more than the machines) and a water conservation thing, since many people waste a lot of water doing small loads. I'm sure self-service laundries are gone forever on future ships.

Your probably correct, but those machines are small, you could only do a small load. I just like to do my own laundry, I don't care to have someone else do it for me, so its a bit disappointing.

I can do a 7-day cruise and never need to do laundry, but its the longer cruises that I like to do a load or two along the line. I know my sisters on a 10-day cruise with their kids, was very thankful for the self-service laundries, it cut down alot on their packing.

No, the Oosterdam is a Vista Style ship and, therefore, does not have self-service laundries nor an ironing room, but you can certainly have your items pressed onboard for a fee. Others bring a steamer or Downey Wrinkle Release, but irons are prohibited in your cabins.

Others bring a steamer or Downey Wrinkle Release, but irons are prohibited in your cabins.

doone, on the Noordam in January there was a letter in the cabins prohibiting steamers now, too. This was new to me on that cruise.

We just came off the Noordam (Mch 10-21 cruise) and I'm sorry to report the "fill the laundry bag" for $12 is now $24. Might still be a deal; I've discovered that with very tight rolling of items and leaving no corner unoccupied I could get basic t-shirts, underwear, etc. for 8-9 days for 2 into that bag. However, with this trip we paid the $75 for the unlimited laundry and thought it was just great. On port days we'd come back with our wet clothes from snorkeling trips, or rain forest excursion, etc., toss them in the laundry bag and everything would be back the very next day, beautifully done. Turning in laundry at the very end means that you take home clean clothes, except for those last couple of days, so there's minimal laundry to do when you get home. When we've been on ships with laundry facilities, back when it was free, the laundry was always busy and a lot of trouble to use it--not a vacation-worthy chore, at least to me. I'm willing to pay for laundry, and it sure cuts down on how much luggage you'll have.

Self service laundry on the Prinsendam was free (only ship that I have encountered with free self service laundry). We also used the $12 bags with admirable results, but there is something to be said for doing it yourself. Since a cruise (especially a long one) tends to be a "personally expanding" experience, this is not the time for anyone to hot water wash and shrink my cottons. I am sorry to see this feature disappear from the cruise ship landscape. Too many lawyers and too many careless folk out there.

I asked and they stopped with the laundry on the newer Vosta Class ships because of legal and security reasons. It is a fire hazard.

That is a very interesting comment. I would think if that were really the case they would have removed them on the other ships. I always thought that it was a revenue driven thing. Maybe it is both.:cool:

:confused: So HAL is admitting they are operating the non-Vista ships with a known fire hazard? That sounds like a legal nightmare if there ever is a fire in those laundry rooms.

Yep, that's it. I think on the newer ships they have used the space to put in more revenue centers like a few additional cabins.

doone, on the Noordam in January there was a letter in the cabins prohibiting steamers now, too. This was new to me on that cruise.

Forgot my steamer on a trip to Europe.:( I carry an empty travel size hairspray bottle (for hair touch ups with water). I found if I lightly sprayed wrinkles with water, smoothed the area and then applied the hair dryer to the area (cool to hi heat depending on fabric), it worked just as well as wrinkle remover, and since my DH is sensitive to fragrance, he much prefered it. Hope this helps

We just came off the Noordam (Mch 10-21 cruise) and I'm sorry to report the "fill the laundry bag" for $12 is now $24. Might still be a deal; I've discovered that with very tight rolling of items and leaving no corner unoccupied I could get basic t-shirts, underwear, etc. for 8-9 days for 2 into that bag. However, with this trip we paid the $75 for the unlimited laundry and thought it was just great. On port days we'd come back with our wet clothes from snorkeling trips, or rain forest excursion, etc., toss them in the laundry bag and everything would be back the very next day, beautifully done. Turning in laundry at the very end means that you take home clean clothes, except for those last couple of days, so there's minimal laundry to do when you get home. When we've been on ships with laundry facilities, back when it was free, the laundry was always busy and a lot of trouble to use it--not a vacation-worthy chore, at least to me. I'm willing to pay for laundry, and it sure cuts down on how much luggage you'll have.

And it all comes back as if it had gone to the dry cleaners... did it on NCL and it was awesome.

However, with this trip we paid the $75 for the unlimited laundry and thought it was just great.

I'm new to HAL so this is the first I've heard of the $75 unlimited laundry. Where do you sign up for that? In advance or on the ship?

Also, there will be 3 of us, so can we all use it for the one price? I'm thinking that might be worth it for 3 people since we'll be adding on a week in the port after the cruise.

And last but not least, can we do the dry cleaning for that price too, or is it only regular laundering? I have hot-water-shrinking-cotton-with-my-expanding-belly issues too! :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up on doubling the price for the bag laundry.

It is a great service - or was - but they do use very hot water and if there is any spandex in your clothes it relaxes it - they also pulled a thread in a pair of slacks and put a double crease in them that I haven't been able to get out. So we just used it for pjs, underwear and t-shirts.

Not sure it is worth it for that - just as easy to find a quiet time in the laundry and throw a load in. $3 vs $24 is quite a difference.

Archived