shorts in the dining room

jules815 What would you consider "smart casual" to be? I'm asking, because I don't remember ever seeing smart casual mentioned last June on our Mariner cruise. Do they even still do this? We're going again in June, and I wouldn't want to not be preprepared.

My husband would wear dockers and a polo shirt, or a short sleeve sports shirt to the dining room on casual nights. Would "smart casual" mean adding a jacket to that?

So anyone know...is there a smart casual night?

According to RCI

Casual ~ dresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual ~ dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

Formal ~ cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men.

your cruise compass will let you know the "dress attire" for each night.:)

Shorts/ripped pants, sweats are not allowed in the dinning room, that why the windjammer(casual) was started......for people who do not care to dress up.

ON our last cruises, they actually turned people away, asking them to change or to frequent thr buffet.

Think of the dinning room as a really nice restaurant....

On our 6-night Radiance cruise, our friend was wearing shorts when we came down to dinner. He was stopped from entering and told he could not wear shorts in the dining room. He was shocked as this was the first time it had happened to him, and this was his 5th cruise on RCL.

However, on our 3-night Majesty cruise we did notice a few passengers wearing shorts in the dining room. I don't know if it is just not enforced on the shorter cruises or what.

On our recent Legend cruise, a sign was put out by the entrance to the DR each evening stating that gentlemen were required to wear full length trousers every night. We did see some nicely dressed young men wearing country club attire denied entry because they were wearing shorts. But MANY people wore jeans in the DR. Again it was a spring break cruise, I guess concessions had to be made.

Princess-enjoy your cruise, regardless!!

If you haven't been on a cruise before then maybe you don't know that the dinning room is a bit more upscale than your neighborhood Outback.

Think of going to a 4 star restaurant. Would you wear shorts? Probably not. That's why there are alternate dinner venues on ships to please everyone. I for one do like to dress up a bit for dinner. Does it make your food taste better? No, but the whole experience is quite pleasant.

Somebody quote for me where RCI forbids jeans in the dining room. Give me the link or cut and paste it here...

(Clue: Nobody has found it yet.)

I've been looking for this guideline since 2005. It isn't there, but is often attributed to RCI...

LL

Somebody quote for me where RCI forbids jeans in the dining room.

Lots of jeans in the dining room on both of our cruises. While several (like myself) have witnessed someone turned away from the dining room when wearing shorts, I have never heard of anyone turned away for jeans.

Somebody quote for me where RCI forbids jeans in the dining room. Give me the link or cut and paste it here...

(Clue: Nobody has found it yet.)

Might be that slow Internet in Oklahoma :) God bless any state that sends us Rodney Carrington!

We've celebrated 6 years of return to cruising, have sailed 13 times since then and have two more booked. All on RCL and CCL.

The daily newsletter on all of our cruises have stated "suggested attire" and I have complied with every formal night with a dark suit. Wife likes it and a happy wife is a fun wife :) On winter weather cruises across the Gulf of Mexico we've noticed that evenings are little cooler in the theatre and we stay dressed in what we wore to dinner.

Aboard the Rhapsody and Splendour we've experienced the summer and spring break cruises where the doors to the Promenade Deck open and close a lot by the theatre, and the humidity and heat are no match for the A/C system. We joined a small army of people in shorts every night for the theatre and other evening activities.

At dinner I wear khakis and a polo shirt for all the nights except formals.

On several cruises we were in port at dinner and many wore khaki shorts and polos to dinner and were not turned away. This might be something I see new when we sail the Rhapsody again in June.

In the summer of 05 we sailed the Rhapsody and met two other couples that discussed resort casual attire for dinner and for the duration of the cruise we all came to dinner in khaki shorts and polos with sandals. Not a word was said. The Maitre' D was stationed about two tables away and stopped by for a chat each night.

Jeans have never been mentioned as not being allowed in any cruise newsletter I've had tucked under my door or placed on my bed at night. I have never seen dirty, old, torn jeans at any time in the dining room on our trips. Add the fact that I am completely sober for the trip and I find this valid.

Finally, as I have posted before, cruises are less expensive than going to a resort city for a visit. I just booked a trip for Thanksgiving aboard the Ecstasy and two can sail for a grand. This equates to more people with a lesser variety of wardrobe cruising for the first time.

Look at the number of posts where people mention that their husband or son does not have a suit or sport jacket.

Personally, I could care less what you or anyone else wears on my trip. I'd rather sit for 5-7 nights and have an enjoyable conversation with someone in feathers than suffer through the dinners with some of the people concerned about others and their attire. :p

JMHO...

Recent Brilliance cruise, there was a fairly large sign as you entered the dining room (at dinner seatings). It pointed out that shorts were not allowed. Listed several other guiudelines.

I didn't make a thorough search, but I don't remember 1 pair of shorts on any 'adults'. Can't say I looked all the time as I was not trying to be anal, but since I passed the sign each time, and I knew that it was a controversal subject, I glanced around on my way to our table a couple times.

Keep in mind that this was a 10 night Panama cruise where the age was more "mature" than other cruises I've been on. Other than tripping over the oxygen hoses, it was a great cruise. [i think they called themselves the 'Cruise Puffers'. lol]

OK I will probably get flamed even more for this, but could you guys get off your high horses and just listen to the question before jumping down my throat?

I said in my original question that if this is the rule I am fine with that, but I was a bit confused by the rule since it seems so vague and I am hearing different reports about what actually goes on on the ships.

I'm not trying to get away with anything, and I'm certainly not suggesting that he go in ripped jeans just because the rule does not mention that this isn't allowed. In fact, I believe I said that he would not go dressed this way, I just think it is silly that the rule is stated in such a way that it disallows shorts but does not disallow other types of inappropriate attire. No, I don't think they should include scuba gear in their list of no no's, but they do say that you are not allowed to wear swimsuits and it doesn't say anything about jeans. Just my personal opinion but if we are all about wanting people to look nice and show decorum, I would rather see khaki shorts and a golf shirt for dinner than jeans and a t-shirt. But if the rules are not this way then they are not this way.

I'm sorry but I had a genuine question and was (and am) genuinely confused and was legitimately seeking clarification. If people can't ask questions then what are these boards here for? Or are there only certain things that people can ask about?

If anyone else would actually like to answer this question in a way that is not insulting or accusatory that would be great. And thank you to those who have been courteous enough to do this already.

i understand what your saying..and I do aggree with you. My husband wear shorts pretty much all year long. He don't have very many "pants"...And if its a "Non Formal" night then I don't understand why everyone would look down to someone with a nice pair of khaki shorts and collar shorts. But thats just my opinion!! :)

Each cruise line has a suggested dress code and it is up to the cruise lines to enforce this dress code. I don't look at what others are wearing but I do think that folks should respect their fellow guests on board and adhere to the dress code of the evening or dine in one of the casual alternative dining locations. Shorts are not part of the dining room suggested dress code and that should mean no shorts. Pretty simple to understand for anyone with common sense.;)

There was a sign in front of the Minstrel Dinning Room on Deck 5 on Brilliance of the Seas. I took a picture of it just two weeks ago. I'd post the picture but these boards do not make it easy to do. Here is a direct word for word quote. Like it or not, it seemms pretty clear shorts are not permitted.

Dear Guest.

In compliance with our dress code guest vacation policy, the following atire is not permitted in the Minstrel Dining Room at dinner.

Shorts / Bare feet / Tank Tops / Hats / Caps

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Maitre D' or Headwaiter.

Thank You

If anyone else would actually like to answer this question in a way that is not insulting or accusatory that would be great.

Here's what the website says:

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

Since you are on a 4-night cruise, it will be as bolded above. For me, casual doesn't say pants, but it does say slacks. Here's the thing... those who don't get turned away but aren't following the suggestions are just that... not following the guidelines. Khakis aren't "slacks" to me, but I doubt they would turn your BF away for wearing them. Many rules aren't enforced, but they are still there in case there are those blatant people. It's all about atmosphere/environment, but I've never really looked at what people wear at the dining room... even after I tell myself I will the next time I cruise, I still forget.

My DH did get turned away one time - embarassing to him because he hates any attention. It was high noon tea, and he was sent back because he didn't have a jacket. I doubt he would have been turned away if he wore jeans to formal night! :-) That's just his luck... like always getting searched on international travel even though he doesn't have one evil thought in him, let alone actually doing something illegal.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm generally a rule follower (at least the "spirit" of the rule), and it's less stressful for me to just follow it than to fight it (not to say that's what you're doing, because you've already pointed that out).

OK I will probably get flamed even more for this, but could you guys get off your high horses and just listen to the question before jumping down my throat?

I said in my original question that if this is the rule I am fine with that, but I was a bit confused by the rule since it seems so vague and I am hearing different reports about what actually goes on on the ships.

I'm not trying to get away with anything, and I'm certainly not suggesting that he go in ripped jeans just because the rule does not mention that this isn't allowed. In fact, I believe I said that he would not go dressed this way, I just think it is silly that the rule is stated in such a way that it disallows shorts but does not disallow other types of inappropriate attire. No, I don't think they should include scuba gear in their list of no no's, but they do say that you are not allowed to wear swimsuits and it doesn't say anything about jeans. Just my personal opinion but if we are all about wanting people to look nice and show decorum, I would rather see khaki shorts and a golf shirt for dinner than jeans and a t-shirt. But if the rules are not this way then they are not this way.

I'm sorry but I had a genuine question and was (and am) genuinely confused and was legitimately seeking clarification. If people can't ask questions then what are these boards here for? Or are there only certain things that people can ask about?

If anyone else would actually like to answer this question in a way that is not insulting or accusatory that would be great. And thank you to those who have been courteous enough to do this already.

Here is a picture from the RCCL brochure. It doesn't look like they are too strict about dress codes does it? :)

rccl_dining002.jpg

mum wore long shorts to dinner one night with a lovely top and shoes and she looked stunning yet was turned away because they were shorts. Now I can understand the reasoning here but there are also exceptions surely - womens fashion can look so smart.

Here is a picture from the RCCL brochure. It doesn't look like they are too strict about dress codes does it? :)

rccl_dining002.jpg

Could be lunch. The cruisers in the picture would be appropriately dressed, if this is lunch. AND...They can do so much these days with computer enhanced photos.

mum wore long shorts to dinner one night with a lovely top and shoes and she looked stunning yet was turned away because they were shorts. Now I can understand the reasoning here but there are also exceptions surely - womens fashion can look so smart.

A woman turned away for wearing shorts??? That is crazy. I always were bermuda shorts to dinner with a nice shirt and heels. Crazy.

All Royal Caribbean Compasses cleary state that shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner. This info is also on their web site. There is nothing ambiguous about it. Ah, but you feel that if the "rule" is not enforced then there is no "rule". There will always be those who feel they are above the rules. They like to characterize tehmselves as "free thinkers" or "independent spirits". I remember when I was a wee lad and I would say to my father "Gee dad, everyone does that." and he would invariably reply "that doesn't make it right". So yes it's true that some people wear shorts to the dining room at dinner and are allowed to enter the dining room or are not asked to leave BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT! Do what you wish (as it's obvious that that is what you intend to do) but don't ask for us to agree with your flaunting of the rules because "everyone does it". And just because you find kindred souls on these boards who agree with flaunting the rules, it is still wrong.

I've been on 2 royal cruises. I start wearing shorts in April,my first cruise my luggage was lost and didn't show up until day 3. I wore shorts and a tee shirt to formal night and nothing was said to me. On my honeymoon on the Mariner I wore shorts basically every night and nothing was said to me. I didn't even notice a sign or anything. I would have complied if I saw a sign, this was 2 years ago not sure of the policy has changed.

What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

A woman turned away for wearing shorts??? That is crazy. I always were bermuda shorts to dinner with a nice shirt and heels. Crazy

So a woman can wear shorts but not men?

I always alternated between bermuda shorts and pants on all of my previous cruises and nothing was ever said. Up until now I would have said that yes, women were allowed to wear shorts and not men. I don't know why they would say something to a man and not a woman. But from another post, I think that has since changed. Guess I'll sew a couple inches on my shorts and they will then be capris!!!! Nothing to say then!!

i have seen some cute long shorts- add 3 inches and they are capris- in the magazine these long and dressy shorts were paired with dressy tops and heels - i wondered if this cute, fun, dressy outfit would pass the muster on a cruise for casual night- guess i will stick to dressy capris and not worry about it any longer...lol

Archived