Family reunion on Alaska cruise

rickandpat

I'm sorry if this is a redudant question, but I didn't notice any recent threads with this topic. Can anyone give us suggestions on an Alaskan cruise given the following facts:

We are coming from Hawaii, Michigan and Arizona. Seattle would be easy and relatively inexpensive for everyone to fly into.

There are 6 kids, ages 10-15, and one grandmother in decent health.

Four of us are quite fit and adventuresome (kayaking, hiking, biking, etc.) and require lots of time on land. Frankly, my husband and I would much prefer a small ship experience with tons of hiking and kayaking, but the health and interests of a few of us makes a bigger ship a better choice - and the younger kids would do better there too.

Princess and HAL look good, I've also heard good things about Celebrity. A roundtrip would be a lot easier than a one-way, and I'm pretty sure none of us have more than a week or so for the whole trip (no land tours this time).

Thanks!

rickandpat...... A family reunion....a lot of effort and expense...and after all of that.....you really, really want to have great food/service on your ship :D !

I vote for Celebrity.

I vote for the Mercury!

They also have an excellent kid's program.

Sometimes, two one-way tickets don't have to be more than a roundtrip. We found this to be true with our two sailings in Alaska. You just need to really do some price-watching. Travelocity does really good at watching prices for you.

My opinion, Vancouver sailings are superior for inside passage sailing and less open ocean, the exception is NCL with Glacier Bay which I think is the top Seattle choice. Be sure to arrive the night before. Key with your touring plans is to agree with the other's to SPLIT UP depending on your touring interests. Alaska tours are too excellent to miss if of interest (many repeat regret Alaska visitors can attest to this :) ) and too costly to drag someone along with little or no interest. A cruise is an excellent reunion choice- plenty of choices for every one and the ability to get away from "group" travel. :) With groups I have sailed with, meeting up at dinner was more than enough "contact" with some people. ;) Plenty of space for all touring interests. :)

Princess has some very long port times on its itineraries from Seattle next year (10 hours Juneau, 12 Skagway). Small ship cruising is "the" way to go if it's feasible but with the diverse age etc. of your group, probably not the best option. Sailing from Vancouver and Seattle each have their advantages, the one big one for some of us being the lower airfare and also the convenience if trying to get back on disembarkation day (depending on where you are flying from, connections etc).

Princess has their Alaska 2005 info in brochure form out, and they along with Holland America, Celebrity and Royal Carib, NCL have it online. The ships from Seattle next year are Diamond and Sapphire Princess, Oosterdam and Amsterdam for HAL, Norwegian Star and Celeb Mercury. There rest of the 7-day Inside Passage cruises sail from Vancouver. IMHO with the diverse group I'd go with Princess or Celebrity.

It is very expensive to fly into Vancouver, but if you get a flight to Seattle, you can pick up the quick shuttle for about $40 each way and it is about a 3 hour drive (actually 2 , but with the border crossing 3). THis way, you can leave Vancouver as an option.

When we bought our tickets last year it was more expensive for us to fly to Seattle than Vancouver. With a group that diverse in ages and levels of activities I would suggest a Radiance class ship by RCCL. They will have the rock wall, mini golf, basketball, movie theater, arcade and all the things that us adults want too! I highly recommend the thermal suite for a day, it's a great place to relax and watch for whales or other wildlife while sitting on heated lounge chairs. :)

Misty

Archived