Alaskatours.com

cruisevers

My opinion only, but they are middle men only and run no tours. There priority is commissions. In Alaska it is extremely simple to book direct. There are advantages- direct answers to questions, immediate choice of times and confirmation. Direct cc information, complete knowledge about the tours. . Too many things can be miscommunicated and phone tag is a given.

I agree Budget Queen but we are having a problem. My DH wants to do a flightseeing tour out of Juneau but on a plane not a helicopter. I contacted Wings way back and they said we must book through our cruiseline. We are on Carnival so no prebooking with them. I thought I would book independently to guarantee he gets a flight. I have not found any other service in Juneau for a plane trip except this one. Any ideas?

Alaska Fly 'n' Fish Charters

Guided adventures by floatplane with an experienced bush pilot and wilderness guide. Pack Creek bear watching, freshwater fishing, wildlife safaris, glacier flightseeing and...

(907) 790-2120

Did you happen to try the above?? If you go with an agency- I would still choose a local out of Juneau.

Thanks for your responses. I have emailed Alaska Fly 'n' Fish Charters for more info, however their flightseeing is actually chartering the plane by the hour according to their website ($350 per hour) kind of pricey for 1 person. Doing this I would have to go as well to make it not so cost prohibitive. I'm not too keen on going. :confused:

I went to the Juneau web site also but it only lists the above company, Wings and helicopters. Hubby was in the Navy for 23 years and on many helicopters and is not too excited about them.

I would have thought that Juneau would have more fixed wing services being the size city it is.

If you are booking for your husband only, you might be better off to wait and book through the cruiseline. Here's what happened to me in June:

I wanted to do a helicopter glacier landing, and like you, my friend didn't want to do it. So I decided to go alone. I called Coastal Helicopters a couple of months ahead of time and made a reservation for myself. On the day of the flight, I dressed in layers and waited a half hour for pickup. When the van arrived, I was told that no one else had booked that flight, so the flight was canceled. They offered me the opportunity to go on the dog sledding trip or a midafternoon flight. I was unable to do either.

So...it was too late to book through the cruiseline, but all the people that did got to do the glacier landing. I thought I was doing the smart thing by making my own reservation, but I was the one that was outsmarted. Sometimes booking through the cruiseline isn't a bad idea...especially if you only need a single reservation.

Regardless of what anyone says there are times for the sake of planning and to avoid what happened to the last poster who did book direct as a solo, when it is simply easier and more prudent to book through the ship...you may pay a few dollars more but it's often with the same tour company and if the tour is cancelled you have no problem getting reimbursed.

Archived