Queen Victoria Maiden Voyage.

Colin_Cameron

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and I don't mean to start a roll call or anyting - but then again, why not. Is anyone else booked on the maiden voyage?

The reason I ask is, should I buy a visitors book to put in the Library? Seems pointless for three or four of us to turn up with one, and equally silly for us all(assuming there's more than me) to think that someone else will do it.

259 Days and counting - if my maths is right. :D

Regards, Colin.

My wife and I are booked. Whether we will actually decide to go is another thing however.

Assuming I do go, I'm completely easy about the purchase of a book. I wouldn't be signing it - I really cannot see the point.

Matthew

Kindlychap:

For the sake of everyone else who IS going on the sailing, I hope you decide not to go,...you have a way of pi$$ing on everyone's parade.

The last thing fellow maiden voyagers should have to put up with is listening to you yammer about how much better QE2 is,...

Colin, I say buy the book, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes,....

-Russ

Hi Colin,

You seem to have made a friend in linerguy. Which maiden are you signed up for as there is one before Xmas and one over Xmas?. We're thinking of taking up an option on one of them.

Del.

There is the Maiden Voyage on 11/12/07. Long since sold out.

There is a second cruise, marketed as "maiden" which fits between that an the maiden world cruise.

The second "maiden" is also sold out.

Matthew

(Who has been told by long standing crew members on the Queen Elizabeth 2 to avoid the Maiden voyage. If only because it will be an unfair time to judge the ship, as the crew will not have worked out the wrinkles....)

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and I don't mean to start a roll call or anyting - but then again, why not. Is anyone else booked on the maiden voyage?

The reason I ask is, should I buy a visitors book to put in the Library? Seems pointless for three or four of us to turn up with one, and equally silly for us all(assuming there's more than me) to think that someone else will do it.

Regards, Colin.

Well done Colin - buy the book, buy the book!! They are only a few pounds from WH Smith. Unfortunately we're not on this maiden voyage but it's good to hear from someone who is enthusiastic about it :D

They may not have ironed out all the wrinkles on a maiden voyage - but my god there is nothing else like one!! ;)

Regards

Ken

There is the Maiden Voyage on 11/12/07. Long since sold out.

There is a second cruise, marketed as "maiden" which fits between that an the maiden world cruise.

The second "maiden" is also sold out.

Matthew

(Who has been told by long standing crew members on the Queen Elizabeth 2 to avoid the Maiden voyage. If only because it will be an unfair time to judge the ship, as the crew will not have worked out the wrinkles....)

Two maiden voyages, Is that like getting your virginity back? <G>

anon

Well done Colin - buy the book, buy the book!! They are only a few pounds from WH Smith. Unfortunately we're not on this maiden voyage but it's good to hear from someone who is enthusiastic about it :D

They may not have ironed out all the wrinkles on a maiden voyage - but my god there is nothing else like one!! ;)

Regards

Ken

I'm on this cruise too with my sister. We CAN'T wait. I know it will an experience I remember for the rest of my life. I do expect a few wrinkles, but there's no way that's going to stop us having the best time:) :) :)

Having enjoyed reading others reviews and postings from ship I'll be very happy to do the same and share the magic with those not joining us.

Regards, Colin.

Im on the second Maiden voyage (Christmas and New Year ) ! :D

Ken, could you explain why?

David.

You have to be on one (well, on a special ship anyway) to appreciate it - we were on QM2's maiden voyage and the reception and send off we received at every port was amazing (a hairs on the back of your neck experience). But it's more than that, it's that special feeling when you are the first fare paying passengers to experience the ship.

Ken

it's that special feeling when you are the first fare paying passengers to experience the ship. Ken

And this one will be even more special with the drunks on MV Rustbucket leaning over their stern shouting 'Oh, do keep up!'......nonetheless, best wishes to the brave souls undertaking (any of the several) maiden voyages......;)

I doubt Princess will let Cunard muck this one up, even if the ship is not designed as a World Cruiser......

Peter

And this one will be even more special with the drunks on MV Rustbucket leaning over their stern shouting 'Oh, do keep up!'......nonetheless, best wishes to the brave souls undertaking (any of the several) maiden voyages......;)

I doubt Princess will let Cunard muck this one up, even if the ship is not designed as a World Cruiser......

Peter

Well ... at least I'm sure they won't have to cancel delivery as well as maiden voyages as they had to in '69 when Tin Lizzie's turbines didn't work :rolleyes:

Ken

Well ... at least I'm sure they won't have to cancel delivery as well as maiden voyages as they had to in '69 when Tin Lizzie's turbines didn't work :rolleyes: Ken

I love hostages to fortune! But being the twelfth sausage off the line she should be safe enough....though how well a ship designed for 12-14 day itineraries copes with stores on a World Cruise only time will tell - she will be the first Spirit/Vista to circumnavigate the world - wonder why none of the other owners have ever sent one round? Not as though several (P&O, HAL) are not experienced World Cruisers.......:D

Wonder where she'll run out of Tonic water......

Peter

I love hostages to fortune! But being the twelfth sausage off the line she should be safe enough....though how well a ship designed for 12-14 day itineraries copes with stores on a World Cruise only time will tell - she will be the first Spirit/Vista to circumnavigate the world - wonder why none of the other owners have ever sent one round? Not as though several (P&O, HAL) are not experienced World Cruisers.......:D

Wonder where she'll run out of Tonic water......

Peter

Oh come on Peter - Arcadia spends about 4 months every year cruising around the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal - do they have logistics problems? NO ... so why should QV - it's around the world not to the moon :rolleyes:

Ken

Arcadia spends about 4 months every year cruising around the Caribbean and through the Panama Canal

As do almost all the other Vistas.....you don't think that the Caribbean might have well established infrastructure do you? Absolutely NO curiosity why NONE of the other ELEVEN Vistas have EVER been sent round the world by ANY of their owners? Well, you did say you liked maiden voyages - and this sure as heck is one.......:eek:

Peter

There's been no need to send any of the other Vistas around the world. Carnival does not operate 'round the world cruises and Holland America has Prinsendam. Had Arcadia been completed as QV, she would have no doubt been sent on world cruises; as it stands, it's kind of hard to beat Aurora and Oriana.

Cunard will have a three ship fleet (at least for a while),...and, after QE2 goes, QV will settle into the role rather well, albeit without the famous career. Hopefully, in time,....

-Russ

Just had an idea.

Come the Jan '08 Tandem Crossing, what happens if you're unpacking on QV and realise you left something vital behind? Simply arrange for the item to be sent to Southampton and "Tin Lizzie" can scamper back to pick it up for you. Then she can retrace her wake and catch up with QV (who'll have advanced only a few miles).

Alternatively, "Tin Lizzie" (so-named in honour of a transportation icon which sold around 15 million models?) could simply do the crossing in 4 days and we can all go and bag the best bargains in the January sales! Hurrah!:D

PS One day, when QE2 has retired and I've managed to remove my tongue from my cheek, I'd love to go on Tardy Tori........sorry.....QV. x

As do almost all the other Vistas.....you don't think that the Caribbean might have well established infrastructure do you? Absolutely NO curiosity why NONE of the other ELEVEN Vistas have EVER been sent round the world by ANY of their owners? Well, you did say you liked maiden voyages - and this sure as heck is one.......:eek:

Peter

Of course the Caribbean has a well established infrastructure - but then so does Mexico, Hawaii, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore etc.etc. it isn't rocket science.

As Russ says, other Lines haven't sent Vistas around the world because there's no call not because they can't. Anyway, none of them have been built as a classic Cunarder ;)

Ken

who is on part of the maiden world cruise but not the REAL maiden voyage

Just had an idea.

Come the Jan '08 Tandem Crossing, what happens if you're unpacking on QV and realise you left something vital behind? Simply arrange for the item to be sent to Southampton and "Tin Lizzie" can scamper back to pick it up for you. Then she can retrace her wake and catch up with QV (who'll have advanced only a few miles).

I think you must have your tongue much further back than your cheek ;)

Alternatively, "Tin Lizzie" (so-named in honour of a transportation icon which sold around 15 million models?) ...

Not so, she has an aluminium superstructure and bolt on prefab cabins - and we all know what they make out of aluminium - TIN CANS :eek:

PS One day, when QE2 has retired and I've managed to remove my tongue from my cheek, I'd love to go on Tardy Tori........sorry.....QV. x

When she's scrapped in a few years do you mean you'll join all the other armchair hypocrites and put your tongue somewhere else :D

Ken

who is very careful with his tongue

Not so, she has an aluminium superstructure and bolt on prefab cabins - and we all know what they make out of aluminium - TIN CANS :eek:

Actually, most cans are made from steel - which is what the QV & QM2 are built of (and so too is the QE2 - she only had about 1100 tons of Aluminium when built) and the use of Aluminium in the QE2 allowed her to go one deck higher - on the QM2 to do the same they stepped back the superstucture - aesthetically a less satisfactory solution, in my view....

Peter

Actually, most cans are made from steel - which is what the QV & QM2 are built of (and so too is the QE2 - she only had about 1100 tons of Aluminium when built) and the use of Aluminium in the QE2 allowed her to go one deck higher - on the QM2 to do the same they stepped back the superstucture - aesthetically a less satisfactory solution, in my view....

Peter

Whatever :rolleyes:

Archived