Seabourn Web Page - Late 2008 Is Up!

SantaAna,CA

I have just had a quick look and i was disappointed to see that the majority of the cruises are exactly the same as 2007 and previous years! It is a shame that new ports of call are not added especially in the med.

18th September Dover to Dover is worth looking at as it is showing a call at Martinique between Liverpool and Dublin:) (this is one of the few cruises to have new ports of call, although a little close to home!)

Hi Jane

Thanks for letting us know that the remainder of 2008 is now released, i shall now have a look and plan my vaccations for next year!!! deb

You are quite welcome. When will 'we' get to sail together again?

Jane

18th September Dover to Dover is worth looking at as it is showing a call at Martinique between Liverpool and Dublin:) (this is one of the few cruises to have new ports of call, although a little close to home!)

And, some of the Caribbean cruises from Barbados include a slight detour to Sweden. The copy editor must be on the crossing.

*lol*...Johnny, I saw that too. They must be turning on the afterburners to make a one day trip of it!

Eric. Alot of people may not check Seabourn's webpage everyday. This was for those who may not have known the sailings were up.

Hope to see alot of you in 2008!

West Coast Jane

the Pride has dropped one of their one week cruises in the Caribbean and have added a trip to Ft. Lauderdale in it's place. My and Jane's cruise is still there almost. They still have dropped Margarita Island, Venezuela which I do not understand...... :confused:

BB, I also noticed they dropped Margarita Island. I'm glad I went on the horseback riding tour on my last cruise.....it was one of the highlights, Margarita was a beautiful island! But we pick up Guadeloupe, a new island for me. I'm sure I'll be happy wherever they drop anchor!

P.S. BB, what is your little emoticon holding onto, that it keeps brushing away the internet explorer thingy?

Jane ;)

Not exactly a "Yippee!" moment. I've been awaiting these "new" itineraries for quite awhile but there seem to be virtually no new cruises for the next two years. Frankly, I don't get it. What took so long? They seem to have taken this year's schedule and simply increased the prices. When does the first new ship go into service? Maybe that's the time to do some serious looking.

2009 will be the "launch" of the first new one, xpl. But I don't know when and where, or the itinerary. Seabourn is taking wait list reservations, but that's just too far ahead for me. I notice Seabourn jettisoned their East Coast fall trips next year. Too bad, I was considering one of them for 2008.

Jane :)

There was an interesting discussion at the Cruise Convention in Miami earlier this month: Passengers want new destinations, but then those new itineraries are hard to fill...because mot passengers are hesitant to try new ports.

An example is on the Regent board at the moment: Regent dropped Ketchikan from its Alaska cruises for Campbell River. Ketchikan is a very touristy port with nothing much other than a lot of rain. The discussion is about whether to take an alternative cruise line because of the change.

Seabourn actually has more diverse offerings than any other line I can think of. It is impossible to appease every guest when you consider the window of availability of the ports and the guests and each guest's interests.

Alternatively, many of the ports have much more than you can really take in in just one day. If the ports were great the first time, possibly seeking out the port's "dark underbelly" might be a really great option...especially at some of the more unique ones.

Seabourn has more diverse offerings than any other line? I don't think so. They've dropped Australia & New Zealand. Also, Indonesia, Bali & the Philippines. They don't stop in Kenya anymore nor anywhere else in Africa.They don't go to Polynesia, Hawaii, Japan nor Alaska (all "offerings" of other lines). They don't visit Libya nor Syria (as some lines do) and dropped Sri Lanka this Spring (political trouble there).

I was speaking of the ports in the areas they do cruise. If you add up unique ports it is one of the most diverse. Other lines may go to more continents, but not more ports.

When you deal with ports such as Libya, Seabourn has had it on its itineraries for 2 years and was unable to disembark any US passengers unless they had individual visas...which is an ordeal to obtain. Costs, for example, has a very low US passenger ratio, so making port is not a big deal.

Similarly, going south toward Kenya and Tanzania is obviously not terribly safe, especially on a smaller ship.

You can't be all things to all people, but emphasizing your strengths (such as see parts of Greece or Italy or Spain that you can't with any other cruise line) is a good way to go.

BB-I think you are correct--Seabourn is treading water, so to speak, until a new ship is ready. When are they suppose to actually start construction of the new ship? When that happens we can then begin to get a reasonably accurate estimate of when it will be put into service.

You are quite welcome. When will 'we' get to sail together again?

Jane[/quote

Hi Jane

I have booked 2 weeks on the Legend 23rd June and 2 weeks on the Spirit 18th August 2007, nothing else booked as yet.

What trips have you planned?

Deb

Alas, Deb, no match. I have booked the Legend (7/28) to the Adriatic Coast and the Spirit (first time) from Istanbul to Dubai in October. Then, the Pride for a bit in SA.

The Dover to Dover trip looks nice, but even for me, too many repetitive ports. Might consider the Dover-Lisbon cruise, however.

Jane

PS: Apologies to WC Jane for responding to Deb's thanks. I had posted info about the new itineraries way back and assumed that was the reference.

Even when they stick in one new port into their itineraries these are all basically the same old same old cruises over and over again. How do they expect to keep attracting repeat cruisers except for those who go aboard simply to be aboard? Between now and March 2009 there is basically only one cruise I would consider because it is an itinerary I have not yet done. It just forces me to consider other lines, something which I hate doing because I love Seabourn so much.

Archived