NYC Hotel Recommendations?

stardest17

If you stay in the Times Square area, you'll be fairly close. Howard Johnson just opened a new hotel at 36th and 10th Ave. (I think it's 36th, I just go an e-mail about the new hotel). The cruise terminal is a bit more uptown, but you can cab it quickly from there.

For some good rates- I stay at the Super 8 3-4 times/year. Central location, and short cab ride from the port. Especially good if you want a Broadway play the night before, walking distance to plenty. :)

Keep checking the rates, most of the time for me, they have dropped. Including last trip between Christmas and New Year's. dropped $100/night :)

For some good rates- I stay at the Super 8 3-4 times/year. Central location, and short cab ride from the port. Especially good if you want a Broadway play the night before, walking distance to plenty. :)

Keep checking the rates, most of the time for me, they have dropped. Including last trip between Christmas and New Year's. dropped $100/night :)

ooh, I'm so nervous about this place! I do have a reservation here for two rooms and it's fairly reasonable ... We're taking my mom and the kids here for their first trip to NYC and we know they'll love Times Square best. We also have a set of reservations at the Embassy Suites near Battery Park ... I know that hotel will be nicer, but seems like it might be a little more out of the way of the "excitement."

I'll need to cancel one or the other ... argh! How to decide?

ooh, I'm so nervous about this place! I do have a reservation here for two rooms and it's fairly reasonable ... We're taking my mom and the kids here for their first trip to NYC and we know they'll love Times Square best. We also have a set of reservations at the Embassy Suites near Battery Park ... I know that hotel will be nicer, but seems like it might be a little more out of the way of the "excitement."

If you have kids with you, cancel Embassy Suites. After you have done the Statue of Liberty, not a lot to keep kids interested around Battery Park (Wall Street, Ground Zero, Government buildings, Tribeca-which is galleries, high dollar shops, etc.) They will have a great time around Times Square. You are centrally located and the subways are easily accessible. Enjoy!!!

I have stayed at that Embassy Suites, it is a nice hotel but it is way out of the way. It is a walk to the subway station and I didn't feel very comfortable late at night, walking back to the hotel from the subway station. We did just stay at the Time Square Hilton and loved that location better. We used the subway during the day to get where we wanted and always worked our way back to Times Square at night for a show or ESPN zone. Even at midnight out on the streets in Time Square, it was full of people and I didn't feel uncomfortable walking down a deserted street to my hotel.

I don't know why??? Unless you are looking for a more upscale hotel?? I stay here all the time and have always been very happy with the lower rates (keep checking, they can change)and excellent location.

If your priorities are a glossy perfect hotel room then this probably isn't for you.

I don't know why??? Unless you are looking for a more upscale hotel?? I stay here all the time and have always been very happy with the lower rates (keep checking, they can change)and excellent location.

If your priorities are a glossy perfect hotel room then this probably isn't for you.

Glossy and perfect are not important to me. Not spending as much on two nights in NYC as I am for five people on a week-long cruise IS important to me!:p So that's my objective this time out.

Since we're traveling as a party of six, I need two rooms. Or just one at the Embassy Suites.

What I worry about at the Super 8 is the risk of the air conditioning not working, for example. But I do like the idea of two rooms (two bathrooms!), etc. And, if it's "nice enough" we'll do fine making an adventure out of it!

With the Embassy Suites, I don't know that area very well and wasn't sure how out of the way it was. And if staying at a "nicer" hotel there was worth the tradeoff of giving up a Times Square location.

So thank you for telling me about your experiences at each place. I think I'll do what I always do when I can't decide ... throw it back to my husband!:p

Thanks!

Cindy

Glossy and perfect are not important to me. Not spending as much on two nights in NYC as I am for five people on a week-long cruise IS important to me!:p So that's my objective this time out.

Since we're traveling as a party of six, I need two rooms. Or just one at the Embassy Suites.

What I worry about at the Super 8 is the risk of the air conditioning not working, for example. But I do like the idea of two rooms (two bathrooms!), etc. And, if it's "nice enough" we'll do fine making an adventure out of it!

With the Embassy Suites, I don't know that area very well and wasn't sure how out of the way it was. And if staying at a "nicer" hotel there was worth the tradeoff of giving up a Times Square location.

So thank you for telling me about your experiences at each place. I think I'll do what I always do when I can't decide ... throw it back to my husband!:p

Thanks!

Cindy

Are you sure you can put six people in one room at Embassy Suites? They wouldn't alllow it last July at Embassy Suites, Piscataway NJ. We flew in about 2:00PM (2 adults). Our friends ( 2 adults, 2 kids-9 & 16) arrived from Pennsylvania and we all went to the hotel. We had made the reservation online-4 adults, 2 kids. They would not let us all stay in the same room. They stated if the kids were little (crib size) we would be allowed. But because the kids required twin size beds, we had to book two rooms. The rooms are only designed to hold a maximum of 5 plus a crib (fire code regulations). Better check this out thoroughly. We went to another hotel and booked two rooms.

Yeah, I did check with them and they said six would be fine. And it lets you book six on their website ... but I do know how sometimes that kind of stuff can change between the time you call from home and actually arrive! That's happened to us, too ...

I will keep our Super 8 reservations. I think, for our family, the location will outweigh the "possible" negatives. We usually do about 10,000 miles every summer in family road trip cross-country and Super 8 is a great choice for us when all we're looking for is two rooms at the end of the day.

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

I recently stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill. It is located on Lexington and 37th. It is in a very safe area (Murray Hill) and you can walk to Macy's and Times Square. It is also very close to Grand Central (subways). I only paid about $175 per night through priceline (very reasonable for a weekend night in NYC).

Archived