Does Carnival overbook cabins?

gospelle

I'm concerned. :(

I found the perfect cruise, the perfect cabin on the aft corner with a exrtra deep wraparound deck (freedom, 6483). I went to the Carnival.com website to book it and was presented with a button to select the cabin. When I pressed it, I'm presented with an error message saying it is unavailable. I try another cabin's button, same result, a third cabin's button and this time it allows it, but it's not the cabin I want.

I head off to my favorite online travel agent to see if their interactive maps have an easier way to see what's available and lo and behold my perfect cabin is showing available. I proceed to book it via the online travel agent.

I go back to carnival.com and yes, I'm booked, but no mention of the cabin number. On a hunch, I go back to my online travel agent and see if my cabin still shows available or not. I does!! :eek: I panic, and call them 3 times, each time they confirm (once with me in a 3 way conference call) with Carnival that I'm booked in that cabin and that it is not available to anyone else.

Yet, it still shows available on the online travel agent's site.

So, I came here, because I know if anything like this has happened before, you folks would know about it. So tell me cruiser friends, Do I have anything to worry about?

If you are looking on Carnival after you booked thru someone else, their site does not allow you to see a cabin #. I have the same problem. I booked thru a TA and called to find out and the web site folks say this is how its set up.

Let's just hope we don't get our cabins moved. I too picked a particular cabin, in fact I also picked that date instead of a sooner date to get that particular cabin.

If you are looking on Carnival after you booked thru someone else, their site does not allow you to see a cabin #. I have the same problem. I booked thru a TA and called to find out and the web site folks say this is how its set up.

Let's just hope we don't get our cabins moved. I too picked a particular cabin, in fact I also picked that date instead of a sooner date to get that particular cabin.

Yes you can view cabins available on Carnival if you have a user acct. pretend to book the cruise they will show what is available

Without a doubt, Carnivals web site needs a major update.

As for the other website showing the cabin, it obviously doesn't function in real time and requires periodic updates.

I don't think there is anything nefarious going on.

Further to my last post, and to firefly's comment, if you go to carnival.com even now, you'll see my cabin (6483) on the Aug 14, 2008 sailing on Freedom continues to show up as a cabin 9A choice. Just as it did when I originally tried to book it.

When you click it, then you get the message, but that's EXACTLY what happened to me. I then booked via the travel agent system, which STILL shows it available.

gospelle:

I just tried to book YOUR cabin on that date and got the following message:

5079 : The requested stateroom has been selected by another user. Please select another stateroom from the available stateroom list.

So looks like you are all set.

Wish I were going with you. :( Enjoy!

Yes, I know you can pull up the cabin #'s of the available cabins.

What I meant was you cannot sign in and see your OWN cabin #. Thats my personal gripe with Carnival's site.

sorry I did not say which cabin #'s I meant you cannot see and so its my fault that folks did not understand my point.

sorry firefly, yeah, that bugs me too. In fact, when I log in, and click on "Stateroom Details", it shows only a picture which states:

Balcony Cabin, incluses category 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E

Not reassuring when I'm supposed to be booked in category 9A.

When you log in after you have booked with several other cruiselines, you can log into the cruiseline site and put in the booking confirmation # and the site shows you your cabin # immediately, unless you booked a guarantee.

Carnival does not allow you to log in and see your cabin # as to me it should.

Maybe this is clearer?? (clear as mud what I meant lol).

sorry firefly, yeah, that bugs me too. In fact, when I log in, and click on "Stateroom Details", it shows only a picture which states:

Balcony Cabin, incluses category 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E

Not reassuring when I'm supposed to be booked in category 9A.

That's what Im getting, is my category :(

I thought it must be me so I called their web site problems # and was told nope thats how its supposed to be, huh? yikes

That's what Im getting, is my category :(

I thought it must be me so I called their web site problems # and was told nope thats how its supposed to be, huh? yikes

If that is your only issue.. well we had the samething with our 2nd cruise showed everything but the 9A.. but we had a 9A.. don't fret.. you will get that wrap.. I have to wait another 282 days for our 2nd one :D

Go log in and try to book a gift for your room.. enter your booking ID and room #.. if you have it it will bring up your info!!

firefly.. did you go to Carnival and click on My Reservations and then go to Modify booking? It should show you cabin number there. I know I check mine all the time to see if I have been upgraded. Don't touch anything here of course. You wouldn't really want to Modify your booking!

This works great to confirm you still have the cabin, you requested.

If that is your only issue.. well we had the samething with our 2nd cruise showed everything but the 9A.. but we had a 9A.. don't fret.. you will get that wrap.. I have to wait another 282 days for our 2nd one :D

Go log in and try to book a gift for your room.. enter your booking ID and room #.. if you have it it will bring up your info!!

firefly.. did you go to Carnival and click on My Reservations and then go to Modify booking? It should show you cabin number there. I know I check mine all the time to see if I have been upgraded. Don't touch anything here of course. You wouldn't really want to Modify your booking!

If you book through a TA, you may access "My Reservation", but have no "Modify Booking" availability. That's what I have read on previous posts, and that is what I am experiencing as a result of booking through a TA vs. directly with Carnival.

You can verify your cabin number on Carnivals website. Log on. Click on "My Reservation". Under "Cruise Control", click on "Modify Booking". You will then be able to see your cruise information, including your cabin number. Afterwards, just click "Cancel".

You can verify your cabin number on Carnivals website. Log on. Click on "My Reservation". Under "Cruise Control", click on "Modify Booking". You will then be able to see your cruise information, including your cabin number. Afterwards, just click "Cancel".

Only if you book through Carnival Direct, if you book through a TA you can't.

I just tried to book cabin 6483 on the Freedom Europe cruise on 8/14/08 and it is still showing available on the travel agent site. There is only one 9A that is booked for that cruise. I would get a confirmation from your TA showing your cabin selection.

Thank you for all the replies. Here are some comments about your, um.. er... comments. :p

1st. I do not have a "modify booking" option.

2nd. If I try and purchase anything and put in my reservation ID and cabin number, I get a message saying I have to call to order anything on mediteranian cruises.

3rd. I do have a confirmation from the travel agent. I just don't know that I trust it.

What I'd really like to know is what would happen if someone else tried to book my cabin (6483) using one of the online TA's which still show it as available. I've done it myself, right up to the point where they ask for the credit card and up to that point, it shows my cabin as available.

I've selected a cabin before on various websites then when I went back to look at others then came back to the original one it was gone. I believe when you put it in your cart it ties that cabin up for a few minutes. I was actually online with a TA once and put one in the cart looking at it to compare price and she said oops it is not available anymore, so I am pretty sure that is an issue some people have. Go to a website (I use southwest airlines website just for checking things out) go to the point to which you have to pay. Then back up a couple of pages and do it again and the cabin will be gone. 10 minutes later it is back.

It looks like several people have answered you. Nope, I dont have a modify button because I booked thru a TA, not thru Carnival. I think its a rotten shame that Carnival doesnt show you your own cabin # when you log into your own booking on their site unless you book thru them.

I dont want to bug my TA, but I want to see it and be sure Carnival isnt changing the cabin I booked.

Archived