Would a five night "Alaskan sampler" include glaciers?

San Diego Ellie

Island Wings in Ketchikan offers a flight to Misty Fjords, as well as a longer excursion that flies over the glaciers: http://islandwings.com/sfs.html

If seeing glaciers is important, I'd opt for a 7-day cruise that goes to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. You can also visit the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and most cruise ships include that port.

Thanks, Nancy, for the quick reply. I will reconsider the five day cruise in view of your input on seeing glaciers.

Be aware that my input is from reading, as I will be there for the first time this June! I imagine that particular cruise is early in the season and at a good price, and I could see doing a short cruise like that if you've already been to Alaska. However, I personally wouldn't do it instead of a 7-day cruise for a first-time visit.

Someone :D recently pointed out that cruise to me from Vancouver to Seattle with a Ketchikan port. Sounded interesting since I enjoyed Ketchikan (Misty Fjords and the eagles <two different places> especially). But I too would not do that for an Alaskan experience. You are mostly at sea (2 days I believe). You might get more bang for your Alaskan buck on a 7 night cruise.

If you have a glacier priority, this wouldn't be an option I would consider. IF you opt for the glacier flight- which is costly, you probably could have purchased a 7 day cruise. Seeing glaciers from the air, for me is a supplement to seeing them from the water. Two different experiences.

On the scale, Mendenhall in NO way is in any similar ballpark compared to Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

Archived