Transatlantic - east or west - which is best?

I know that in certain areas, it makes a difference which direction you are traveling, as far as rough waters. For example, going from California to the Mexican Riviera is usually smoother southbound (with the current) than northbound (against the current).

Is this line of reasoning applicable to transatlantic and because of currents is one directions a better bet for a smooth crossing than the other?

We are planning this sometime in 2008 perhaps, and can either do the spring eastbound to Europe from the US or the Westbound from Europe to US in the fall.

Ellie

I know that in certain areas, it makes a difference which direction you are traveling, as far as rough waters. For example, going from California to the Mexican Riviera is usually smoother southbound (with the current) than northbound (against the current).

Is this line of reasoning applicable to transatlantic and because of currents is one directions a better bet for a smooth crossing than the other?

We are planning this sometime in 2008 perhaps, and can either do the spring eastbound to Europe from the US or the Westbound from Europe to US in the fall.

Ellie

I don't know, from what I have gathered east to west is smoother but the real benefit of that direction is the hours you gain. By the time we got back from our North Atlantic cruise we were so well rested. We just kept picking up hours each night. NMnita

I don't know, from what I have gathered east to west is smoother but the real benefit of that direction is the hours you gain. By the time we got back from our North Atlantic cruise we were so well rested. We just kept picking up hours each night. NMnita

Spot on 25 hour days are far better than 23 hour days even though the crossing takes exactly the same length of time.

We are lucky we can do there and back with a number of P&O cruises lasting about 3 weeks.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

LOL! I agree with Nita about picking up time! We have only done West to East in the spring. We will be on our third into Barcelona in 3 weeks time. Our first into Italy was a good crossing. It was a little choppy about the 2nd to 3rd day and we had some rain and cooler temps in the high 60's. The one into Barcelona was lovely. Very nice sea days and a good crossing. I don't know what some call smooth, but these were very good crossings. We had some pitch and roll and if you're used to sailing the Caribbean in summer, this may be a little less smooth, but certainly nothing fear inducing ;). I do know that the weather is cooler sailing into Southampton, therefore the seas may be a little choppier. I have total faith in the Captain's ability to keep us safe! Next time though, I think we'll go east to west just so we can have more cruise time!

I have crossed the Atlantic four times, twice West to East and twice East to West. As far as I know, most of the conditions we experienced were affected by the weather systems and winds, not so much the prevailing currents. We had rough seas coming and going so it made no difference. We sailed on Cunard, so their vessels are built to withstand extreme conditions, (most vessels are) but these ocean liners truly earn their reputation. About 10 years ago, the QE2 was hit by a rogue wave estimated at about 95 feet. Although it bent some rails and blew out some windows on the Lido deck, most passengers slept thru it. Unbelievable. I would choose your direction for cruising using other factors than sea conditions as it pertains to the Atlantic.

We did the QE2 Southhampton to NYC in July 2001.

The seas were good and the hours gained were priceless. We spent 8 days running aroung London before the cruise and this added perk was excellent. We were so well rested when we returned to the US.

When we have some more available time, I think we would rather do the West to East TA. When I begin a trip in Europe, I am so excited, I cannot sleep on the way over. That makes adapting to their time terrible - oh the jet lag!!!

Coming home doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

So I think the next should be the TA then that new Greek Isles B2B. Sounds good doesn't it?!! Also that time of year is not as busy. I will never go to Europe again in June, July, or August. JMHO

Ideally if you are doing east to west you can adjust to the jet lag, by arriving in Europe (port of embarkation or near) a day or two prior to sailing. This gives you a chance to see a little of the area and rest before embarkation day. Then you will be picking up all those hours on your way back. NMnita

So what's the big deal about 6 hours? So 6 of our 17 days this spring will be 23 hours instead of 24 (or 25 the other way). I guess that means I'll only get 10 hours of sleep those days instead of 11.

2 of my first 4 crossings were westbound, but all 9 since then have been eastbound. Between getting out of the misery of an overnight flight, the added excitement of the upcoming stay in Europe (as opposed to the letdown at the end of the trip), the longer days in April/May as opposed to September/October/November and the better weather in Europe (from my point of view, anyway; I hate hot weather), there's no comparison.

Our spring crossings that have headed for southern Europe (which is most of them) have all been very smooth, approaching dead calm at times. More northerly ones (including last year to Copenhagen) can be cooler, rougher and rainy.

My wife and I did a transatlantic last year followed by a trip around the Med. We are in favor of the west to east, because you have no jet lag - losing only one hour each night. You arrive in Europe rested and on time. Well, that's our opinion.

Archived