September Hurricanes and Cruising

We're going on the GOS out of Baltimore the beginning of September. I know that this is hurricane season, but really didn't give it much thought until I saw 'Alex' coming up the coast. Now I'm beginning to wonder what would happen to our cruise if there is a hurricane coming up the coast when we are scheduled to leave.

Anyone ever had this happen? (I know that the captain has the right to change the itinerary if neccessary)

I think I recall a story about a group of passengers last year that were headed to Bermuda and the ship got detoured to Canada. There were a lot of upset passengers as they only had summer clothing and it was cold in Canada.

Well if the cruise were departing the same day as a hurricane hit Baltimore it would probably play hell with your trip. If not, the ship will manuever to avoid the hurricane, although it could be a rough trip.

There is a reason why those fall cruises are cheaper than summer cruises.

jc

We sailed last September and narrowly missed Hurricane Isabella. I know for a fact that RCL does not want to lose the revenue of an unsailed cruise, so they will do everthing possible to make sure you're cruise sails, and is safe and as comfortable as possible. The timing would have to be just right and the chance of that are small. But, if your cruise were to be cancelled or delayed, it's still better than riding out that type of storm.

Try not to worry about it until it gets closer to the day.

By the way, Isabella turned north and we had a fabulous cruise. She had been heading straight for Miami!

Happened to us last year as you mentioned. But we wernt on RCCL.

We were going to Bermuda and the night before found out that we were going to be detoured to Canada and Maine.

Needless to say we wernt happy, for several reasons,

Just keep your ear to the ground if you think a storm might be coming.

And if it does contact RCCL and make them give you the proper information as to where you might be going.

Luckily we pestered Celebrity until they finally told us of the changing itinerary. Half the ship didnt know of the change and

still had all the summer gear packed instead of a few sweatshirts and jeans.

This was the first time I have even had a problem going in Sept. And it hasnt and wont deter us from continuing to go.

It is the best time for us, because the kids are in school and work has slowed down enough to vacation.

You just have to be willing to take the chance that it might happen.

We got married on the Sensation in September 2000 and on our last day at sea Hurricane Gilbert was off the Florida coast. It forced us to re-route our path around the hurricane and stay away from the coast. We got an extra day of vacation! It turned into an 8 day instead of a 7 day. It was greeeeeaaaaat!

My husband and I are scheduled for a cruise on the Mariner on 8/22. This was one of the first questions that I asked a Travel Agent. I was told that assuming you can board ship with no problems that the ship will detour around the hurricane. She also said that there was much more manuverability (sp) in the Eastern Caribbean but that if the Western Caribbean was involved that they would also detour within the Gulf if it looked promising otherwise they would sail into the Eastern.

If the weather was bad at the Port of Embarkation I was told that the ship could be moved to another Port. Guess that's when the contact numbers are important.

Hope this helps and hope that none of us have to find out.

We sailed Western last year during Hurricane Isabell. All the Eastern ships switched to Western itineraries. It's better to be safe the sorry and you'll still be cruising which is what's important....and safe!

We sailed Western last year during Hurricane Isabell. All the Eastern ships switched to Western itineraries. It's better to be safe the sorry and you'll still be cruising which is what's important....and safe!

Now I wouldn't mind my Western Itinerary being turned into an Eastern Itinerary. I just don't want to end up in Canada!

We learned we love cruising hurricane season! I love the rougher waters, cheaper fares, etc.

You might miss a port or change a port or two but if you stay open minded and think of it as just a "cruise" it should still be fun. I agree, changing climates would be more difficult.

We learned we love cruising hurricane season! I love the rougher waters, cheaper fares, etc.

You might miss a port or change a port or two but if you stay open minded and think of it as just a "cruise" it should still be fun. I agree, changing climates would be more difficult.

I must say, I do enjoy just being on the ship and on vacation!

I just don't want to miss Belize. Our last cruise we booked specifically for Belize and that was the only port we didn't make, due to ship engine trouble. We got an extra day at sea.

We were stormed out leaving Barcelona and the captain made a wise decision to stay in port. (Later the ports closed). We had free cocktails and a blast on our first night onboard. There were free cocktail on our second day too.

Felt sorry for all the people who missed out on Villefranche, but then again Rockin-rollercoaster all night is nothing to look forward to.

Fredrik

Some of the ships who were diverted to New England and Canada landed here. I would have been totally ripped if I were to book a Caribbean cruise only to land up at home. Has this happened to anyone?

Archived