Pressure booking future cruise onboard...

If I were to check future cruise prices while onboard my next cruise...do they pressure you to book with them, or can you take it or leave it with no hassle. I know what it feels like when it's time to leave the Spa onboard. All of you who have done this can you give me your feedback??

Iv never had any trouble saying "let me think about this" if Im not sure. Of course I have no trouble saying no to the guy(s) who want to take your photo on cruises either and others claim they are unable to just say no thanks and keep on walking.

I have never been pressured to book another cruise when dealing with the LA on board. Just let them know that you're interested in some pricing on future cruises. Just make sure that you make an appointment as on some sailings the LA's appointment book fills up fast.

I have never been pressured in any way. Be sure to make an appointment with the LA. If you have time blocked out with the LA he/she will take that time to help you in any way. The ones we encountered have never been any less than helpful and happy to answer questons without any pressure at all.

The only pressure felt by us is from me going "we *must* re-book dh, we simply *MUST*". But by the time we sign up to visit the LA I've made sure to have done all my pre-cruise homework (looking at weeks, ships and itineraries in advance) and dh is so relaxed and having such a fabulous time that there really is NO pressure. We just belly up to the bar, err desk....

I do suggest a bit of research in advance so you can use your allotted time wisely (in choosing just the right cabin, hee hee).

Good luck!

say you do decide to book a future cruise. What kind of down payment do you have to put down?

I believe it's $250/person for a 7 day Caribbean. We booked for 4 of us so we put down $1000. You could chance it and book for only 2 and then add two later, but I always worry that the room I really want won't be available at that point (if you book 2, they may only put you initially in a room that holds 2 and you'll need to change to get a 3rd or 4th person to fit)

say you do decide to book a future cruise. What kind of down payment do you have to put down?

If it's the new "open booking" where you are not booking a specific cruise, it's $100.

If it's a 5 day or shorter cruise, it's $100.

If it's a 6-8 day cruise, it's $250.

If it's a 9 day or longer cruise, it's $450.

All prices quoted are per person.

The only pressure we felt was from the other (6) passengers waiting to book. Everyone who knew what they wanted to book wanted to butt in front of the people ahead of them. I was next in line and several of them approached me and said, hey we know what we want to book, we are "gold", "platinum", "diamond" members and will only take a couple of minutes...they were all very rude.

Since I too knew what I wanted to book I refused to give up my spot, it only took about 7 minutes. :D And we will be "diamond" members after our cruise, lol!

So, my advice is to know what you want to book, and if you are not ready to book, start researching :D They will have the same prices as RCI's website, however, they may have more cabin options.

###

I do suggest a bit of research in advance so you can use your allotted time wisely (in choosing just the right cabin, hee hee).

Good luck!

My problem is that 2008 rates will be released for the Caribbean on my next cruise. We leave 4/8/07 and rates will be released on the 9th. Also more rates after we get back which might include Galveston Im afraid. It would sure be easier if we had the Galveston rates while we were onboard to book.

If it's the new "open booking" where you are not booking a specific cruise, it's $100.

when will open booking be available? we're going on our next cruise in less than 2 months.

My problem is that 2008 rates will be released for the Caribbean on my next cruise. We leave 4/8/07 and rates will be released on the 9th. Also more rates after we get back which might include Galveston Im afraid. It would sure be easier if we had the Galveston rates while we were onboard to book.

You can research this stuff online onboard. The RCCL website is accessible for free onboard through any Internet terminal.;)

My best friend booked the cruise she will take this summer on the cruise she took last summer. She got a really great deal. By the time they got home from the cruise the price had jumped sky high.

We plan on booking a cruise to Bermuda through the ship when we go on the Enchantment this summer!

Last month we booked under the new "Next Cruise" program. It takes less then 5 minutes to take care of the details then you pick out your cruise at your leisure once your home. Even if it takes you two years to pick one just call Royal when your ready, give them your booking number and they will apply the on-board credit to the cruise you picked. You MUST keep the same booking ID. You then have to pay the additional deposit, so an additional $400 for a 7 day cruise since you paid $100 already. It's a nobrainer if you don't mind them holding on to your $100 until you decide. It's much better then the former $500 deposit required for a 7 day cruise for two people. Note that your not locking into any rate UNTIL you pick a cruise and pay the additional deposit. Happy Planning!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

If I were to check future cruise prices while onboard my next cruise...do they pressure you to book with them, or can you take it or leave it with no hassle. I know what it feels like when it's time to leave the Spa onboard. All of you who have done this can you give me your feedback??

I have never felt any pressure by the LA, only by others waiting...sometimes it can be crazy if you wait until the last sea day because so many people wait to the last minute. If you are needing extra time, I would encourage you to visit with the LA on one of the first days of the cruise.

I would take a look at prices before the cruise. Very easily done on their website. Usually when I book with the LA, I have done the research and know ship, itinerary, and type of cabin....or more recently I just put a deposit down for an open booking (you can decide later).

Even if you put down a deposit on a cruise, you should feel no pressure....because you can change it or it would be fully refundable up until final payment.

We actually had the oposite experience on our last RCI cruise. We were just about to give a deposit for a cruise 15 months away and she told us that she didn't think it was worth it for us to have our money tied up for two cabins for the discount that was offered.

This is really no pressure. You get on board credit for the future cruise should you book on board. Be advised that the cruise price will be no better than you can get when you get off the ship. Royal Caribbean will offer no discount that you cannot get otherwise by say booking on-line with them when you get home. If you book on board you can assign it to a travel agent and they can, depending on the booking, offer you additional on board credit and you keep the on board credit from Royal Caribbean.

when will open booking be available? we're going on our next cruise in less than 2 months.

We just returned from the Serenade and the new open booking is now available. It is a $100/person non-refundable deposit and is good for 3-years. Once you decide on a specific date you cal RCI or your TA and give them the booking number. At that time you willl be required to pay the balance of the deposit for that particular cruise (deposits requirements as stated above by another poster). We have 2 open bookings at this time. BTW your OBC will match the the length of the cruise as well (5 days or less = $50 OBC; 7 or 8 days = $100 OBC; 9 days or longer = $200 OBC). The whole process takes about 5 minutes.

Why is it different to book onboard than through the computer then? When I was on a 4 day Majesty, I only had to pay $40 ? Just curious if you know the answer?

We just returned from the Serenade and the new open booking is now available. It is a $100/person non-refundable deposit and is good for 3-years. Once you decide on a specific date you cal RCI or your TA and give them the booking number. At that time you willl be required to pay the balance of the deposit for that particular cruise (deposits requirements as stated above by another poster). We have 2 open bookings at this time. BTW your OBC will match the the length of the cruise as well (5 days or less = $50 OBC; 7 or 8 days = $100 OBC; 9 days or longer = $200 OBC). The whole process takes about 5 minutes.

Question for you, is that OBC per person or for your whole party. Is the only discount you get by booking on board the OBC or do you get anything else? I'm not worried about pressure or rude people behind me as I tend to slow down when someone is pushing from behind. ;)

I am planning on booking my following cruise while on board my next, but looking at all the best strategies you see.....:cool:

We actually had the oposite experience on our last RCI cruise. We were just about to give a deposit for a cruise 15 months away and she told us that she didn't think it was worth it for us to have our money tied up for two cabins for the discount that was offered.

I'm not sure why she told you that. :rolleyes: It is an onboard credit not a discount, and as long as you keep your original booking number, you can change your reservation to another RCI cruise if you find one you like better. You are also eligible for any future price drops that might apply to your sailing. It is not as though even several hundred dollars in deposit is likely to earn that much interest in the fifteen month interim. If you knew what you wanted to book and could afford to expend the deposit, I think you should have gone ahead and done so. Waiting only leaves you subject to price increases and lesser availability as far as stateroom selections. Deposits, except for the open booking ones, are fully refundable so your risk is really minimal.:)

Question for you, is that OBC per person or for your whole party. Is the only discount you get by booking on board the OBC or do you get anything else? I'm not worried about pressure or rude people behind me as I tend to slow down when someone is pushing from behind. ;)

I am planning on booking my following cruise while on board my next, but looking at all the best strategies you see.....:cool:

OBC is per stateroom & it is the only thing you get for booking on board, but hey we think well worth it.

I booked a Next Cruise (the new program) last month on Splendour & was glad I did as an opportunity came up to go again this month. granted the OBC was only $50, but hey I'll take it.

I have never felt pressured by any LA, EVEN with asking questions when there were folks waiting. Not all LAs do appointments I have found. I now go by the first time they are open and ask & sign up for an appt if they have them. I agree with others, don't wait until the last minute to go.

Im certainly no expert on the matter, but Id think the time of year might have some bearing on how busy the booking desk is. I will be on a cruise in about a week .... when the Caribbean bookings are released and Im betting the booking desk will be extra busy that week.

Archived