Question about QM2 Laundry room!!!

lottie7

This may seem like a very strange question to ask. But I think I will need to do a few bits of laundry whilst I'm on board the QM2 as my little girl goes through so many clothes in a day!! Does anyone know if I need to bring my own detergent/washing powder or is it provided in the laundry room?

is it provided in the laundry room?
- Yes

Lottie7 - welcome to the boards - I see you are quite new here so Matthews

comment:

However a stab proof vest may well be. Matthew

May require a little elaboration. The Laundry rooms have a bit of a reputation of being the one area where the generally civilised behaviour onboard wears thin - people checking driers without restarting them, dumping others' laundry on the floor and so on......Elbows are sharper here too......

Peter

There is one on Deck 6. We book cabins on that deck so we can have fist (first) dibs on the laundry room when it opens at 7 am. (?) It is located near the Play Zone and Kiddie Pool. Stern.

Deck 4 it is near the Illuminations.

Deck 5 near the Stern

Deck 8 near the Stern

Deck 10 and 11 near the Bow

No coins nor laundry soap neede. But I suggest something to put laundry in until dryers are free. Your steward may have a basket or trug for you. Also 2 irons are there for you to use in each laundry room.

PS The 6 deck has a ghost....look for her while you are doing your laundry.

Yes, bring along a few dryer sheets. And please do not put your laundry in and then disappear for breakfast or lunch, thinking you can come back whenever your mood chooses. The rooms can be quite busy.

Some folks have posted that the laundry room can get a bit frantic. That's true, but not every day or on every trip. The "cruises" seemed to be more busy (and pushy) than the crossings (tho on a short "cruise" in January, it was empty the one time I went in). And even then my wife only complained about it once, and she used it a few times.

The laundry soap and the machines are free, but I understand you are NOT to open the soup packages. Fabric softener is a good idea, too.

ALSO, the dry cleaning/laundry service is not very expensive. You might consider that, too.

Enjoy

I loved the dry cleaning service...fast and inexpensive. I had a lot of linen along for our Caribbean and sent it all out the first day so I had it pressed and ready when i wanted it. Also sent out the tux the first afternoon for a qucik steaming and it was back in the late morning the 2nd day. Definitely a service worth taking advantage of.

Cheers, Penny

Was on a Med cruise last June, used laundry room on Deck 5. Went to the laundry once or twice. Met some nice people from Australia. There were 6 or 8 Washer dryer combo machines and 2 ironing boards. It was not crowded all machines in use but only me and two ladies from Australia in the room. However there was a lot of harried people running in and out checking machines or moaning about lack of availability. By the way I would advise bringing a drink with you.

Joel

By the way I would advise bringing a drink with you.

Joel

Based on some of the previous observations your drink should be alcoholic and in a bottle (the better to bash with).

Based on some of the previous observations your drink should be alcoholic and in a bottle (the better to bash with).

Our next booked trip is for three weeks, on the QE2 not the QM2. In the past we've normally managed to take everything with us and only use the laundry service for dress shirts however I'm not sure that I can manage three weeks worth of decent clothes so using the laundry for essentials could be necessary. I'd thought that getting there for 7-00am, when it opened, might be the best way of guaranteeing a machine. If I'm to start consuming my drinks by then I'd better pick a sea day when I can just go back to bed afterwards!:)

- Yes

Lottie7 - welcome to the boards - I see you are quite new here so Matthews

comment:

May require a little elaboration. The Laundry rooms have a bit of a reputation of being the one area where the generally civilised behaviour onboard wears thin - people checking driers without restarting them, dumping others' laundry on the floor and so on......Elbows are sharper here too......

Peter

Yes I am new here and I am so pleased I asked the question about the laundry room!! I have now decided that I will pack twice as many clothes than I was originally going to pack, just so I can avoid the laundry room!! It sounds far too dangerous!!

I have now decided that I will pack twice as many clothes than I was originally going to pack, just so I can avoid the laundry room!! It sounds far too dangerous!!

A very wise decision:D (Not that I need an excuse to pack more clothes:p )

I was reading with such amusement these posts. Last year I remember someone bring a chair into the laundry room so they could stand post over their tidy whities. At first I thought all the nerve....but after 10 minutes of standing there I think she had the right idea.

Very soon it will look like caravaners outside the laundry room on the Mary.

Yes I am new here and I am so pleased I asked the question about the laundry room!! I have now decided that I will pack twice as many clothes than I was originally going to pack, just so I can avoid the laundry room!! It sounds far too dangerous!!

Or take the view that I do - which is basically "hey I'm on holiday" and parcel everything up for the laundry. Sometimes they have cheap days where you can get a bag done on the cheap - although they don't iron it.

Ironing on QE2 is a work of art. Worth having something ironed just to see!

Matthew

Was on a Med cruise last June, used laundry room on Deck 5. Went to the laundry once or twice. Met some nice people from Australia. There were 6 or 8 Washer dryer combo machines and 2 ironing boards. It was not crowded all machines in use but only me and two ladies from Australia in the room. However there was a lot of harried people running in and out checking machines or moaning about lack of availability. By the way I would advise bringing a drink with you.

Joel

If they were the two ladies I remember from that trip, a mother and a daughter, they were "a hoot". We enjoyed every moment we had with them.

Archived