Delayed flight equals missed cruise

boatfloat

I believe the reason they couldn't fly to mexico without a passport is that the airline would not have let them. If they had been a resident of Mexico and were flying on way, no problem. Resident of U.S. without passport would be denied boarding. If they were not allowed in the country they would not have had the passport to fly back to the U.S.

If Princess wasn't obligated to make any alternative arrangements, what is the point of cruise line air??
There are many reasons for booking cruise air. If you are flying at a premium time, such as over the holidays or spring break, you will have a very hard time finding and booking a flight at any price, particularly if you didn't book far ahead. Booking through Princess air is oftentimes less-expensive and will get you a seat at times when it's difficult. Another reason is if you are taking a cruise with "open jaw" flights, i.e., embarking in Port A and disembarking in Port B. Again, Princess air is frequently more reasonable then doing it on your own.

Even some international flights are quite a bit less on Princess than doing it on your own. Last summer, we took a 14-day cruise out of Southampton in July and the R/T airfare to/from London was close to $1k on your own. Believe me, I looked and looked for weeks and months. Princess air was about $850. I did book my own because we wanted direct flights to/from Boston rather than Boston>JFK>Heathrow and back again, and, we wanted to fly to London during the day rather than overnight. That was our choice but if I was looking to save money, I would have booked through Princess air.

Princess acts as the TA when booking your air. Once it's booked, the responsibility lays with the airline to get you to your destination. And often, particularly in the winter, your airport might not have weather problems but flights can still be delayed and planes unable to get to it due to weather elsewhere. Airlines constantly change flights, flight #s, etc. It's enough to drive you to distraction. Returning from my Golden cruise in February, I was booked on Princess air (we had open jaw to Buenos Aires and returning from Santiago), arriving in MIA to go through U.S. Immigration. I booked a flight on my own to CA from MIA since I wasn't returning directly to Boston. In Santiago, I was able to check in my luggage to go directly to SNA (Orange County, CA.) When we got to MIA, everything was fine. Went through Customs, dropped my luggage back for my flight, went through Immigration. Everything still fine. Found the gate for my flight and found that even though I had a seat and boarding pass for the flight, they'd changed the flight # and I lost my seat. Plus, the flight was supposed to stop in Dallas and continue on to SNA. I finally got a new seat assignment and learned that the flight was leaving 90 minutes later than the original flight. I had now had 30 minutes to catch the new flight to SNA. Of course, we took off late, arriving in Dallas at the time my flight was supposed to leave for SNA. Mind you, I had the new boarding pass and flight information from only 4 hours before. I took a chance and raced to where the flight was supposed to be leaving. No flight. I then went to the AA Admiral's Club and checked there. The flight I was now supposed to be taking was rescheduled to leave 90 minutes late. OMG!!! I was ready to tear my hair out! I was perfectly healthy when I'd left Santiago the day before but in the airport, waiting for the flight to the U.S., I started sneezing and sniffling. By the time I got to Dallas, I wanted to crawl into a hole for a week. I slogged on, finally landing in SNA, got my rental car, went to my hotel and crawled into bed. Only to be awakened at 4:30AM by my daughter, who was flying in from Manchester (NH) to join me, had HER flight cancelled due to mechanical reasons and she was going to have to drive to Boston to fly out of there. Several phone calls later, by 7:30AM, she was in Boston and all set, finally arriving later that night. It was unbelieveable. If I had been booked on Princess all the way to SNA, they wouldn't have had any more control over AA than I did.

Here is my take. Princess knowingly booked you with a tight connection. They should have assisted with alternate travel arrangements and delayed the ship. Since they did not, at a minimum they should offer you another comparable trip with airfare. Those who say Princess is not responsible for AAL are wrong. Did you notice when people were poisoned by the food at Taco Bell that Taco Bell and the supplier were liable, not merely the supplier? Here, Princess chose AAL.

As to airlines, whether it is a mechanical, weather, or other delay is always difficult to actually tell. Have you ever noticed an aircraft sitting at a gate, with its door closed? Thats an example of manipulating data, so they can report an on-time departure. I worked for a federal agency, and from my experience, I always said that the only FAA statistic that could be relied upon was the number of aircraft fatalities. Why? Because those statistics are easily monitored by outside groups. I personally observed an FAA inspection where a runway incursion occurred in front of an inspector, and it was ignored by all parties, despite a directive that it had to be reported within a certain number of hours.

I would contact a local law firm in Los Angeles (I believe that's where venue lies) to seek if they can affordably assist you. I'm sure there are some that specialize in this area affordably.

Now my tongue in cheek reply. Had Princess done the right thing and waited for you, we know it wouldn't have affected their itinerary by a late departure, because they made up time on the actual cruise, after taking many hours to recover the swimmers. Also, had they waited for you, the swimmers would have partied in port, and fallen overboard in port, hopefully falling on the water side of the ship. Princess would have easily recovered the swimmers in port and saved many lost hours of searching for the swimmers. Princess could have kept bars open, and not sent everybody to their rooms. Princess wouldn't have exhausted the workers by having them up in the middle of the night. It looks to me like by Princess doing the wrong thing with you, a direct consequence of that action was the swimmers falling overboard in the middle of the gulf and not in port! You should get a class action together for all passengers who were inconvenienced by the swimmers, since that wouldn't have happened had the ship waited for you! Of course, had the ship stayed in port, and the swimmers fell over on the land side of the ship, they probably would have sued Princess because "but for Princess' actions in delaying departure, the swimmers would have fallen overboard in the open sea, and not 60 feet onto the dock."

By the way, I'm an attorney, and any legal advice I may have given cannot be relied upon!

W never take Princess air, but mind you we have only cruised out of FLL hence no open jaw European trips. The reason we don't is two fold...posts like this and the fact the Princess air, when we have had it quoted, always seems to be double the going rate. The difference usually funds our two day pre cruise stay. Yes, we always arrive early.

I travel just about every other week. If a travel agent suggested a 20 minute connection to make a business meeting I would quickly change travel agents. In my opinion Princess was not only sloppy, they were negligent, and also had the nerve to threaten cancellation charges. This type of response is what typically causes people to vote with their feet and change vendors. It certainly would make me think about it...for a New York minute.

Those who say Princess is not responsible for AAL are wrong. Did you notice when people were poisoned by the food at Taco Bell that Taco Bell and the supplier were liable, not merely the supplier? Here, Princess chose AAL.

Unfortunately there's over 50 years of case law disagreeing with you.

A travel agency (and that's the hat Princess is wearing when booking air for clients) is not responsible for delays or cancellations of flights as long as the flights booked meet the "legal" requirements. Heck, even if the flight crashes there's no liability. If an agancy books a client on an FAA-approved airline flying an FAA-approved schedule with FAA-approved connections then if there's a screw-up they're immune from liability. If it didn't work this way there's not a travel agency in the country selling air tickets that woulsn't have been sued into bankruptcy long ago.

If Joe's Travel down the block had booked these flights you couldn't sue them. The FAA says the flight booking was perfectly legal and proper and that lets them off the hook.

The same applies to cruise lines who book air. They are no longer operating as a travel supplier as they are when booking the cruise portion. They are instead now acting as an agent for the client in booking air with a third party and thus get all of the protection that any other travel agency would get.

This type of circumstance happens all of the time and the managers at the Princess' air department know exactly what their legal obligations are and aren't -- they do this for a,living and know the law inside and out.

You'd like to think they'd go above and beyond what the courts have said they must do but if they do it's from a customer satisfaction standpoint, not from a legal requirement.

I believe the reason they couldn't fly to mexico without a passport is that the airline would not have let them. If they had been a resident of Mexico and were flying on way, no problem. Resident of U.S. without passport would be denied boarding. If they were not allowed in the country they would not have had the passport to fly back to the U.S.
Only if it was a return ticked. With an onward cruise documentation it no longer becomes the airline's responsibility a verify return docs. Their legal responsibility it to veryify correct docs for the destination country only in this case, otherwise they will have to deadhead the passenger back to the US.

You'd like to think they'd go above and beyond what the courts have said they must do but if they do it's from a customer satisfaction standpoint, not from a legal requirement.
From the OP's original post, they did try to fly them to the next port but they didn't have passports. If you miss the ship, that's what they will do. If you don't have a passport, then it becomes your responsibility.

Several years ago, I missed a cruise out of San Juan due to weather in Boston and the airport shutting down for the entire day. I had Princess air, was flown to the next port where I caught up with the ship and had a wonderful cruise.

See my post above please before "breaking" anything to me ok? And if you feel comfortable trying this I'd love to know how it works for you when you get back ok? This is exactly what I was trying to not get into when I posted it but I wanted to make sure that people know about the new regulations. It's no longer like the good old days where you grab your birth certificate and fly to Mexico and clear through without much of a check. Even WITH passports customs lines are longer than ever before. But hey, you want to try it, just let us know how that works when you get back. Thanks!
Why so hostile? :confused: You're obviously very knowledgable about travel, but this stuff can be confusing for everyone. Remember that the January 23rd regulations applies only to entry into the United States - it's not some global and universal thing. I can tell you that many countries are strongly opposed to it, especial those that depend on the influx of tourists from the US. Canada has been trying to get the US to scrap it vis-a-vis entry here, but it looks like the compromise will be issuing Nexus cards instead of passposts for cross border travellers.

At this time, Americans do not need a passport to fly into Mexico or Canada. The US hasn't managed yet to pass laws that take effect within other countries. It's this nasty little thing called sovreignity. ;)

I also don't think attempting to enter Mexico without a passport is quite the James Bond thrill-a-minute risk you make it sound like. :D

I also don't think attempting to enter Mexico without a passport is quite the James Bond thrill-a-minute risk you make it sound like. :D

Do they still have the 'search your bags' stop light? Press and get green and you're good to go. Press and get red and you're off to secondary...

Nonstop airfare between Chicago and Houston is around $190 on American, Continental and United. There are only 3 flights between Wichita and Houston. I really can't figure out how they came up with ORD-ICT-IAH, it just doesn't make any sense.

I will always fly out a day early, but not everyone can do that.

Good luck to you.

Do they still have the 'search your bags' stop light? Press and get green and you're good to go. Press and get red and you're off to secondary...
Yes, the last time I was there they did, but that was a couple of years back. I seem to recall they had it in Buenos Aires too the last time I was there.

Why so hostile? :confused: You're obviously very knowledgable about travel, but this stuff can be confusing for everyone. Remember that the January 23rd regulations applies only to entry into the United States - it's not some global and universal thing. I can tell you that many countries are strongly opposed to it, especial those that depend on the influx of tourists from the US. Canada has been trying to get the US to scrap it vis-a-vis entry here, but it looks like the compromise will be issuing Nexus cards instead of passposts for cross border travellers.

At this time, Americans do not need a passport to fly into Mexico or Canada. The US hasn't managed yet to pass laws that take effect within other countries. It's this nasty little thing called sovreignity. ;)

Buddy, frequently I agree with you but I'm taking a wild guess here by saying that if there was any possibility that these passengers would not be able to board the ship by flying to the next port and perhaps have to fly back, they wouldn't have been allowed to leave (or perhaps Princess wouldn't book the flights) without a passport. The vast majority of Americans flying to another country have a destination and return. Very, very few have one-way flights without a passport and I don't know how or whether that is affected by the regulations.

Buddy, frequently I agree with you but I'm taking a wild guess here by saying that if there was any possibility that these passengers would not be able to board the ship by flying to the next port and perhaps have to fly back, they wouldn't have been allowed to leave (or perhaps Princess wouldn't book the flights) without a passport. The vast majority of Americans flying to another country have a destination and return. Very, very few have one-way flights and I don't know how or whether that affected anything.
A very good point Pam. It there was any chance that they'd have to be returned or moved on to another country, the airline probably wouldn't risk it.

I guess the take away is that it's a good idea for everyone to update or get their passport. I wish our Canadian ones lasted 10 years. :( I have to get a new one every five years, and we have no renewal option. (well, you CAN renew a temporary passport, but they're only good for two years.)

And Vegas Green, yes plain and simple, if anyone thinks that booking your flights with any cruise line guarantees you that they will hold the ship or fly you to the first port of call without insurance, yes, they should definately reconsider.

Any cruise line??

Here's HAL's Fly Cruise policy on airline delays:

If you purchase air transportation independently from Holland America Line, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the vessel in progress.

And here's Windstar's Home City Air policy on airline delays:

If you have purchased air transportation independently from Windstar, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the vessel in progress.

Only if it was a return ticked. With an onward cruise documentation it no longer becomes the airline's responsibility a verify return docs. Their legal responsibility it to veryify correct docs for the destination country only in this case, otherwise they will have to deadhead the passenger back to the US.

An airline employee here, told me they would not let a non Mexican Citizen fly to Mexico without a passport. If the person was not accepted in Mexico, they could be fined and would have to bring the person back.

Absolutely unacceptable.

Princess should be responsible. It is their fault. I do not feel as though insurance should pick up the tab for Princess's short comings. Why should the insurance company pay for it? This is why insurance is so high. Princess booked you on a connection that was next to impossible to make. Regardless of whether you have insurance I think Princess should pay the price of THEIR mistake.:mad:

As far as your future bookings, it would be wise to add insurance.

I absolutely agree!!! If you booked your vacation including flight through Princess, it is there fault. They scheduled the flight not you. THAT IS THEIR JOB!!!!!! If the flights were too close, they shouldn't have booked it.

Would you have booked the flights??????? Probably not. But when you are not given any say in the manner, what is a person to do???? You book the cruise and flight with them with the belief that they will book the flight properly.

What would stop Princess then from intentionally booking flights that were "too close"????

If you book your flight on your own it is your responsibility.

I say SHAME ON PRINCESS!!!!!!

NOTE TO SELF:

1. Always take my Passport.

2. Always buy Insurance (and take the Policy with me).

3. Always customize my cruise air & fly direct (if possible). I have to research flights myself.

4. Customize the air immediately after booking the cruise.

5. Fly in the day before the cruise & stay a day after the cruise.

Just days before my second cruise (the first one requiring a flight), I opened up the packet from the TA and was talking to bf (now hubby) on the phone with the info. When I said the flight time, I did a double take. We were given a red-eye through Carnival air, getting us into Miami early the morning of the cruise. So I immediately called the TA and said to change it to getting in the night before as we had told them, with the hotel room. Apparently, the cruiseline does this so they can give you a cheaper flight and just a day room. Since then we have only been on two cruises not out of our local port -- the first one I arranged the flight myself, even though avoiding a redeye meant a more costier flight for us, and the second one we used Amtrak, but still arranged to get into Seattle with a day's padding. The only time we don't get to the port a day ahead of time is when we driving the 50 miles to San Pedro. We're just not going to stress ourselves just in case there's mechanical, weather (which can affect you even if the bad weather is elsewhere), or labor problems.

Also, I got a passport as soon as I realized dating this guy would mean more cruises. Having that document makes things a lot more easier. And when our girl was only 3, we got her a passport too. I like this as obviously she doesn't have a drivers license yet.

I wasn't trying to repond just to you, the new regulations are confusing. You can get on a cruise and GO to Mexico without a passport but you can't fly to Mexico without a passport. Confusing.

This is how it is stated by American Airlines.

Effective January 23, 2007, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air. This also applies when coming from Canada, Mexico, Central and SouthAmerica, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The new passport requirement means that all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who are departing the U.S. and intend to re-enter the United States are required to hold a valid passport upon departure from the United States.

Note that this states that you have to have a valid passport upon departure. There is no guarantee in this case that the OP would meet the ship (weather, etc.) and in that case, would have to return by air. Which would be difficult without a passport. The following statement, then, is incorrect IF you are leaving from the United States.

Yes, you can fly to Mexico without a passport - you just can't fly BACK INTO the USA without one.
This is going to get as screwy as the PSA before too long.

At this time, Americans do not need a passport to fly into Mexico or Canada. The US hasn't managed yet to pass laws that take effect within other countries.
Please read my previous post...only because this is confusing, and several people are mis-stating the passport requirements. The US isn't saying that people need a passport to enter other countries; they require that people leaving the US by air have a valid passport prior to departure, so that they will comply upon their eventual return.

My guess is that carriers will face stiff penalties for non-compliance.

My sister and her family took a Carnival cruise a couple weeks ago during Spring Break. They purchased their air through Carnival. Since Carnival was unable to find 4 seats on the day of the cruise, they flew them in a day early. Carnival also put them up in a nice hotel for free. Have any of you had this experience with Princess? (We always do our own air) If Princess was unable to find any other flights for the OP, this would have been an option.

Archived