Topless Decks

Cinci,

Please don't take some of us too seriously. Your question is a reasonable one.

In many cases we're posting with tongue planted firmly in cheek. :D Some of us just like to have a little fun.

As in my next post. :D

Yes, and as in your next post is precisely how I interpreted Pete's response. Thanks for your intervention ... I consider my question answered ;) . Cinci

So, how about an answer to Ron's question? When Tinkerbell asked the question, I must admit, I was curious. I know the issue has been debated ad nauseam on these boards, which I'm guessing she didn't know. But so far, what's been posted has only been folk's opinions. But, it is a posted HAL rule? Anyone know for sure?

A regular, but infrequent, poster on this board did recently e-mail HAL and ask this very question. She posted the reply she received in another recent thread on the same topic.

The answer was that HAL does not have a topless deck. I believe, but won't swear, the reply went on to say that if a passenger were found going topless they would be asked to cover up.

But, again, the question of enforcement is open.

Lastly, thanks to Nan and Krazy for their honest answers.
If you REALLY want an honest answer, contact HAL (through their website) and ask the question. I did. The reply from HAL was no - topless (and/or bottomless) sunbathing on public decks is NOT allowed.

If HAL answered in the affirmative, heads would explode. :rolleyes:

One shouldn't have any problem if done discreetly and without children around. :)

*edited to add: The only place this is of any concern is the Cruise Critic forums. It's always been a non-issue once you're on board a ship....

One shouldn't have any problem if done discreetly and without children around. :)

Visions of scrambling to rearrange clothing while making out on the living room sofa & the folks come home early - you remember, back when you were in high school. ;) :eek:

How can one possibly do this "discreetly" & be assured that "no children" will be around? What happens when mom & dad bring the little ones up on that very top deck to take in the view? Or perhaps the Club HAL staff & a group of youngsters are on a scavenger hunt? Or a roving group a teenage boys realizes that the top deck is a real-life Playboy?

I don't have anything against this activity. I just think there's a better place for it. Perhaps a private balcony, or Orient Beach on St. Martin. :)

In Ontario it has been legal to go topless (for women) for years now. On the odd occasion you will see someone however, once the orginal fear and thrill was gone it became a none issue.

I bet they look pretty funny in January in Ontario. Enlightenment at its finest.:D :eek:

jc

You may be surprised to find that we were golfing in Ontario until January 11, 2007, while our friends in western New York had 30 inches of snow.

More to your question I did not see any topless ladies on the course!!!

If one really wants to have no tan lines :D why not do it on the privacy of their own verandah? (if you have a verandah cabin that is) I have done that MANY MANY times and still got sun and had privacy.

If one really wants to have no tan lines :D why not do it on the privacy of their own verandah? (if you have a verandah cabin that is) I have done that MANY MANY times and still got sun and had privacy.

Why do I get the feeling that some old prude woud still complain? Some people would break their necks trying to see whats happening on other peoples balconies and then complain about what they saw.

If some people only knew what kind of things were happening in their cabins when they belonged to other passengers they would have a stroke.

Live and let live.

I usually sail during school breaks. I have seen relatively discrete topless sunbathing on almost every cruise ( including Alaska but it was in the 90's at that time) and most definitiely on all European cruises.

I am not talking about 20 somethings, either.

Although I would not do it , it barely registers when I see someone else sans a top. My point is, this is nothing new to HAL or any cruise line orindicitive of a new type of cruiser.

I have also seen people picking their noses all over the ship and then examine the day's catch ( not that I am comparing this to topless sunbathing). If I see something I prefer not to, I look the other way. I have no control over what the next guy does and make a point to not take offence.

You may be surprised to find that we were golfing in Ontario until January 11, 2007, while our friends in western New York had 30 inches of snow.

More to your question I did not see any topless ladies on the course!!!

On the golf course?

No ... you only saw a bunch of guys hitting their balls. :eek: :D ;)

Buh-dum-bum.

Rev Neal .. the Episcopal Bishops of Texas would have your collar !!! :eek: :D

LOLOL

No ... but the United Methodist Bishop of Dallas might. However, he already knows me well enough to know that I am occasionally naughty. :eek: :D :cool:

No ... but the United Methodist Bishop of Dallas might. However, he already knows me well enough to know that I am occasionally naughty. :eek: :D :cool:

Hahaha Greg ... United Methodist is good enough for me ... <scratching head> wasn't there talk of a merger at one time ? ... or maybe it was the Lutherans (well certainly not the Pacific Synod!). You going on the 11 day Noordam on 1/5/08 ? ;)

Hahaha Greg ... United Methodist is good enough for me ... <scratching head> wasn't there talk of a merger at one time ? ... or maybe it was the Lutherans (well certainly not the Pacific Synod!). You going on the 11 day Noordam on 1/5/08 ? ;)

oops ... I see you are doing a biggie later in the month ..lucky you !! :D

After a cruise on a ship with lots of old men with way too tiny bathing suits my vote goes with Elaine of Seinfeld...

"The female body is a work of art. The male body is utilitarian. It's for gettin' around. It's like a Jeep." shocked-smiley-9456.gif

:)

We enter into full communion with the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church) in 2008. In 2012 we're supposed to enter into full communion with the Anglican Communion. Full communion is not merger, but it is Eucharistic sharing, the recognition of clergy orders, and a facilitation cross-denominational appointments and transfers of clergy from one church to the other. Some would say that it is the first step toward merger, but we're not even talking about that yet.

As for the Noordam that first week of January ... I'd LOVE to, but I'm due to fly to South America and board the Rotterdam at the end of January. So ... sorry. :)

Archived