1739.00 princess antarctic shore excursion....

bethaniesmom

Better still, Princess & the larger cruise ships have a lot of scenic cruising intheir Antartica cruises, and then in their cruises around the Horn, from Punta Arenas they offer the $1739 tour for 2-3 hours in Antartica with a 3 hour flight each way -

Skip this, the best is to take a smaller ship from Ushuaia, where you can actually land at a few islands in and around Antartica, instead of the "scenic Cruising", and the cost is about the same.

I'm going to do it...I saw a thread where someone did it in golden..It's called live from the golden.....now it's locked and they opened up a new one, so find that one first and then take the first posting day of the new thread to go back and approx where the original left off. Hope that made sense

I booked this in Aug and am waiting till that excursion opens...My friend and I wanted to go badly but it comes down to cost, comfort and amenities for us. The people that do it all seemed to love it regardless of if they just did scenic or landed. We were able to get a mini for only $3100 and with that excusrsion it's still under $5000 approx the same as the cheapest other trips that actually land

Pros :p

It's 16 days, I still will be able to "land" on Antarctica, my friend dosen't have to pay for that part (satisfied w/scenic only), fairly lux and seperate accomodations, cost anaylsis way less for comparative trip, bigger boat (challenging seas), massages, shows, and my personal fave karaoke ;)

Cons :mad:

Don't have the numerous actual landings to experience different aspects of trip, a little long, excursion-since only one landing could be difficult to get on and may not make trip due to weather, views will be more from a distance on ship, less likely to have people in our age range to mingle with

If you're going w/someone else and you have to factor in all of those things the cost can balloon massively very quickly..we're paying separate but it'll add up to about $11,000 for both..some of the others could be up to $20,000 for in essence 3 more landings or 3...if you are a whole and complete experience person you may want to do that...but for us it'll still be a trip of a lifetime and we'll both get all we want/need out of it.

We go on Jan 10.....maybe we'll see ya :D

• 1 month later...
I noticed this excursion is now gone....does this happen from time to time or does that mean they are done offering it?

This excursion is one of the most cancelled in all of "cruisedom". The cruise lines may have just stopped offering it, as it is canceled so frequently.

Probably too much complaining and requests for compensation, IN ADDITION to refund for excursion.

The excursion gets sold out a few hours after it becomes available. It will appear and disappear earlier until the opening date. There were only 48 spaces for the Golden Princess Jan 07 cruise. We had friends who signed up -- they had a goal of setting "foot" on all 7 continents. On that cruise, they bundled up and the plane took off from Ushuaia but could not land on Antarctica. Full refund was given without any hassle. /Sultan

Archived