Bar Harbor: free shuttle?

gracecarmo

Yes, bus route 3 will take you inside Acadia Park on the park loop road, and you can get off anywhere and be picked up by a later bus.

Just remember that the Island Explorer Bus is just like any public transportation in any community (except free); it is not a tour bus.

If you want to take a tour, sign up with one from the cruise line or book your own. One of the more popular tours is by Oli's Trolley http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/

SBtS

Looking at Ollie's Trolly web site, it sort of looks like an open air bus or is one enclosed? Too cool for late Oct if it's open. I sent an email to see what their Oct. 07 si, no response so far.

Looking at Ollie's Trolly web site, it sort of looks like an open air bus or is one enclosed? Too cool for late Oct if it's open. I sent an email to see what their Oct. 07 si, no response so far.

I recall that Oli's has buses with either windows that come down or clear plastic flaps that can be tied down.

They are a good choice for first timers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From what I've read, the tenders drop you off at the town pier, which is at the base of Main St. Walk up the main street to the park on the right side (not very far up the hill). Turn right through the park. The shuttle buses leave from the opposite side of the park.

• 3 weeks later...

The place you board the bus is called Village Green and it is a short walk from the tender pier. When you get out of the town pier, turn right, and then left onto Main Street. It is a slight uphill walk but with lots of shops on either sides. You will see the bus stops on your right.

There is no charge for the bus ride (and they are very nice and clean buses, not run down buses), but there is a $5 admission charge for an adult. No charge for youths. Before you board the bus, go into the information hut and buy the park pass. The people at the counter can provide you with a recommented route based on how much time you will spend in the park.

Enjoy, it is a very nice park.

I'm taking the RC New England Cruise July 27, and I'm so happy that all of you are sharing this great info! I can't wait to walk around Acadia Nat Park! Is there a strong advantage to taking Oli's Trolley Tour as opposed to the free shuttle?

Maggie in VA

The free shuttle bus is a public transportation, just like any buses in a city, except it is free. In order to see most of the park, you will need to hop on and hop off different buses.

If you join a tour, first it is narrated, and second, you use the same transportation for the entire trip. Most importantly, just about all tours go up to the Cadillac Mountain, whereas the shuttle buses do not.

The free shuttle bus is a public transportation, just like any buses in a city, except it is free. In order to see most of the park, you will need to hop on and hop off different buses.

If you join a tour, first it is narrated, and second, you use the same transportation for the entire trip. Most importantly, just about all tours go up to the Cadillac Mountain, whereas the shuttle buses do not.

According to http://www.exploreacadia.com/maps.html Route 4 has a stop at Cadillac North Ridge. Isn't that Cadillac Mountain?

We took Ollie's Trolley because we were in Bar Harbor after Columbus Day so we had no choice. It was a wonderful 2.5 hour narrated ride with 3 - 15 minute stops. That gave us a little bit of time to walk around. The three stops were not within walking distance of each other. I don't remember being cold.

We love to walk and Bar Harbor is a town with hundreds of quaint bed and breakfasts. We walked for a long time on the back streets enjoying all the houses. We also walked along the shore. If you are facing the cruise ship there is a parking lot on the right and a path that leads between the houses and the shore. This is not a beach. We enjoyed this walk alot. We can always find a park to walk or hike but walking along the shore was a treat. This is a well kept secret. So as it turned out the Trolley tour was a nice break to rest between many hours of walking.

Of course there is the usual Main Street with loads of shopping, but by the time I did all that walking I was too tired.

For the non-walkers, there were several people on our Trolly tour who could not walk to the spot where the Trolly loaded, so the trolly picked them up at a spot by the tender landing. The trolly was only allowed to stop there to drop off and pick up people with special needs.

Archived