Portafino group question

Groups in Portafinos or Chops? Does anyone know how to go about making reservations for a group of 8 adults? I read somewhere that groups could only given times of 6:00 or 9:00. We are actually a group of 16 with 8 adults and 8 kids. Neither one of those times would work for us due to the hours of Adventure Ocean. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We had a group of 10 and didn't have any problems making an 8PM reservation. We made our reservations as soon as we boarded, which was around noon. We tried to change nights early the next morning and were told they could not accommodate our group.

###

We went to the guest realtions desk as soon as we were onboard (before we went to our cabins) to make reservations. We were 7 adults. Just remember that the Adventure Ocean doesn't open until 7pm so you wouldn't want to make your reservation any earlier. We ate at Chops at 7pm and I took the kids to AO while my husband went ahead and ordered for me since the line to check the kids in can be long right when they open. I was there by 7:15. For Portofino's I was there by 7:03 since we were first in line to check in and the kids played in the arcade until I signed them in.

We were on the Empress last year and there were 18 of us and we made reservations at Portafino's. We did it as soon as we boarded (only 1 needed to make the reservation for all of us.) The only thing I should warn you about, is that because we booked as a group, for some reason, there were only certain menu items that we were able to order. Make sure you check with them when you make the reservations that they do not limit your menu choices.

We had 5 people on Mariner and had absolutely no trouble making reservations for the time we wanted at Portofino. However, Chops was a different story. The manager refused to allow us to dine when we wanted to. We had to dine at either 6 or 9. I asked the original person taking reservations for 7PM. He said no he couldn't do it but the manager would certainly accomodate us and that she wouldn't be in until 5PM. I asked if we could have a table for 2 and one for 3 and be nearby each other at 7. He said he couldn't guarantee it, but he was certain the manager would make arrangements for us. He said she would call me at 5PM.

I was in my cabin at 5PM and no phone call from her. At 5:30 I called and she said she was just going to call me. She wouldn't allow us at 7, only 6 or 9. I asked her about the tables for 2 and 3 and she said she didn't have any available on the night that we were going because they were all sold out. I explained that I had asked this about 12:30 or so in the afternoon when we boarded, but she wouldn't budge. We never did go to Chops.

I am hoping that when we go on Mariner in Oct with the same 5 of us, that some other manager will be there or that this one will be more accomodating. It's strange that Portofino can do it, but Chops can't.

Enjoy your meal at Portofino. It is truly a wonderful restaurant.

Katie

Archived