european river cruises

vanessagillian

vanessagillian,

It´s not claustrophobic at all! You won´t spend much time in your cabin but out on deck or in any of the large lounges. And you won´t be cruising more than half a day during daylight. River cruises are very port intensive and travelling is done mainly by night to be at the next port the next morning.

Read the reviews on this website or mine linked in my signature.

steamboats

We have been on two river cruises. A b2b from Constanta Romania to amsterdam with Uniworld 4 years ago and a week on the Nile last March with Grand Circle. We loved both.

The river cruise ships are much smaller than the ones going to the Caribean, Alaska, etc. They generally hold 100-150 passengers.

Most of the sailing is done at night, so you are arriving in port in the morning, but there is enough daytime sailing to enjoy the scenery.

These ships do not have the amenities of the larger ships. Nor do they have the selection of food offered by big ships.

Paul

The balcony cabins have a very open feel. Additionally the cabins which have openable windows are fine. We've had two balconys and have a openable window cabin booked this year. Agree, not claustrophobic at all.

:confused: Can anyone tell me what a river cruise is really like? I am very active and somehow they appear to be claustrophobic looking (at least on the ship)

vanessagillian - We enjoyed the Amadeus Danube Budapest -> Prague Christmas Markets last December on their (then) newest boat, the Amadagio. Besides daily walking tours of nearby attractions, some of us used the running track on the top deck. In warmer weather I am sure many would have used the boat's bicycles to explore the towns where we docked. Some used the small exercise room near the aft lounge. Many nights we danced in the main lounge to piano music. You can see photos and video clips of this trip at

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

We liked this type of travel enough to book another Danube cruise next October (Black Sea Discovery: Budapest -> Istanbul) WIT

:confused: Can anyone tell me what a river cruise is really like? I am very active and somehow they appear to be claustrophobic looking (at least on the ship)

The main trouble is no decent weather.

Give me the North Atlantic and a real ship!

(I'm actually, having said that, looking forward to my Danube cruise next month, but I'd always prefer to be on a real ship doing a real crossing...)

Archived