Children pools on ships

Some of us are perfectly capable of thinking on our own.

That is correct. And some people think on their own only about what they want for their little kid or themselves with absolutely no thought at all given to the other 3500 people that they SHARE the ship with.

Do we all really think that the pools are really that clean and sanitary to begin with?!?! Gosh, every time I'm on a cruise, the main pool water is always cloudy with all the people swimming in it... and all the "stuff" thats floating around. IMHO, I dont really think that the water is that clean without the kids in diapers using it. If there is a rule that no kids in diapers can swim in the pools, than that rule should be obeyed. But I think its pretty crazy to think that these tots are the reason that the water is "unsanitary" and without there in there its perfectly clean!

EXACTLY!!!! Do people think that no one EVER pees in the big pools just because they aren't wearing a swim diaper?..lol..I bet that someone pees in the pool at least once, if not more, times a day.

Listen, I have kids, but I can't see how cruising with very small kids is much of a vacation when they are too young to appreciate it or participate in the fun!

I think sometimes you're just "stuck." My SIL is bring her 4 month old and paying full price. Her son isn't going to remember a thing, and it'll be difficult for her and her husband (luggage, cramped quarters, lack of sleep, etc.), but this may be the only time where her entire family is going (her siblings and their families) since her parents are getting older now and not in great health.

I do know what you're saying though - like people bringing babies to Disneyland/World, but it could just be one day out of a weeklong vacation doing other things.

My kids are only a few years out of diapers so the memory is fresh. Why would you plop your kid into a body of water that a bunch of other kids are urinating into. It goes right through the diaper and the urge to pee will occur the second they hit the water. Is this not like dunking your kid in a toilet or am I missing soemthing? :confused:

First of all, pee is sterile, it's the poop that is dangerous.

EXACTLY!!!! Do people think that no one EVER pees in the big pools just because they aren't wearing a swim diaper?..lol..I bet that someone pees in the pool at least once, if not more, times a day.

They also poop in the pool and are not wearing a swim diaper. I was on the Radiance in Sept 2006 and the Adult Solarium Pool ( no kiddies in sight) was closed down , and had to be cleaned, due to turds floating in that pool! I can't tell you how many times that probably happens, but I saw it with my own eyes....

I was told the swim diaper section has to have a special filtering system that actually contantly recycles the water somehow to keep it at a safe level. I discussed this with a pool deck offical on Sat March 31st on Freedom. Actually, there was a little boy (18months old) in this section along with my daughter (3) (who is potty trained). He had on a swim diaper on and the pool patrol asked the parents to take him out. Well, you quessed it! A big confrontation.....To make a very long story short. The mom took off his swim diaper and said "fine, I'll take it off, he's potty trained")....:eek: :eek: YUK!

So I took my daughter out to the main pool!!.

That is correct. And some people think on their own only about what they want for their little kid or themselves with absolutely no thought at all given to the other 3500 people that they SHARE the ship with.

Granted but it's a pretty wide brush a lot of folks on here like to paint with. We're talking about an area specifically designed for little people in swim diapers to play in. IF IT'S ALLOWED it's not up to you or compass rose or anyone else to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their kids. In other words, those other 3500 people should also respect that these folks have been given a spot for them.

Here is the link to the thread where I read about the seperating the H2O zone to accomodate the kids in diapers...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528776

Its I think the third post down from the beginning... the poster just got off the Freedom and got the inside scoop!

Thanks Melba1024, As I said in post #3 I thought I had seen something about retrofitting but I just couldn't find the correct thread. Thanks again, I thought I was losing my mind.

Gregg

Granted but it's a pretty wide brush a lot of folks on here like to paint with. We're talking about an area specifically designed for little people in swim diapers to play in. IF IT'S ALLOWED it's not up to you or compass rose or anyone else to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their kids. In other words, those other 3500 people should also respect that these folks have been given a spot for them.

And I completely agree with you. If they want to put their cherished kid in in a place designated for them with everyone else's e-coli I could not personally care less. But the story above about the mother who, when confronted, pulled off the swim diaper and proclaimed her kid was potty trained just disgusts me. And a pool deck full of blow up pools is just as rediculous. Yes you are one family with one pool and what is the big deal. But there are hundreds of families aboard and I don't really what to be on a ship where the pool deck looks like a cross breeding between the back yard of a housing project and an obsticle course.

I was told the swim diaper section has to have a special filtering system that actually contantly recycles the water somehow to keep it at a safe level. I discussed this with a pool deck offical on Sat March 31st on Freedom. Actually, there was a little boy (18months old) in this section along with my daughter (3) (who is potty trained). He had on a swim diaper on and the pool patrol asked the parents to take him out. Well, you quessed it! A big confrontation.....To make a very long story short. The mom took off his swim diaper and said "fine, I'll take it off, he's potty trained")....:eek: :eek: YUK!

So I took my daughter out to the main pool!!.

Oh god, I can't believe that really happened. Obviously there are people out there that really go out of their way to disobey rules.

With the special filtering system in the tiny tots swim area, I bet thats going to be a cleaner place to swim than the main pools!!

This has absolutely nothing to do with pee in the pool. We're talking e-coli, which is extremely dangerous.

Oh god, I can't believe that really happened. Obviously there are people out there that really go out of their way to disobey rules.

With the special filtering system in the tiny tots swim area, I bet thats going to be a cleaner place to swim than the main pools!!

Don't count on that. The water still has to get from where it is to the access drain into the filtering system. I feel badly for anyone who has so much a break in the skin of his feet as that contaminated water flows by.

Don't count on that. The water still has to get from where it is to the access drain into the filtering system. I feel badly for anyone who has so much a break in the skin of his feet as that contaminated water flows by.

Very true, Ocean Boy - I actually meant it more as a joke! :D

I would never let my grandchildren swim in a pool full of fecal teabags, no matter what kind of filteration they have

The little blow up pools work great on the balcony and at bath time in the shower on the floor as a tub. The Disney ships have a great little spray from Mickey's left ear that the non-potty trained little ones can enjoy. Maybe the filtration (DCL is continually draining) will be something like that. The US Dept of Health is responsible, due to e-coli out breaks, for the pool regulation.

I'm bettin' it"s way more than once. . .

Ok, before YOU guys all get your depends up in a bunch....realize that THIS infant pool may be just like the Disney infant water spray area where the water drains completly away.

So before you start chastizing the parents who may be swirling their kids in a "toilet baby pool" realize that it probably will be more like Disney's and have very little water.

See Disney's....VERY LITTLE water...no tea bag swirling effect. So please save the drama for when we really know what the new set up will be.

Gab.jpg

And if this is all true. I just wanna thank RCCL for FINALLY making a space for the infants/toddlers.

I would never let my grandchildren swim in a pool full of fecal teabags, no matter what kind of filteration they have

And your grandbabies have never been in a swimming pool anywhere?

Realize that RCCL isn't going to be putting children in harms way. They are finally making a move to help families who choose to travel with younger children.

Ok, before YOU guys all get your depends up in a bunch....realize that THIS infant pool may be just like the Disney infant water spray area where the water drains completly away.

So before you start chastizing the parents who may be swirling their kids in a "toilet baby pool" realize that it probably will be more like Disney's and have very little water.

See Disney's....VERY LITTLE water...no tea bag swirling effect. So please save the drama for when we really know what the new set up will be.

Gab.jpg

And if this is all true. I just wanna thank RCCL for FINALLY making a space for the infants/toddlers.

What a cutie!!!!!:)

I am sitting here trying to figure out why I would even put my child in a pool while my child is wearing a diaper, along with 17 other kids who are not potty trained, who are also wearing diapers. I can't see one good reason why I would put my child in a pot of soup, so to speak. Not a good idea. Very, very, very unsanitary.

Actually, you are all missing something: it is *rare* that a child will actually "go" in the pool at all (more rare to poop than to pee). Very young children will, yes, but pretty much any kid who can walk will naturally "hold it" while in water. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (so don't come back flaming me with stories of when it did), but if you think about it, does your kid pee/poop in the tub every time you give him/her a bath? Probably not. AND, when a child does occasionally pee in the water, urine is naturally SANITARY (look it up), so it really wouldn't be all that gross if the occasional child did "go" in the (chlorinated) pool! Heck, I'm sure there are plenty of adults who do it... think about all the older people who cruise- and enter the pool sans Depends.

All that being said, I think it is great that they're fitting pools with toddler-designated areas. While I don't personally have a problem with children in the pool (I have a 15mo), it is in the cruiseline's best interest to keep ALL their patrons happy- and I think a toddler pool is a fabulous idea. I would NEVER take my baby on a cruise where he couldn't get in a pool. :)

urine is naturally SANITARY (look it up), so it really wouldn't be all that gross if the occasional child did "go" in the (chlorinated) pool!

Urine is not sanitary, it is sterile. To use your words...look it up. And as soon as it comes in contact with the skin in the groin area it is no longer sterile either.

Actually, you are all missing something: it is *rare* that a child will actually "go" in the pool at all (more rare to poop than to pee).

Actually, it happens more than YOU realize. Many tales here about cruise ship pools having to be drained after a child has an accident.

Our own YMCA built a beautiful pool near our neighborhood. I tried to go on four separate occasions and each time it was closed due to a fecal accident.

Archived