Just a RUMOR that the Holiday is to be sold

Dixe Lee

If Holiday gets sold and triumph is moving to NOLA as orginial planned I would most likely be on a different ship for my sailing in mid-sept .. no big deal to me as long as I'm on a ship some where. I miss the Tropicale .. for a little old ship it was fun!

My daughter has a cruise scheduled on the Fantasy out of Nol in Sept..what would that do to her cruise...would they cancel it or just move it to Mobile???:confused:

If, in fact, all of this goes down by then, I'm confident that a replacement ship would be brought into NO. In that case, she would have the option to transfer the booking to the new ship.

I'm anxious to see how/if this all plays out. I'm scheduled on the Holiday the middle of September. A change in ship wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd probably be a little excited. I'd get to do all that pre-cruise ship research all over again. Would be a good way to pass time until the trip!

I bet Carnival would put those folks into the Cat 12's on the replacement ship to avoid a problem. The Cat 12's on Fantasy-class vessels are much nicer than those on Holiday-class, so no one would complain.

Future Cruise Critic Complaint "I got changed from the Holiday, to the Fantasy and they moved me from the Verandah to steerage on the main deck"

or if they do it the otherway:

"I had a Cat 12 on the Holiday and they moved me to a Cat 11 on the Fantasy".

Like I said, a no win situation.

We have a friend who has worked at the Mobile Terminal ever since it opened. (She will be the first to tell you she has NO inside information) But...she does say that this "rumor" has been coming up every few months since the Holiday first sailed from Mobile. It was really hot during the FEMA period when many said the Holiday would never return to Mobile. Also the rumor of another cruise line coming to Mobile comes up on a regular basis too. According to her.."I'm used to those rumors, but one day both of them will probably become fact. But none of us know when." She also pointed out that the Holiday has an excellent occupancy rate and she beleives that a larger ship and even an additional ship would be successful in Mobile.

I too heard from a waiter on my last trip on the Holiday that it was to be sold this summer (still a rumor though):confused:

The city of Mobile is pushing for a second ship to sail from here & is setting up larger facilities (true, according to our newspaper here):D

The "turn-around" basin is large enough for a much larger ship (true, according to a harbor pilot friend of mine):D

Look at the bright side. If they send it to P&O Australia like the Jubilee, you could do a south Pacific on it. How cool would that be? :)

Geez, Carnival already announced officially who they are selling the ships to. it's on Carnival.com under news.

Oh my. My favorite. If true, it doesn't come as any surprise, as I've been thinking an announcement would be made in the near future. I suppose they have to get rid of the smallest and oldest at some point...poor little Holiday. Guess I'll just have to go ahead and book another cruise on her!

I wouldn't think a newer ship coming into Mobile would have a different itinerary. FL cruises cover the Bahamas, etc., and the distance from Mobile is about right for another MX cruise to take over the Holiday's schedule.

Yeah, I think I'll give my PVP a call and book that cruise today.:)

I'll be there with you. Must take another cruise on my first love! Boy the air to Moblie for FNT (Michigan is nuts.)

The Holiday was my very first cruise out of New Orleans. :)

I'm cruising on the Fantasy this Saturday and I'm glad that I'll have a chance to sail her before they move another ship to NO. I wish that I had booked a cruise on the Conquest as well before Katrina moved her to Galveston.

The crew told me the same "rumor" back in September 2006 and specifically said to an Australian company in 2007. Despite the fact that she's the oldest in the fleet, the sales are good for Holiday. I attribute part of that to the fact that the terminal is so nice in Mobile and so easy to access, reasonable parking etc.

Being an hour and a half away, we often try to book about a week out (as I did this past week) and Holiday is almost always sold out. I can generally get on Fantasy a week out although when I booked it today for next week, there were only a handful of cabins remaining. Also, if you notice, when they run "specials" on the website, the cruises out of Mobile and NOLA are rarely on there which also tells you they are selling well. What happened to the Triumph's bookings remains a mystery but I have a hunch no matter what ships are in those two ports, they'll continue to sell well.

I just looked and nothing there. Where did you see that at?

Kinda hard to "officially announce" who you're selling a ship to when you haven't even "officially announced" that you sold it. I doubt there's anything there. This entire thread is pure speculation at this point anyway. Interesting though. :)

I can't help but wonder if the rumors of a Destiny class ship or another ship coming to Galveston (or the Houston area) has anything to do with the fact that Houston is building a new cruise ship terminal.

Anyway, I would be a little disappointed if all of these rumors proved to be true. We were planning to sail out of NO for my birthday cruise next Feb. On the other hand, a new ship in Galveston for the 4 and 5 day cruises could be pretty exciting.

A new ship in Houston or Galveston would be good. It might make sense to move the Ecstacy somewhere and put a bigger ship in it's place since Princess and RCL are pulling out.

Oh well, let's wait and see what Carnval says before we get our hopes up! :p

Kinda hard to "officially announce" who you're selling a ship to when you haven't even "officially announced" that you sold it. I doubt there's anything there. This entire thread is pure speculation at this point anyway. Interesting though. :)

My guess would be the transfer of the ship to Iberojet. Carnival just purchased 75% stake in this company and they are in need of more ships. The 75% interest buy just means that Carnival will own it all soon. This is where I see them moving ships like the Holiday and Celebration as it is for the Spanish market to compete with Pullmantur which RCI just purchased recently. At this time Iberojet only has two ships in service.

http://cruceros.iberojet.es/

I would love if they replaced the Holiday. I live 10 hours away and can drive to Mobile or No for last min deals etc but didnt want to go on such a small ship. I know you love her Cotton but its just a bit too small for me. I would however sail on the Elation any day from jsut about anywhere, love that ship!

I miss the Tropicale .. for a little old ship it was fun!

Hey Bryan, good to see another Tropicale fan....I sailed on her twice....7 night Western Caribbean from New Orleans in '95 and an 11 night Southern Caribbean/Panama Canal from San Juan in '96. I know a lot of folks love the newer ships (for good reasons), but I loved the Tropicale....to me, the ship was "classier" than the newer ships....and I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but oh well.

Anyway, hope you and your bunch have a great time on your next cruise!

James

Maybe they're making room for the New Ships to come within the next few yrs.

If I'm not mistaken Carnival "SPLENDOR" should be delivered sometime 2008.

Then 2009 Carnival "DREAM", should set sail.

---------------------------------------carnival_news.gifspacer.gifChildren's Water Parks, Exclusive Adults-Only Areas to be Introduced As Part of Carnival's $250 Million Evolutions of Fun Initiativespacer.gif03/29/2007 spacer.gifMIAMI (March 29, 2007) — Expansive children’s water parks, a new design style and features for the pool areas, and the creation of the Serenity adults only deck area will be part of a dramatic transformation of the open decks of Carnival Cruise Lines’ eight Fantasy-class ships.

The new features are just part of Carnival’s $250 million “Evolutions of Fun” program, the cruise industry’s most ambitious ship refurbishment and product enhancement initiative, which focuses on the line’s eight Fantasy-class vessels. These “extreme makeovers” are part of an overall initiative to upgrade all of the unique guest-pleasing features and design style of the Fantasy-class vessels in addition to providing guests with new and exciting shipboard amenities.

“The Fantasy-class vessels are the most successful series of cruise ships ever introduced, as well as the industry leader in three- to five-day vacations, carrying nearly 1.6 million guests annually,” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO. “‘Evolutions of Fun’ represents a multi-million-dollar investment designed to build upon these vessels’ tremendous appeal with vacationers by incorporating a host of new and exciting facilities and features,” he added.

The expanded outdoor recreation areas will initially be incorporated onto the 2,052-passenger Inspiration and Imagination during upcoming month-long dry docks this fall and added to other “Fantasy-class” ships in 2008 and 2009 during scheduled drydock periods.

The updated pool and deck areas on the Inspiration and Imagination are just one component of extensive ship-wide refurbishments to these vessels that initially began in 2005 and include renovations to virtually every guest area. Among the new features are fully remodeled staterooms and suites including new bathrooms, flat-screen televisions in staterooms and select public areas, atrium lobby bars, updated sound and lighting systems in various lounges and clubs, coffee bars, nine-hole miniature golf courses, new art and photo galleries, New York-style delis in the Lido restaurants, and purpose-built conference facilities.

More Family-Friendly Areas, Updated Spas, Entertainment Venues

With Carnival expected to carry a record 575,000 kids this year, particular emphasis is being placed on family friendly amenities, with new and expanded play areas, part of the line’s top-rated “Camp Carnival” program, and new facilities for the “Club O2” teen program. Custom-designed spaces geared toward 12- to 14-year olds are also planned and more than 50 interconnecting staterooms are being added to several Fantasy-class ships – perfect for large families or family gatherings.

The “Evolutions of Fun” initiative is also responding to the changing needs of health-conscious consumers with a complete overhaul of 12,000-square-foot spa facilities. The spa makeovers include new private treatment rooms, state-of-the art exercise equipment and a host of cosmetic enhancements.

The addition of new sound and lighting systems in the main show lounges takes Carnival’s legendary revues to another level, with several new dazzling productions that make maximum use of video projections, pyrotechnics, lasers and elaborate sets and costumes.

Fantasy-class Fleet Makeovers Well Underway

Many aspects of the “Evolutions of Fun” enhancements have already been completed on the Fantasy, Ecstasy and Fascination and partially executed on the Sensation, Elation and Paradise. By 2009, the entire Fantasy-class fleet will be completed including the fabulous new transformation of open deck areas.

Other upgrades, incorporated fleetwide, include the Carnival Comfort Bed sleep system, with plush mattresses, luxurious duvets and high-quality linens and pillows, a variety of cuisine enhancements, as well as “Wi-Fi” Internet access in virtually all public areas, and cellular phone service.

“Carnival has always recognized the need to be a pacesetter in the overall vacation industry. With our extensive research in consumer vacation preferences, we’re able to anticipate vacation trends and tailor our product to the needs and desires of our guests, who are the driving force behind this initiative,” Dickinson said. “‘Evolutions of Fun’ is just the latest example of our commitment to guest satisfaction and our continued efforts at making the ‘Fun Ship’ vacation experience the best it can be,” he added.

Carnival is the world’s most popular cruise line with a fleet of 22 “Fun Ships” operating voyages ranging from three to 16 days in length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, New England, Bermuda, Europe and the Greek Isles.

The line currently has three new ships on order – the 112,000-ton Carnival Splendor, scheduled to enter service in July 2008; and the 130,000-ton Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic – to be the largest “Fun Ships” ever constructed scheduled for delivery in October 2009 and June 2011, respectively.

For additional information and reservations, contact any travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit carnival.com.

Did anyone else notice that in a recent thread about the mini-golf courses, Celebration was now grouped with the Fantasy class ships? No mention of Holiday at all:) The light begins to brighten:cool:

I read that. The poster was mistaken. It is still a Holiday class ship.

Come and join us on the July 30 sailing; love to meet 'ya!

:) Thx!! I appreciate that. But...I don't like cruising in summer; just too many kiddies.:D Will probably be going next month.

I'm anxious to see how/if this all plays out. I'm scheduled on the Holiday the middle of September. A change in ship wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd probably be a little excited. I'd get to do all that pre-cruise ship research all over again. Would be a good way to pass time until the trip!

Might see you on board--9/15 is when we're planning to book again :D

I just posted a really lonnnnnnnnnnng review on my first cruise on the Holiday and at the end I said said we'd sail her again--but life would be perfect if they'd put a fantasy class ship in Mobile--so needless to say I'm all for the change. But if it happens I'm sooooooooooo glad I got to sail the Holiday.

The 9/15 cruise will be our cruise buds 4th trip on her.

Happy Sails

I can't help but wonder if the rumors of a Destiny class ship or another ship coming to Galveston (or the Houston area) has anything to do with the fact that Houston is building a new cruise ship terminal.

While the Port of Houston is building a brand new cruiseship terminal, I don't believe any line has said they want to sail from it. It has a huge problem.....that being time. It takes something like 3 and 1/2 hours just to get down the ship channel. That means if Cozumel was your last stop on a cruise going back to Houston (not Galveston) the ship would have to leave by 2 or 3 to make it back to the port. Other ports would be even further away, so it's a problem. I guess you could have sea days at the end of the cruise but I still think it poses a big problem. We'll have to wait and see. It's suppose to be ready for operation sometime this year.

Archived