Just a RUMOR that the Holiday is to be sold

Dixe Lee

While the Port of Houston is building a brand new cruiseship terminal, I don't believe any line has said they want to sail from it. It has a huge problem.....that being time. It takes something like 3 and 1/2 hours just to get down the ship channel. That means if Cozumel was your last stop on a cruise going back to Houston (not Galveston) the ship would have to leave by 2 or 3 to make it back to the port. Other ports would be even further away, so it's a problem. I guess you could have sea days at the end of the cruise but I still think it poses a big problem. We'll have to wait and see. It's suppose to be ready for operation sometime this year.

Not true. Only 1 hr extra if that, and that can be made up with speed instead of leaving Coz early. On one cruise out of Galveston, we were 6 hrs. late leaving Galveston and still made it to Coz on time.

Not true. Only 1 hr extra if that, and that can be made up with speed instead of leaving Coz early. On one cruise out of Galveston, we were 6 hrs. late leaving Galveston and still made it to Coz on time.

That's fine if you don't agree. I have first hand knowledge of what I posted.

That's fine if you don't agree. I have first hand knowledge of what I posted.

I didn't mean to upset you! Why don't you support your statement with your "first hand" knowledge rather than just telling me that I am wrong. I don't consider a waiter, cabin steward, travel agent, etc. as "first hand" knowledge.

Let's just look at the facts. It is 26.1 sm beyond the turn for the Galveston channel. That is equal to 22.5 nm. A ship under normal weather conditions averages 15 kts through the Houston Ship Channel (HSC). At 15 kts it would take 90 mins to transit the bay. A ship going to Galveston takes 20 mins to make the turn and reach the dock. So if you take 20 mins off of 90 mins that will give you 70 mins. So yes I am wrong. Instead of an hour it would take an 1 hour 10 mins.

Now lets suppose you leave Cozumel at 6pm for a 7am arrival in Houston. That is 37 hours time. You would only need to increase your speed by 0.5 kts in order to make up the extra distance.

I don't think Carnival is going to be going to Houston. Not because of the extra 1:10, but because they have put a lot of money into Galveston.

If you are going to come on this board and make statements that you claim are of "first hand" knowledge, then back it up with some intelligent conversation rather than just saying "That's fine if you don't agree, I have first hand knowledge."

Also I suppose my personal experience of a six hour delay and still making it on time are not of "first hand" knowledge.

While the Port of Houston is building a brand new cruiseship terminal, I don't believe any line has said they want to sail from it. It has a huge problem.....that being time. It takes something like 3 and 1/2 hours just to get down the ship channel. That means if Cozumel was your last stop on a cruise going back to Houston (not Galveston) the ship would have to leave by 2 or 3 to make it back to the port. Other ports would be even further away, so it's a problem. I guess you could have sea days at the end of the cruise but I still think it poses a big problem. We'll have to wait and see. It's suppose to be ready for operation sometime this year.

Actually, it's been pushed back to early 2008.

I didn't mean to upset you! Why don't you support your statement with your "first hand" knowledge rather than just telling me that I am wrong. I don't consider a waiter, cabin steward, travel agent, etc. as "first hand" knowledge.

Let's just look at the facts. It is 26.1 sm beyond the turn for the Galveston channel. That is equal to 22.5 nm. A ship under normal weather conditions averages 15 kts through the Houston Ship Channel (HSC). At 15 kts it would take 90 mins to transit the bay. A ship going to Galveston takes 20 mins to make the turn and reach the dock. So if you take 20 mins off of 90 mins that will give you 70 mins. So yes I am wrong. Instead of an hour it would take an 1 hour 10 mins.

Now lets suppose you leave Cozumel at 6pm for a 7am arrival in Houston. That is 37 hours time. You would only need to increase your speed by 0.5 kts in order to make up the extra distance.

I don't think Carnival is going to be going to Houston. Not because of the extra 1:10, but because they have put a lot of money into Galveston.

If you are going to come on this board and make statements that you claim are of "first hand" knowledge, then back it up with some intelligent conversation rather than just saying "That's fine if you don't agree, I have first hand knowledge."

Also I suppose my personal experience of a six hour delay and still making it on time are not of "first hand" knowledge.

I'm not upset. You seem to be the one that's upset. Take a chill pill. ;)

Corporate-Popcorn-Holiday-Gift.jpg

Don't worry, Duck. Popcorn won't be necessary. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don't intend to converse with this person any longer.

I'm not upset. You seem to be the one that's upset. Take a chill pill. ;)

Don't worry, Duck. Popcorn won't be necessary. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don't intend to converse with this person any longer.

I am not upset at all. I just had to point out that your 3.5 hours extra and leaving Galveston at 2 or 3 was not accurate information and would have little/no influence on whether a cruise line decides to use Houston.

Why won't you converse with me? I'm a nice guy. I just like truthful information.

BTW, it's not an opinion as I have proven. You still haven't offered anything of any substance to support your statements.

I am not upset at all. I just had to point out that your 3.5 hours extra and leaving Galveston at 2 or 3 was not accurate information and would have little/no influence on whether a cruise line decides to use Houston.

Why won't you converse with me? I'm a nice guy. I just like truthful information.

BTW, it's not an opinion as I have proven. You still haven't offered anything of any substance to support your statements.

I know I said I wouldn't respond to this guy, but his post is too much. I do not lie and that's what he is implying with his last post.

Could have fooled me.

Nice guys don't attack other posters.;)

Never said it was the gospel. Everything on this messge board is an opinion. Geez. The fact that only Norwegian is the only line that sails out of Houston now (and is pulling out this month, I believe) supports my opinion. As to how I received the info to form my opinion is something I will not share, as it involves my occupation at work.

Happy cruising.

This is being posted on another board - please don't kill the messenger :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This rumor did come from a good source. Till Carnival announces it, I will call it a "rumor".

Carnival is planing to announce they are selling the Holiday later THIS year. It will be replaced with another Carnival Ship. I was told the name, but I don't remember. It was not one of their new ships. It was just a class above the Holiday. They are hoping to have ALL this done by the end of 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hope this pans out. We are only 45min. to Mobile! We only cruise the Holiday because its so near. We have really enjoyed the Holiday and will hate to see it go. But, I would like to see one with better stabilizers etc. !

Any way, if anyone hears any thing else about this, please post it. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just wanted to share this with all of you. I, for one, would be happy if they simply kept the Holiday and added another larger ship to sail out of Mobile so there would be a little more variety and, hopefully, a different itinerary.

Sooner or later it is going to happen. I wish they would keep the Holiday and send a ship up to N.Y to cruise year round

Who cares? Galveston (or Houston) may not even figure into the mix when the Holiday becomes dearly departed. NOLA may not even be involved. No one knows for sure when the Holiday will leave the fleet and it's pure speculation if that will even involve the Fantasy. The only thing we know for sure about Fantasy is that that may be pretty much the gist of this whole thread. :) Carry on if you must.

I am sure the Celebration will not be far behind the Holiday! I sailed on the Celebration on it's 3rd voyage in 87! I will miss the small ships which ironically were among the largest when they were built. If I remember correctly, only the Norway and QE2 were larger back then. There may have been a couple of others as well, but not many.

Might see you on board--9/15 is when we're planning to book again :D

I just posted a really lonnnnnnnnnnng review on my first cruise on the Holiday and at the end I said said we'd sail her again--but life would be perfect if they'd put a fantasy class ship in Mobile--so needless to say I'm all for the change. But if it happens I'm sooooooooooo glad I got to sail the Holiday.

The 9/15 cruise will be our cruise buds 4th trip on her.

Happy Sails

You should come join us over on our Roll Call. We can all spend countless hours and waste lots of time debating whether or not we'll actually be cruising on the Holiday! ;)

I know I said I wouldn't respond to this guy, but his post is too much. I do not lie and that's what he is implying with his last post.

Could have fooled me.

Nice guys don't attack other posters.;)

Never said it was the gospel. Everything on this messge board is an opinion. Geez. The fact that only Norwegian is the only line that sails out of Houston now (and is pulling out this month, I believe) supports my opinion. As to how I received the info to form my opinion is something I will not share, as it involves my occupation at work.

Happy cruising.

Futaba....if you don't care, then don't read the following post!

OK now I am confused! Was your original post your opinion or "first hand" knowledge as you claimed? :confused:

I did not attack you! You were the one that responded to me saying that you had "first hand" knowledge implying that my statement was false. I simply supported my statement that was refuted by you with no facts or evidence to support your argument. I never called you a liar either. Your inability to support your original statement is doing that for you!

NCL pulling out of Houston does not support your "opinion" if that is what you want to call it now. NCL is pulling out of Houston because it's profitability is not where they want it. It has nothing to do with the extra distance to Houston over Galveston. If that was the case, why wouldn't they just move to Galveston? Also, how do then explain RCI's departure from Galveston?

BTW...Not all posts on this board are "opinions". Sometimes people do state facts or what they believe to be facts as you did in your post.:)

BTW...Not all posts on this board are "opinions". Sometimes people do state facts or what they believe to be facts as you did in your post.:)

He could tell us how he knows... but theb he'd have to kill us...... Once read on these boards that Carnival ships are white with red and blue accents. Guess that was an opinion too!

Since the rumor mill is up and running......I heard that Carnival was planning on moving a Destiny class ship into Galveston to replace the Ecstacy on the 4 and 5 day itineraries. Don't know if it's true, but if they are going to move ships around, they might as well include Galveston in the mix.

I would LOVE this option!!! The only way I really want to cruise out of Galveston is to have balconies at a value and I'd rather do a week long cruise on itineraries I haven't been on, so a shorter cruise- long weekend option for me would be awesome :) :)

It's a drive for me instead of a flight- yippee!

• 4 months later...

If this is true, and time is such a big factor, then I am curious why it is not such a big factor for ships sailing in and out New Orleans? to my recollection, it takes about 6 hours to navigate the Mississippi River.

I have been anticipating this announcement for quite some time. This subject comes up every couple of weeks, each time with new rumors of which ship is moving to Mobile. It would be easier to speculate on which ships have NOT been mentioned with regard to Mobile.

In all honesty, I have sailed on Fantasy and that is the last ship I want to see in Mobile, of all of my cruises that is the ship I like the least. I am sure I will get the typical flamers coming at me for saying that...but hey, it is my opinion and no one will change it.

I really have a gut feeling that Inspiration will be going to Mobile...at this point just a hunch...but when you look at the timing of Inspiration dry dock, it seems like it would be a good fit.

So for now that is my opinion....next week, when this comes up again, we'll see which ship is "rumored" to be going to mobile next.

When booking my next Holiday cruise (1/14/08) My PVP told me "yes,Holiday is sold, replaced with a fantasy class ship, no date as of now, reservations will be transfered deck for deck, cabin type for cabin type. will NOT be the Fantasy or the Sensation. I will be happy going on the Holiday OR any replacement. 5th and 6th cruise booked with Carnival and still HYPED about cruising ! So there, nyaaaa:D !

LOL I have been sitting on this rumor since Sat & didn't want to be the one to tell you since I know how you love that ship. When I heard the news, my comment was.....That is Cotton's fav ship.....guess she better book it again soon. :)

I've been away for some time and when I read this thread, I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT OF COTTON ALSO. :D

Archived