New Mariner Button

Gunters Oma

Yes...Yes...Yes --- I am doing the doc dance! Our packet for the May 19 Maadam New England/Canada trip arrived today.

Could hardly wait the few seconds it took to open the envelope to see the blue damask pouch. I had to take another second to rub the damask - savoring the moment. ;)

I opened the packet and first thing I looked for (because this is our second HAL cruise) was the "red" mariner buttons I had been reading about. WOW - not red buttons but big blue/gold buttons with the HAL logo and the words Holland America Mariner on it! Really quite classy -- I shall wear my with pride!:D

BTW - Dining: 2 Formal and 5 Smart Casual Nights

Gotta get back to my dance!

Jayne

I opened the packet and first thing I looked for (because this is our second HAL cruise) was the "red" mariner buttons I had been reading about. WOW - not red buttons but big blue/gold buttons with the HAL logo and the words Holland America Mariner on it!
I think you've gotten confused somewhere along the line. The ping-pong size blue/gold Mariner buttons aren't "new". And you don't get a red lapel button until you've sailed HAL for 50 days. But enjoy your 2nd cruise! :)

Congratulations on getting your docs!!! And for your first Mariners Buttons. The 'red pin' comes after you have completed 50 days. Hope you get that Very soon :) but in the meantime, hope you get lots more big blue Mariners Buttons!! Enjoy your short countdown.

Jayne.....

I'm sorry you felt we were making you feel really dumb. That most assuredly was not my intention. I was trying to give you accurate information. I'm sorry if I failed to be properly tactful and/or sensitive and to express my pleasure at your happiness with your documents and Mariner recognition.

a bit off topic... what are the days vs. pins/medallions? for 25 and 50 days, can that number be in the middle of a cruise or not until one takes the next cruise with HAL?

If you're asking when can you receive them, it can definitly happen before you complete the 15, 50, 100, etc days. Just last Sunday on Ryndam, a couple got their 300 day medals while their count was actually at 296

My understanding: the various pins are awarded on your current cruise if you achieve that level of days sailed by the end of the current sailing. Sometimes, they get generous ... HAL gave us our 25-day pin on a cruise that, at its conclusion, was only a total of a 24-day total history with them.

a bit off topic... what are the days vs. pins/medallions? for 25 and 50 days, can that number be in the middle of a cruise or not until one takes the next cruise with HAL?

LolaWiz,

The 25 day pins are blue, the 50 days red. After that come the "hardware" which is what I've heard the medallions called. (We get our 100-day ones next cruise, yay!) First is bronze for 100 days, 300 (If I remember right) for silver, 500 for gold and an incredible 700 for platinum.

You get them on the cruise in which you reach or will reach the milestone. For example, if you will have 28 days at the end of the cruise you are on, you will get your blue pin at the Mariners' do, even if it occurs on what is actually your 24th day. You will get a questionnaire to fill out to indicate how many days you will have earned at the end of the cruise, so the cruise staff knows who has earned the next level of recognition.

And Oma Jayne, never feel embarrassed about getting the sublime blue packet, always feel joy! Even after many HAL cruises, I still want to dance. Welcome fellow Mariner! (Doesn't that sound great? :D ) Tanti auguri!

Dave

Interesting how things happen sometimes. We got our red pins during a sailing that just brought our total to 48 days! We surpassed the requisite number (50) on our next cruise, but found it odd we got them early. I guess HAL knew we were hooked and would be back pretty quickly! :)

Sails...I have been a "fan" of yours since I started lurking here many months ago. I never, for one second, thought you were being anything but kind and helpful.

I was sincerely trying to say I appreciate your help and you and JTL were most tactful and didn't make me feel uncomfortable - unfortunately my choice of words was "dumb". :o

Jayne

For example, if you will have 28 days at the end of the cruise you are on, you will get your blue pin at the Mariners' do, even if it occurs on what is actually your 24th day.
Ours were just left on the bed, along with the tiles, on the night before the Mariner party.

Ours were just left on the bed, along with the tiles, on the night before the Mariner party.

That's when/how you usually get your pins. They will give you your hardwear -- 100, 300, 500, 700, etc. -- medallions (like this):

chrismariner.jpg

... at the mariners reception itself. The "hardware" is among the most expensive jewelry you'll ever own!

I was shocked and pleasantly surprised when I recieved my 25 day pin on our Zuiderdam cruise last September (at the completion of that cruise I would have had 23 days with HAL). It was a fantastic little surprise :) Soon I'll start working on that 50 day one...

John (jtl513) and Greg (revneal),

I stand corrected, or better-memoried now! Now I remember we did get our 50 pins in the stateroom but wore them to the do and were asked to stand up and be recognized, which is probably why I thought we got them at the reception. And, on the Westerdam this spring, there were so many people receiving pins they did the same thing and only brought the hardware winners down to receive their medallions.

And thanks for the pictures of the medallions! You're right about them being the most expensive jewelry I'll probably ever own.

Dave

Archived