Formal Dinners

I've cruised twice on RCCL both times on the Mariner and on formal nights I've seen a variety of dressing styles. Most men are in jackets, and its the women I've noticed who vary the most in appearance. If you're comfortable not looking like the majority, wear what you want...they won't turn you away from a meal.

My DW wouldn't think of me packing without a tux. Which is not a problem for me. We like the tradition of formal wear in the dining room a couple of nights. And, the tradition of those who choose not to dress up going to the optional dining places. Oooops...I just stoked the fire. I'm off to the fridge for a new drink. Show's getting better! We should be hearing from the "you paid your fare, it's your right to wear what you want to on your vacation" crowd any minute.

My DW wouldn't think of me packing without a tux. Which is not a problem for me. We like the tradition of formal wear in the dining room a couple of nights. And, the tradition of those who choose not to dress up going to the optional dining places. Oooops...I just stoked the fire. I'm off to the fridge for a new drink. Show's getting better! We should be hearing from the "you paid your fare, it's your right to wear what you want to on your vacation" crowd any minute.

Maybe it's because I don't have to dress up at work...

I bought a tux when I got married. I figured if I wore it more than a couple of times I'd be ahead in the long run--and that was before I had been on any cruises.

Yes, it's a lot easier to wear a collared shirt and slacks than to dress up. But I like to wear a tux occasionally (ok, I'm going to have to buy a new one for this summer--the old one seems to have shrunk a bit). I have no problems with guys wearing a dark suit on formal evenings, or any color suit, for that matter; it's their choice. I do get a little upset with people who wear just a shirt and slacks, or the kids who come in to dinner in a t-shirt. Would I bar them from the dining room? No--but I certainly would prefer they chose another alternative that night.

OP: it's your choice. I don't think there's been a lot of flaming in this thread, just people giving their considered opinions (which you requested).

11 minutes for a response to this?! Boards must be slow tonight ;)

Hey Susie, I went to your website - I love that song! Are you married to the guy from Frasier?;)

Is there a joke I'm missing here?

Edit: Actually, he does look kind of like Niles, doesn't he? He's about 20 years younger though!

We too have to dress conservatively for work, although not always in a suit, so our vacation preference leans toward casual attire. It wouldn't be too appetizing for anyone if we showed up sans clothes as some of the commenters suggested...think we'll opt for alternative dining on formal nights. Will make it alot easier to pack too!

Assume any leftover popcorn is pretty stale by now - so ends this thread.

sunny fla: After reading your first and last post one should realize that you certainly do not deserve to be flamed (and I'm glad to see that you were not). We are cruising on the Freedom in three weeks and had decided to forgo the formal clothes and dine in the cafeteria. However, we just changed our minds and will again be packing formal gowns and tux. We are drawn to the atmosphere of the formal dining experience and respect you for your decision to seek alternative dining when wearing casual clothes.

Well the way I see it is you ladies have a whole lot more opportunity to "shine" with a vast array of smart formal clothes than we men. The formal night or nights on a cruise is special and gives us men a chance to look good that's why I wear my kilt. If it's really a problem then you don't have to go to the dining room that night, hit one of the speciality restaurants or have a pizza or something. If there were no rules or guidelines people would be turning up for breakfast in pyjamas, nobody wants to see that, do they? I think it also depends what cruise line you're sailing with and on what itinerary as to how well the guidelines are followed. My first cruise was to the Panama Canal and on the formal nights even the kids turned up immaculate in their little tuxedos and evening dresses. Their manners were impeccable, I was really impressed.

Shug :)

Well the way I see it is you ladies have a whole lot more opportunity to "shine" with a vast array of smart formal clothes than we men. The formal night or nights on a cruise is special and gives us men a chance to look good that's why I wear my kilt. If it's really a problem then you don't have to go to the dining room that night, hit one of the speciality restaurants or have a pizza or something. If there were no rules or guidelines people would be turning up for breakfast in pyjamas, nobody wants to see that, do they? I think it also depends what cruise line you're sailing with and on what itinerary as to how well the guidelines are followed. My first cruise was to the Panama Canal and on the formal nights even the kids turned up immaculate in their little tuxedos and evening dresses.

Good for you Shug! If anyone wants to see smartness personified look for a man in a full dress kilt.

Hi Bill, hope you enjoy the Jewel in November, I love that ship. Went to see it in the shipyard in Germany before it headed for the sea and it was just beautiful. Pics of the trip are on here www.shug.smugmug.com/gallery/389895 I also paid the Jewel a visit when she came into Greenock in Scotland as a guest of our waiter Daniela. She treated us very well and it was great seeing the ship again especially here in Scotland. Pics can be found here www.shug.smugmug.com/gallery/616938 If Daniela is on board and you see her can you pass on my best wishes? She is from Romania and her husband works in the Portofino restaurant.

Formal nights are for formal wear and Casual nights are for casual wear. Thats my opinion but as I am not the one standing at the door stopping people coming into the dinning room there is nothing I can do about it.

I spent 25 years in the British Army so if I went to a function wear a suit was expected thats what I would wear and on a Dinner Night or Formal Function night I would wear Mess Kit (What we called or Formal wear) and my wife would be in a long dress or Ball gown. On my 2nd cruise on the Radiance when I was still in the Army I took my Mess Kit and wore that on the Formal nights along with medals. Now I have a dinner suit (Tux) which I wear, and my wife wears a long dress.

We have only been cruising for 2 1/2 years but on the Explorer last month for 3 weeks my wife an I remarked that the standard of dress on formal nights has come down. On the middle week we had a couple on the table who did not know they were coming on a cruise ( don't ask) so had nothing formal to wear all of us on the table said that anything would do but they would not come near the dinning room on formal nights.

I will continue to dress for dinner on formal nights on RCI unless I turn up and am the only one in a Dinner Suit/Tux. If that happens I will find another cruise line.

I would much rather sit by a nice gentleman with manners wearing just a dress shirt and slacks on formal night than a loud mouth slob in a tux.

Clothes do not make the man!

On all of our cruises we have seen men in just slacks ,shirt and maybe a tie on formal night.

What do you wear on formal nights? :rolleyes:

LL

What do you wear on formal nights? :rolleyes:

LL

Hubby usually wears a dark suit and I wear a evening dress or long skirt with top.

But if we only had dressy casual we would still go and eat in the main dining room on formal nights.It is only a meal .

My point is I would rather have them worry about noisy obnoxious people than whether men have tuxes or balck suits.

i have noticed alot of people dont drees up on the short 3 days cruise as they do for the longer ones even though there is one formal night on the short ones i dont fell like getting all dressed up for this one so we just wont go to the formal night in the dinning room

I would much rather sit by a nice gentleman with manners wearing just a dress shirt and slacks on formal night than a loud mouth slob in a tux.

Clothes do not make the man!

On all of our cruises we have seen men in just slacks ,shirt and maybe a tie on formal night.

Good post!:)

Hi we just got back from Rhapsody on Sunday and on the 2 formal nights, most men were in slacks with a blazer, there was an occasional tux, but many men had on nice slacks, blazer and a summer sweater under too, they looked great! My DH opted for that on the 2nd formal after seeing it done on the first! 3 men at our 10 top did not wear a tie at all, but blazer and slacks, and the blazers all came off because it was warm!! Have a great time!!! :)

I was on Serenade for a week in February. I wore a suit to both dinners, however there were plenty of gentlemen in nice shirts and slacks.

Hi RCC our plans are for the Serenade for the Oct 08 Hawaii Cruise, have been on the Brilliance, is she equally as beautiful.

Well, this "loud mouth slob" wears a tux on formal night :confused: . We don't have the chance to dress up much where we live and we enjoy the night for that reason. However, dress how you feel comfortable. Most folks look really nice on formal night whether they wear a tux or just something neat and sharp. I have yet had anyone ruin my evening due to how they were dressed. Enjoy yourself :D .

Archived