Dinner Tablemates Question

Sailing with a friend in October. We are both single. Does RCI do their best to match up single cruisers with other singles at dinner. They did for our Empress cruise. Just wonder if this is common practice. Thanks in advance :D

Some will say yes, personal experience, no. I sailed alone, was seated at a table with an old couple that did not talk and 3 really young guys that were vegetarian so went to Windjammer every night after the first, I had my table changed and sat by myself because no one else showed up the whole week. Next time I sailed alone, I was put with a family of 4 and a mom and daughter sailing together. They were all nice and I had drinks with them several times and we all went dancing together a couple of nights.

On my cruise last week on the Mariner, my family of 4 (myself, wife, 11 yo son and 8 year old daughter) sat with a couple in their 60's and a newlywed couple. Go figure! We had a great time with them, but we were hoping that we would have had some kids at our table. And I'm sure the other two couples thought "Oh my god" when they saw us coming with our kids. However, both couples, as well as people from tables around us, told us how well behaved our children were.

We've been seated with all ages and have always had a good time at dinner! Our 1st cruise had a newlywed couple at our table (10 top) and they only showed 1 night. But, that left plenty of folks to converse with--we all had a great time! Having nice tablemates makes dinner an occassion---not just a meal! We really look forward to dinner, just to "catch up" with everyone else's day!

Sailing with a friend in October. We are both single. Does RCI do their best to match up single cruisers with other singles at dinner. They did for our Empress cruise. Just wonder if this is common practice. Thanks in advance :D

Are you hoping to get lucky????? ;)

My experience, I have been seated with people at dinner that fit my same demographic. Sometimes, someone at the table (or a couple) doesnt really fit but for the most part, I've been pretty lucky! I always try to sit at a big table and I've always enjoyed coming to dinner and discussing everyone's days or such. My last cruise, we joked about how we were like a family that would get together at dinner - cause we would always ask, so how was your day?!?!

I asked on Carnival once how they place people at dinner, and they told me that they do their best to place people based on age, location, single/couple. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. But thats the fun of sitting at a large table - you never know who you are gonna meet!!

I'd say no based on my last two experiences. I was traveling with my family (DH, DD, FIL, MIL, SIL, and BIL). The first time, we were with three ladies in their 60's or so traveling together. My FIL and MIL are very quiet, conservative, shy, private (they don't share anything, so it's hard to have a conversation) and don't really speak English, but they were sitting next to them, and it was a very large table, so it was very awkward because we, who spoke English, had to literally shout to them. The next day we asked to be moved, but they had already asked to be moved.

Last year, one single lady was assigned to our table. I told the maitre'd that she may have more fun if she was assigned to another table, and she was.

It'll be interesting what happens next week - this time we have 14!

Hello, Terri!!!! Well, I have to say that on our cruise (same Empress cruise as you), I found it interesting that we were seated with two other couples, approximately our age and it worked out really well!!! So, hopefully someone looks at ages, marital status, etc., to try to make good matches.

Isn't wild that we didn't meet each other on the Empress cruise, and now are sailing on the Explorer together and met on roll call. What are the chances that strangers plan the same two cruises in a row??? :D

Hello, Terri!!!! Well, I have to say that on our cruise (same Empress cruise as you), I found it interesting that we were seated with two other couples, approximately our age and it worked out really well!!! So, hopefully someone looks at ages, marital status, etc., to try to make good matches.

Isn't wild that we didn't meet each other on the Empress cruise, and now are sailing on the Explorer together and met on roll call. What are the chances that strangers plan the same two cruises in a row??? :D

Shoo - we weren't on the same sailing though - were we?

I sailed with 4 other girls and we were seated with a group of 4 girls - we were had the funnest table that week - that is for sure!!! Right Dawn??? :D

My husband and I have been on 4 RCCL cruises and have always been seated with great people. This past year we sat with a family with 2 teenage daughters and a 3 yr. old who were hysterical and we looked forward to seeing them every night. Dinner is what you make of it, it's your vacation just have fun!:)

Archived