Emerald Madiden Voyage Review Info

Bassethound

I don't think anyone from our CC group went to Delos. I am presuming you would go there from Mykonos as a side trip.

Our day in Mykonos although clear and bright was very cold and extremely windy. It was the only day ( weather wise) which couldn't be described as delightful.

I am wondering if even the ship's excursions may not have gotten off to Delos. Seas were quite choppy. The Emerald had a slight list to port for a short period on leaving Mykonos and folks were cautioned about wind on the open decks.

I have loaded all of my pictures onto my computer and am in the process of uploading them all to the web. This process will take a while. What in particular are people interested in seeing?

Um...........the ship, the ship, the ship, the ship and the ship:D :D

Thank you nomars!

Got more? Are you gonna do a photobucket or other album posting somewhere? I'd love to see them all!

I took over 800 pictures on this trip. Most of them are in the ports. I'm organizing and uploading them now. I'll put together some albums for sharing once everying is uploaded.

If I'm understanding Wokie's post on his live thread about Corfu, the only way to get into town is either walking the 3 miles, taking a taxi or ship excursion ...no shuttle (free or paid ?). Are there alot of taxi's waiting at the port?

Curious, given the number of passengers onboard and if there is another ship in port that day, it would seem like it would be a zoo.

Julia

If I'm understanding Wokie's post on his live thread about Corfu, the only way to get into town is either walking the 3 miles, taking a taxi or ship excursion ...no shuttle (free or paid ?). Are there alot of taxi's waiting at the port?

Curious, given the number of passengers onboard and if there is another ship in port that day, it would seem like it would be a zoo.

Julia

It is not 3 miles - it's more like 2 - probably a little less. There were taxis waiting by the ship. Princess also offered a "Corfu town on your own" excursion which was basically a paid shuttle bus. We walked in and took a taxi back.

There was another ship in port the day we were there, but we didn't have any trouble getting a taxi. There are local buses as well. There may be one that will get you from the port to town.

Guest debbiejohncruise
This is my final post from the ship as it is time for packing and fun in Venice. It has been a trip of a lifetime for us. Everything has been so beautiful and interesting. It was even better than our transatlantic in 2006 (NY to Venice). We can't wait to return to this ship and this part of the world.

Last night was formal night. It was much more formal than the first one. I'd revise my earlier statement that a nice dress would do to a nice BLACK dress or pants would do. It seemed like everyone was dressed in black or dark colors last night.

The CC group meetings are pretty much unknown by me. Two meetings were set up in advance. There was one 15 minutes after the lifeboat drill. I was too tired and rushed to do more than stop by to say hi. The second one was at 10ish on our first sea day. I didn't wake up until after it was over. That meant not knowing if there were other meetings or not. Hope some others from this cruise tell of their trips.

Yes, we did get a heavy green glass item with the ship's name and date. Hope it doesn't put us over the weight limit on our luggage.

I will post some pictures when we get back home. There is no way pictures can show the beauty we have seen. You have to come and experience this for yourself.

Granny that was a beautiful Kosta Boda Swedish made emerald green glass bowl with the inscription on it! I know it was heavy but it was beautiful and a very nice gift for all of us! Loved receiving something that nice for our inaugural cruise.

Have read all the messages on here. We did do a tour of Dubrovnik, Croatia and were pleased with it. Beautiful place and well restored after all the war damage. All of our tours were booked through Princess and the key to getting there before the crowds is to go on the earliest bus which means showing up for your tours on time at your meeting place (or a little bit earlier).

Mykonos was not that windy or cold. My husband and I did that trip on our own and you can walk to the 4 windmills and through the little lanes. Pretty place and very quaint. We found a restaurant that had two little patios overlooking the windmills and had coffee outside over the water.

Enjoy the cruise everyone! We had a great time and were very busy doing everything we could. The anytime dining was an excellent choice and we never waited for a table. You have two dining rooms to choose from and depending what time you want to eat will be the deciding factor on whether you find it busy or not. I wish all cruise ships had this option. Always sat with great people who quickly became cruising friends. Debbie and John

It is not 3 miles - it's more like 2 - probably a little less. There were taxis waiting by the ship. Princess also offered a "Corfu town on your own" excursion which was basically a paid shuttle bus. We walked in and took a taxi back.

There was another ship in port the day we were there, but we didn't have any trouble getting a taxi. There are local buses as well. There may be one that will get you from the port to town.

Thanks for the info. Great help in preplanning. I have gotten a bus schedule so will check to see what the routes are and if one goes to/from the port.

BTW, great pics. Ship reminds me of the Star Princess.

The anytime dining was an excellent choice and we never waited for a table. You have two dining rooms to choose from and depending what time you want to eat will be the deciding factor on whether you find it busy or not. I wish all cruise ships had this option. Always sat with great people who quickly became cruising friends. Debbie and John

We have decided to change from Traditional to Anytime given the port intensive cruise. What times did you find it less busy?

For those who stayed in Venice post cruise, were there water taxi's you can hire at the port terminal? How was the disembarkation process? Did Princess offer transport to certain drop off points in Venice so passengers can get to their hotels?

Thanks to all of you for answering my many questions. Its very much appreciated.

Julia

Water taxis are available, but are very expensive. The vaporettos, which are more like a water bus will take you to St. Marco's. I don't think it would be feasible to bring luggage on the vaporetto. Princess transfers were available to a number of hotels (I didn't save the information since we were staying by the airport).

We did it the hard way and dragged our luggage to Piazelle Roma (about 15 minute walk from the ship) and took the bus to our hotel by the airport. After dropping off our luggage, we went back by bus to play in Venice for the rest of the day. (We had an early flight the day after disembarkation).

The disembarkation process was very smooth. You just put your bags out the night before and waited for your color to be called. We had no trouble at all finding our bags or dragging them to the bus station. (Our DD was less than thrilled).

We were assign anytime dining. We know they have two dining rooms, do they serve the same menu in both dining room or a different menu? What time is best not to have to wait? Can you make reservation?

The menu is the same in both dining rooms (and the same in the traditional dining room as well). We went at all different times and never waited if we were willing to share a table. If we wanted a table for 2, we got a pager and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. The pager would usually go off before we could even get a drink at the nearest bar. I found that the Michelangelo was a bit less crowded than the DaVinci.

Thanks, you're right about the christening being changed from Santorini (back story: Princess has planned to do a neat dual christening of Royal Princess and Emerald Princess when both were docked in Santorini on the same day but the tragic sinking of Sea Diamond made them rethink the idea in honor of the, well, tragedy).

So now it's in Athens. Not sure of the date but it's pretty well into the trip, like the 13th of May. Actually the christening will take place in Pireaus, the port for Athens, which actually is a very cool city (think Marseilles with a Greek accent). And Cruise Critic's Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis lives there! She writes our Under the Captain's Table column. So I'll get to see her, too.

We are still going to Santorini and I will be touring Royal Princess so stay tuned for a sneak preview on that ship....

Carolyn

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Hi Carolyn

I feel sure you will be aware of this but I understand that the ship christenings are no longer taking place in Santorini due to a tragedy with a Greek cruise ship which took place recently. I saw this on a UK TA's website but can't recall the new arrangements. Sorry.

I agree with nomars_girl that the walk from the station is easily doable if you have luggage on wheels. The free shuttle to the ship is right at the port entrance. seems we were luckky as we had no staicases to encounter.

We had booked a hotel in Venice near the airport (Marriott Courtyard) - an excellent hotel. On booking the hotel told us if we called them on arrival they would send their taxi service and we would be charged I think 45 Euros. When we called them - they ssaid it would take half an hour for the taxi to get there and we would be better off getting a taxi at the port. So we got a taxi right outside the disembarkation room - 4 of us with baggage - 23 Euros. :) Worked out for the better.

At the hotel we were advised to get a 24 hour pass for the bus and vaporettos. Unlimited use for 15 Euros. The bus stop was right outside the hotel and it took us to Piazzale Roma where we caugh the vaporetto. A very good deal as each way for the vaporetto is 6 euros and the bus 1 - so you have unlimited use for 24 hours with this ticket for alot less.

In Venice we had booked the evening gondola with seranade and dinner. Just over 90 Euros each. well worth the experience. Also if you have the 24 hour pass for the vapaoretto it stops right at the hotel where you catch the gondola and where the restaurant is. All quite easy.

On the Rome side we stayed at the port in the Hotel Traiano. Excellent hotel again. Our room was actually a suite with bedroom, livingroom and small kitchen area with a dining table. They have a shuttle right to the ship (free) and will pick you up at the airport for a fee of course (but it was reasonable). I would recommend this one if you want to stay close to the ship as it is a comfortable walking distance.

The menu is the same in both dining rooms (and the same in the traditional dining room as well). We went at all different times and never waited if we were willing to share a table. If we wanted a table for 2, we got a pager and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. The pager would usually go off before we could even get a drink at the nearest bar. I found that the Michelangelo was a bit less crowded than the DaVinci.

I thought the Michelangelo was to be used for traditional diing. Is that correct or is it aytime diing?

Michelangelo was anytime. Botticelli was traditional.

I think Princess forgot to update their website???http://www.princess.com/ships/ep/tour/ep_personal_choice_dining.html

Traditional

This ship offers several formal dining rooms in the cruise tradition, with Traditional Dining at the same times for each meal, with attentive service provided by your own waiter throughout the cruise.

• Michelangelo Dining Room

Anytime

Anytime Dining means you aren’t limited to eating at a fixed time or place on the ship. Instead, the choice of when and where you want to eat is flexible, based only on your stomach’s whim.

• Botticelli Dining Room
  • Da Vinci Dining Room

Thanks for clarifying which is which.

Another question: At the purser desk does anyone know if they are able to cash euro traveler checks for euros? Will be using ATM's on shore but as a backup "might" think to bring some euro traveler checks.

Julia

OK, I hope this will work. I have put together pictures from the inaugural cruise (April 11-23). I tried to include as many pictures of the ship as I could. All ports are included except for Katakolon since we never went ashore that day. Ports are in chronological order, but the order on any given day is fairly random. Enjoy!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Xc9ci8ZS

The pictures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

By any chance did you go by any of the inside rooms on the Riviera deck.

We are booked in R507 and wondering if it will be noisy since it is below a pool deck and near the laundry?

Archived