To Lois R, Paul, and others...

CrazyCruiseCanuck

Thank you for the encouragement...(Lois, I feel that I know you from the 'fashion' board :) )

First, let me explain..I am new to the world of solo cruising...my husband and I had been on 6 wonderful cruises, all with Royal Caribbean, and had 3 more planned, when he passed away suddenly (heart) in February.

Although my life has changed completely, I feel that I cannot sit and home and isolate myself....I'm not that type. I will travel as planned at the end of this month with my 20-year-old son, and with friends in November. However, last week I found a good rate on the Mariner for September (didn't care where she went, just wanted to cruise), and booked it solo. (I know it's hurricane season, but I will think happy thoughts...)

I was starting to question my decision and feel a little insecure about the whole thing until I started reading this board. I feel so much better now, having other people address many of the concerns that I had, and to hear so much encouragement to first-time solo cruisers.

So thanks to all of you, and I hope to meet many nice people like you on my travels. Being alone is not my choice, but I am determined to make the best of it.

Hi Cindy:)

First, my heartfelt sympathies to you on the passing of your

husband. Hoping you have a good support system at home.

Next, thanks for the kind words. I have to be honest and I would

love to meet Paul on a cruise one day:D...Paul, you seem like

a fun person with a fantastic sense of humor:D

I sailed during hurricane season in 2004. We made it through

that particular week but the ship did alter course a bit...no big

deal to me.

I will keep your week in mind, though the Voyager class ships

don't really appeal to me...but the Mariner is only a 2 hour

drive from where I live;)

Lastly, I am glad we could help you. Sometimes all we need

is a big of encourgement! Our lives are totally different,

(I have been on my own for more than 20 years) and I have

always done things on my own.

Cruising is a piece of cake and I hope you have a wonderful

time.

If you need any other help...pointers...etc....please ask!:)

Lois, I'm so glad to finally 'meet' you here:) ....I have lurked on the 'Cruise Fashion and Beauty' board for years, and have always enjoyed your opinions..and especially enjoyed seeing all of your photos! (It has made me realize that I will need to ask people to take pictures of/for me in September. )

I am also a 'cruise shopper', and am always looking for bargains and additions to my 'cruise wardrobe'.!

Again , thanks for your kind wishes. I do indeed have a good support network here...I work in a chemistry lab for the Canadian Forest Service, and have many good friends here (my husband had also worked here, and everyone has been very kind to me.). My son Ian still lives at home with me while he is studying for a Civil Engineering degree, and he is a great comfort and ideal travelling companion. However, his time for vacations is very limited between studies and summer jobs. Which is why I think I need to get some experience travelling solo.

I'm now looking forward to my Mariner cruise much more than I was before I found this forum. I'll be checking in often, I think.

Happy travels:)

Hi,:) after reading your post I went to the Royal Website and

checked the week you are sailing...Sept 16th....even for

a solo the prices are LOW.....I will keep it in the back of my mind.;)

Hello Cindy and Lois!

Wow, I am really touched by your kind words. Thank you! :D

Besides the two of you, there are some awesome people on this board. We solo cruisers are definitely giving encouragement to each other. Let's all keep up the good work!

Paul

Paul,

We have the Carnival Freedom Trans-Atlantic in April 08 to look forward to. Did you notice the price went up however I hear that one TA still has group space and onboard credit. The cruise should be fun. I haven't been on Carnival in a while but their newer ships are nice and of course the price is right.

Hi Vince:

Yes, I am looking forward to the Carnival Freedom next year. On the 26th of this month I will be starting across the Atlantic on Celebrity's newly refurbished Century, and our Freedom cruise leaves exactly one year later. Who knows, maybe this will start a trend for me!

Paul

P.S. Yes, I did notice the price increase, which I was expecting. I am glad I got locked in early.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow solo cruisers:

I just wanted to give you a holler. I am leaving tomorrow on my TA aboard the Century. I will be back in a couple of weeks and I will check in with you then. Keep this board cooking for me, eh?

Ciao! :cool:

Paul

Paul, Have a FANTASTIC time:)

I have sailed Century 3 times but the most recent was 2 years ago.

I will be on her for a short cruise in December.

Enjoy everything.....please check in when you get back and

let us know all about it:D

Thanks!

Archived