Amsterdam - how far is pier from town?

2007AMSTramCS-vi.jpg

Have a look to the people at the sidewalk. Just right of them you see the white round roof: That's the Central Station.

This picture was made just in front of the Amsterdam Passenger Terminal. Walking distance 12 minutes.

If you are "lazy": have a look to the left. There are 2 tram lines:

25 and 26. One is terminating the next station: Central Station and one is going to the city center itself (like Dam).

Regards,

HeinBloed

It is walkable, it will be about just over 1 mile along a busy road.. However the station on Hein's photos looks close, but the road isnot straight ahead as there is 1 or canals to be crossed. Check b5 on this map.

If you donot have too much luggage take tramnr. 25 that ends at the cruise-terminal. However this tram goes 2 ways from Centraal Station, so watch you take the right one!

It's straight ahead!

And there is one bridge to be passed!

It's not busy if you just stay at the sea-side side-walk.

Anyway the other side is closed due to construction works of the station.

25 starts left of the cruise terminal and goes 4 times per hour -

but if you go to the right side there is 25 and 26 which are going together 10 times per hour to the central station (like shown on the picture).

Regards,

HeinBloed

Due to this endless contruction the entrance of CS sometimes have a detour...but again it is walkable.

With a busy road I meant to state it is safe, you will certainly no be the only one and there is a seprate walkway.

thank you for your info - my main concern is:

I want to pre-book Anne Frank museum - and we dock at 8 a.m. - so I am wondering if I should get 9:30 to 10 a.m. ticket and how long it would take to walk? I may want to stop at the Central Station and buy canal boat ticket, then I guess I could take a tram to Anne Frank - and if I am early could walk around the area......

what time would you recommend to book the tour?

CJ cruzer

There is a chance to combine both:

instead of a "classic" canal cruise: why not taking the canal bus?

Route Map

Schedule

10.30 hrs will be the best to book a tour at Anne-Frank-House.

You can book your tickets for Anne-Frank-House online:

Anne Frank Website

Later you can return with the canal bus back to the Amsterdam Passenger Terminal (Cruise Terminal).

If you do no like to start so late:

Let's say you leave the ship 9.00 hrs

you can be finished to buy your canal tour tickets until 9.30 hrs

and I would book a tour from 10.00 hrs.

If you are facing the Central Station building you must go the left part platforms to enter tram 13/17 to Westermarket (3 stops):

Central Station Tram Stop location

On the right side you find the GVB-building (incl. tourist information and ticketing for canal-tours).

IF YOU WALK FROM THE CRUISE TERMINAL YOU ENTER THE CENTRAL STATION BUILDING FROM THE BACK SIDE AND HAVE TO PASS TO THE FRONT.

If you prefer the "classic" canal cruises:

Lovers

Holland International

Regards,

HeinBloed

You can buy tickets for An Frank house on-line. That ticket is valid for a certain day, not a certain time. If you have the ticket there is a special entrance door, so you donot have to wait in line with those that donot have tickets.

As Hein mentions from CS tram 13 to Westerkerk and a short walk on Prinsengracht. Walking from CS will be around 20 minutes.

The "ordinary" canalboatcruises leave from various places in town. Best known are the 2 mentioned from CS, also nice is Rederij Kooy, leaving from Rokin. From Westerkerk take tram 14 on the opposite site of the street and get off at Rokin, 3 (?) stops.

From there or from CS back again on 25 to the cruiseterminal.

Is it possible to walk from the cruise terminal to the Maritime Museum? There's a pick-up stop for the hop on/off canal boat there. I can't tell from the maps if there is a pedestrian sidewalk on Kattenburgerstraut.

Thanks!

Is it possible to walk from the cruise terminal to the Maritime Museum? There's a pick-up stop for the hop on/off canal boat there. I can't tell from the maps if there is a pedestrian sidewalk on Kattenburgerstraut.

Thanks!

Just to make sure that you really want to go to this place:

Do you know that this museum is closed for two years since January 2007 for renovation?

See their website.

Therefore is your question still actual? This could be the reason why the stop of the canal tour is cancelled there and you cannot get off on the new schedule.

Normally there is one!

Regards,

HeinBloed

No, the online information still shows this as a stop. Guess we will get on down at the Central Station.

I know: the first page shows the stop at Maritime Museum.

Here are the current map and schedules:

http://www.canal.nl/gfx/products/Canal%20Bus%20routes.pdf

http://www.canal.nl/gfx/products/Canal%20Bus%20tijdschema.pdf

Regards,

HeinBloed

let me clarify - our boat docks at 8 a.m. - I would like to do Anne Frank house immediately, and I can pre-book the tour for a SPECIFIC TIME AND day - which would be either 9:30 a.m. for 10:30 a.m. I have already e-mailed the Anne Frank museum, who gave me these instructions, also if we are late, they cannot gurantee when we get in- is it walkable entirely from the pier - or should I be going to Centraal station to get tram or canal boat tickets and then head over to Anne Frank.....

CJ cruzer

let me clarify - our boat docks at 8 a.m. - I would like to do Anne Frank house immediately, and I can pre-book the tour for a SPECIFIC TIME AND day - which would be either 9:30 a.m. for 10:30 a.m. I have already e-mailed the Anne Frank museum, who gave me these instructions, also if we are late, they cannot gurantee when we get in- is it walkable entirely from the pier - or should I be going to Centraal station to get tram or canal boat tickets and then head over to Anne Frank.....

CJ cruzer

It is a rather long walk from the pier to An Frank house, it will be around 25/30 minutes. If you want to make a specific time, you better take the trams. (25 plus 13 change at CS and go off at Westerkerk.)

I donot know if customs needs to clear your ship, but I would suggest to take the 10.30. Should you be there earlier, make a walk along the small canals of the "Jordaan" area, more or less oppposite Ann Frank house.

Bring a map or make a print of the B4 and B5 sections of this map:http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/.

As you see the maincanals are like a half circle, but walking you can take a shorter route.

You can buy single tickets for the tram inside, or the "strippenkaart", ticket with more sections on it at Centraal Station.

I donot know if customs needs to clear your ship, but I would suggest to take the 10.30.

Depends to the last port of call ahead of Amsterdam...

Non-Schengen like UK-Ports = much more higher risk that immigration/custom's clearance need longer

= No customs but immigration

or

Schengen but non-EU like Norwegian ports = same as UK-ports

= No immigration but no customs

than

Schengen like Germany, Denmark, Belgium, France

= No immigration and no customs - should go very fast.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Ine, I was watching a travel show by Rick Steves last week and they went to a theatre that is now a memorial to the Dutch Jews that were sent to the camps in WWII. Is that near the port? Can you walk there? Thanks, Michele

Ine, I was watching a travel show by Rick Steves last week and they went to a theatre that is now a memorial to the Dutch Jews that were sent to the camps in WWII. Is that near the port? Can you walk there? Thanks, Michele

I am not sure which building you mean. If you go the site of the Tourist Office and click in: To do - Museums and attractions - you will see various museums. http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

One of them is " Joods Historisch Museum, (jewish historical museum) the other is: Verzetsmuseum Amsterdam.(duitch resistance museum).

Furthermore there is "Hollandse Schouwburg", which is the place jewish peoiple werd held before brought ot Germany. Check:

http://www.joodsmonument.nl/article.php?thg_id=1005.71&lang=en

Maybe you mean one of these?

thanks Ines and Heinbloed....

our ship will be coming from Belgium, so I assume no customs/immigration - fast disembarkation - also we are on a small-passenger size ship-only 680 to disembark.....

I would like to stop at Central Station possibly for canal boat ticket - or can that be purchased at other places - information centre around town, or right with the canal boat itself....

I am still undecided if we will be able to make 9:30 a.m. or if we should stop at Central Station and buy any day passes/tickets we may need....

CJcruzer

I would like to stop at Central Station possibly for canal boat ticket - or can that be purchased at other places - information centre around town, or right with the canal boat itself....

It's all in the same building:

Public Transport (GVB)

Tourist Information (VVV)

Cruise Canal Operators

Regards,

HeinBloed

It is the Hollandsche schouwburg. Can I walk there from the pier.?Is there a tram from the pier that goes direct or would I have to transfer?

Finally, our ship sails at 6 so we have to be back on board by 5:30. What time should I leave the central city to get back by 5. Is there a place by the pier to get souveniers. We are going to the Anne Frank Huis between 2:30 and 3:30 and they say you can't take packages in there. Thanks

It is the Hollandsche schouwburg. Can I walk there from the pier.?Is there a tram from the pier that goes direct or would I have to transfer?

Finally, our ship sails at 6 so we have to be back on board by 5:30. What time should I leave the central city to get back by 5. Is there a place by the pier to get souveniers. We are going to the Anne Frank Huis between 2:30 and 3:30 and they say you can't take packages in there. Thanks

If you want to walk, my guess it will be around 30/40 minutes. Better take tram 25 from the cruiseterminal to Centraal Station and change there to tramnr 9 to Plantage Middenlaan. I guess you can be there within 20minutes. (Tram is a niceway to see the city..). On this link of the site it gives an idea what to see around the museum too.

http://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/site_en/informatie/contact.html

You can print that map and bring it with you.

From that area to An Frankhuis you can take tramnr. 14 to Marnixstraat and walk a few minutes.

More info about tickets on this site:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/ticketsandfares/index.html

You can consider to buy a daycard for public transport.

Inside the cruiseterminal you will find various souvenirstands on the days ships are in port. Also you will see souvenirshops in many places.

Distance from citycenter to cruiseterminal is just about 2 miles, so it is almost impossible to miss the ship....

Archived