13 Year Old Falls from Majesty

According to the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale), a 13 year old was rescued from the Majesty, after falling off a balcony. Of course the Majesty has no balconies. Perhaps someone else can post a link as I am technologically challenged.

Perhaps that is why the person fell. The person went outside expecting to find a balcony under his/her feet, there was none, and the law of gravity took over.

According to the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale), a 13 year old was rescued from the Majesty, after falling off a balcony. Of course the Majesty has no balconies. Perhaps someone else can post a link as I am technologically challenged.

Story here.....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-46cruiseshipfall,0,1776904.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Perhaps that is why the person fell. The person went outside expecting to find a balcony under his/her feet, there was none, and the law of gravity took over.

How could someone fall from a balcony:eek: when that ship doesn't have one:confused: Could anyone please enlighten me?

More and more reports of these kind of thing happening.

Although Majesty does not have cabin balcony's...could it be possible to have fallen within the ship?? Such as opening over Atrium? Not sure of layout on Majesty,but most have opening near Midship Elevators.

Doesn't say rescued from water.

Sad Sad

MIAMI BEACH – A Coast Guard crew evacuated an injured 13-year-old girl from a cruise liner to a Miami hospital after she fell five stories early Friday, a spokesman said.

In an e-mail news release, the Coast Guard said the unidentified girl suffered mild head trauma from the five-deck plunge aboard the 680-foot-long Majesty, which was returning to its home port in Charleston, S.C. The ship is owned by Miami-based Norwegian Cruise Lines.

A company spokeswoman, AnneMarie Mathews, said the child fell down an interior stairwell, and not over a balcony as was earlier reported.

The incident occurred around 6:50 a.m. on Friday about three miles off Miami Beach.

Sun Sentinel Story

You know here I was going to post that the ship designers must be doing something real well? good? for all these people to fall off the Balcony's and survive but you have to come along and spoil it with the fact that the kid fell down the stairs.....

Are they sticking with the five-story plunge part of the story? It's hard to imagine falling down five flights of stairs. Or is it possible that there's a stairwell that has an open middle where you can actually fall five stories unimpeded?

Are they sticking with the five-story plunge part of the story? It's hard to imagine falling down five flights of stairs. Or is it possible that there's a stairwell that has an open middle where you can actually fall five stories unimpeded?

I agree. I have never been on a ship where you could fall down more than one deck of stairs without getting up and walking. I don't know if the Majesty has an atrium. If it does, that is the only place where someone could fall five stories on a ship. I suspect however that the Majesty does not have an atrium. Thus, while I hope the girl is okay, or at least makes a full recovery, I am still curious to find out what really happened.

No, the Majesty does not have an atrium. I don't know if I can explain this but I will try. To get from one deck to the next, you go up about 10 steps, then get to a landing, turn around and go up 10 more to the next deck. There are no risers on the back of the each step. It is an open staircase. You can stand several floors up and look down to the first floor. My guess would be that the girl was sitting on the railing on the 8th deck and fell to the 3rd deck. Not a pretty thought.

No, the Majesty does not have an atrium. I don't know if I can explain this but I will try. To get from one deck to the next, you go up about 10 steps, then get to a landing, turn around and go up 10 more to the next deck. There are no risers on the back of the each step. It is an open staircase. You can stand several floors up and look down to the first floor. My guess would be that the girl was sitting on the railing on the 8th deck and fell to the 3rd deck. Not a pretty thought.

Thanks for the explanation. I've never been on the Majesty and didn't know that's how their staircases are designed.

Maybe she fell down the stairs on deck 5 not 5 decks of stairs. Minor trama would be more likely in this case.:rolleyes:

Maybe she fell down the stairs on deck 5 not 5 decks of stairs. Minor trama would be more likely in this case.:rolleyes:

This sounds more reasonable to me. Still, I know Shoreguy was not there, and is simply trying to make sense out of the facts. A 50 foot fall to a hard surface is going to cause some major injuries.

Again, I hope the girl is okay, but I would still like to know what really happened.

She must have been pushed from one floor to the other! I have been on the Majesty many times and that story sounds not very right! As above you can only fall 10 steps and then you are on a landing...so unless she turned around and was not happy with her injuries yet...stupid story!

If she would have fallen that far on a staircase...she would have not just this light injuries! Maybe she was on her way to the chocolate buffet, while her health fanatic parents cought her in the act and ...... !!!:D

The link I just read here said her condition was unknown. I hope and pray she does not have major damage or worst.

My daughter celebrated her 13th birthday in January on a cruise, this is really scary and a parents nightmare!

If anyone knows about her update, please post it. Thanks.

I agree. I have never been on a ship where you could fall down more than one deck of stairs without getting up and walking. I don't know if the Majesty has an atrium. If it does, that is the only place where someone could fall five stories on a ship. I suspect however that the Majesty does not have an atrium. Thus, while I hope the girl is okay, or at least makes a full recovery, I am still curious to find out what really happened.

The aft deck on the QM2 has a staircase that looks to go up several decks. I've never walked up it however.

Inside stairways go round and round, from platform to platform. Unless she hit the wall and bounced back 9 times, it's hard for me to visualize a five deck fall.

What I can visualize is falling off the Sports Deck down to the Promenade Deck, but that's only four decks, not the five decks in the news.

What are the odds you would have been hit by a falling object?

Odds of being struck by a meteorite:

1 in 10,000,000,000,000

Odds of seeing three albino deer at the same time:

1 in 79,000,000,000

Odds of having quintuplets:

1 in 85,000,000

Odds of winning the Big Game Jackpot:

1 in 76,000,000

Odds of freezing to death:

1 in 3,000,000

Odds of being killed falling out of bed or being killed by an animal:

1 in 2,000,000

Odds of being dealt a Royal Flush in poker:

1 in 650,000

Odds of being hit by a falling object:

1 in 374,000

Odds of being electrocuted:

1 in 350,000

Odds of having the same birthday as the next person you meet:

1 in 25,000

Odds of receiving a witness protection identity:

1 in 20,000

Odds of having twins:

1 in 90

All I can figure is...

Picture a staircase in an old building.

Sometimes they have an open column of space in between the staircases. So if you look down a person's hand if they are walking down with their right hand on the inside railing.

This column is maybe two or three feet wide on the Majesty as I can recall. Maybe she somehow fell down that. But how could she fall that far?

I wonder about the 6:50am time. Not many 13 yr olds are up that early in the morning running around a ship. Where were the parents?

I wonder if she was still roaming around the ship from the night before. I do see that many times were teens are allowed to run around the ship at all hours of the night!

I have been on the Majesty and as with many other cruise reported accidents, you have to be doing something you should not be doing to fall like that. (if it was down the small opening in the middle of the stairwell)...

I wonder about the 6:50am time. Not many 13 yr olds are up that early in the morning running around a ship. Where were the parents?

I wonder if she was still roaming around the ship from the night before. I do see that many times were teens are allowed to run around the ship at all hours of the night!

I have been on the Majesty and as with many other cruise reported accidents, you have to be doing something you should not be doing to fall like that. (if it was down the small opening in the middle of the stairwell)...

All I can say is we were all young and stupid once - I hope it works out well for her as it did for us.

Archived