13 Year Old Falls from Majesty

A story from 2 responsible parents with 2 smart, well behaved kids.

When our daughters were 10 and 13, we took them on their first cruise. They were in an inside directly across the hall from us. They knew to not leave the room without us and not to open the door for anyone but us. We had know reason to believe there would be any trouble.

The 3rd night of the cruise, we heard knocking at our door. There was our 10 year old, crying like crazy. We asked her what happened, it seems she must have been sleep walking, something she had NEVER done before, and found herself at the opposite end of the ship when she woke up. She somehow found her way back to our cabins. At the same time- our older daughter was calling our cabin because she woke up and realized her sister was missing.

TALK ABOUT SCARY!!! Those girls are now 20 and 23 and it still gives me chills when I think of the things that could have happened to her. After that night, my husband moved in with one girl, the other with me. I also put a chair in front of the door, just in case.

Let's not pass judgement on these parents or the girl without knowing all the facts.

A story from 2 responsible parents with 2 smart, well behaved kids.

When our daughters were 10 and 13, we took them on their first cruise. They were in an inside directly across the hall from us. They knew to not leave the room without us and not to open the door for anyone but us. We had know reason to believe there would be any trouble.

The 3rd night of the cruise, we heard knocking at our door. There was our 10 year old, crying like crazy. We asked her what happened, it seems she must have been sleep walking, something she had NEVER done before, and found herself at the opposite end of the ship when she woke up. She somehow found her way back to our cabins. At the same time- our older daughter was calling our cabin because she woke up and realized her sister was missing.

TALK ABOUT SCARY!!! Those girls are now 20 and 23 and it still gives me chills when I think of the things that could have happened to her. After that night, my husband moved in with one girl, the other with me. I also put a chair in front of the door, just in case.

Let's not pass judgement on these parents or the girl without knowing all the facts.

Thanks for sharing that story.

There are many variables that enter into any situation. It would be very easy for anyone hearing part of your story to assume that someone (parent or child) was neglegent in some way. However, when you hear your complete story, in my opinion, that is not the case. Sometimes bad things happen even when all reasonable attempts have been made to prevent them.

Regarding geting all the facts regatrding this recent trajedy, this probably won't happen. I wish the young victim and her parents well. I resist the urge to guess what might have happened. I do understand that most of here are discussing these accidents to try to understand why they happened so they can be prevented in the future.

Anytime you are away on vacation all reasonable steps should be taken by everyone to return home safely. The hazzards of any cruise, excursion, amusement ride etc should never be underestimated and some events are unavoidable.

This is the point. Just because a 13 year old gets injured at 6:30am does not mean the person was doing anything wrong. Also, I doubt that she feel 50 feet onto a hard surface. The original story had her falling off an non-existent balcony, so I am not going to believe everything until some confirmed facts are presented. At this time all we know is a 13 year was injured in a fall. Fall all we know she tripped and fell down some stairs. What we clear do NOT know is that she did anything wrong prior to her fall.

There are many variables that enter into any situation. It would be very easy for anyone hearing part of your story to assume that someone (parent or child) was neglegent in some way. However, when you hear your complete story, in my opinion, that is not the case. Sometimes bad things happen even when all reasonable attempts have been made to prevent them.

Don't worry, someone will post that this was the parents fault. In fact, I would not be surprised to find someone blaming the parents for the Kennedy shooting - both of them.

Sorry to hear of such an accident. But the one thing young cruser like to do is "HANG OUT IN AND ON THE STAIRS" run up and down and press the elevator buttons day and night- some kind of game! ! ! Where are their parents? What all there is to do, why hang out there? Not a safe place to be. Lets say a lot of prayers and hope all is well.

Sorry to hear of such an accident. But the one thing young cruser like to do is "HANG OUT IN AND ON THE STAIRS" run up and down and press the elevator buttons day and night- some kind of game! ! ! Where are their parents? What all there is to do, why hang out there? Not a safe place to be. Lets say a lot of prayers and hope all is well.

There is no information that this person was doing any of these things. Nor is there any information that the parents were not right there. Perhaps she just tripped. Do you have any information that she did anything wrong? If so, please share it.

?????

This comment was meant for the person who clarified it was indeed an NCL ship: I was referring to her comment. After my original comment about the ship might be RCI Majesty I read on. I guess you have to go back to page one, I know there have been serveral postings. NIta

I really don't think anyone is blaming anyone right now: kids and kids and we all did stupid things as we admit: parents normally keep a pretty close eye on them and yet, things happen. My contention with this whole thing is the story period. First it was a balcony and then a 5 level fall. That is what I am questioning. I hope we do get an update on her condition, hope we don't end up with another massive law suit and most of all pray she is ok. NMnita

I just got off the Majesty. The girl was running with a group of teenagers and decided to get ahead of the group by sliding down the railing. The boat lurched and she slipped of the rail into the space between the up and down stairs. Her head bounced off the railings as she fell. The crew told us she fell from the 8th floor to the 2nd bouncing off the hand rails as she fell. It's a miracle she survived. She split her head from forehead to the base of her neck.

I just got off the Majesty. The girl was running with a group of teenagers and decided to get ahead of the group by sliding down the railing. The boat lurched and she slipped of the rail into the space between the up and down stairs. Her head bounced off the railings as she fell. The crew told us she fell from the 8th floor to the 2nd bouncing off the hand rails as she fell. It's a miracle she survived. She split her head from forehead to the base of her neck.

:eek: When you say "running" with the group, do you mean hanging out with them? Were they out that late at night, or just up for the day and on their way to breakfast or someplace.

Horrible accident! :(

To cruizer2 I do not have any information- just an statement of what I have experienced while cruising. But Read what -BSkenes has to say. ! ! ! Very interesting.

Yes, it is nice to get some real information isn't it. The first information that came to us was that she fell of a non-existent balcony. Then someone else changed the cruise line. It is important not to form opinions until solid information is received. Then of course there are always three sides to every issue: 1) The plaintiff's side 2) The defendant's side 3) The truth

All I can say is we were all young and stupid once - I hope it works out well for her as it did for us.

You're right shoreguy, but all thats changed for me is I've gotten older. Someone gave me a birthday card once that said growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.;)

That is awful! Very sad. I hope she will be ok.

Oh my god! When you say she split her head, do you mean a skull fracture or laceration?

Kids will be kids. I imagined that it would be some sort of skylarking. Lets just hope she is OK.

I hope one day she'll be able to say to her grandkids "Did I ever tell you about the time......" and they'll say "Yes Grandma, only about a hundred times."

Oh my god! When you say she split her head, do you mean a skull fracture or laceration?

Kids will be kids. I imagined that it would be some sort of skylarking. Lets just hope she is OK.

I hope one day she'll be able to say to her grandkids "Did I ever tell you about the time......" and they'll say "Yes Grandma, only about a hundred times."

Yes, it is good to hear some first hand information.

I too hope this will end up being a story she can both survive and tell to her own children one day.

When we were on our January cruise I did notice how some young teens hung out and were on the ship alone in pairs and small groups. Fortunately for me and my nerves, our daughter isn't that sociable, besides she likes to sleep a lot and had to be encouraged at times to go to some of the "teen" activities.

I plan to show her this story to remind her that "bad" things can happen anytime and anywhere, when caution is not consistently taken.

I have been waiting for facts in this, instead of rediculous speculations that I read in another thread... (someone actually posted that maybe this girl was with a boy, and got caught, and, what? ran and fell?!?) :mad:

Anyway, as the mother of a 12 yr old, I just pray this girl is okay. Children do silly things without thinking it thru, (so do adults obviously from other "fallen" stories...) This story is so sad...

:) May be the kid needs a timeout,aint it time for the shister lawyer to file a lawsuit against N.C.L. I realize accidents happen but with children its usualy horseplay.Hope the kids all right but everyones got to blame some company for there lack of supervision and stupidity.Ive seen a lot of children out of control while the parents just sit there while on cruises!!!Remember your not their friend, take control .They got cameras all over and should see what realy happened,the last goof and girlie friend were doing the sceen from titanic and fell overboard.

At least we have some facts on the case, now if only we knew about her condition. I am surprised nothing has been on the radio, TV or in our papers about this. let's payer for two things: 1-she does make a full recovery and 2-we don't read about the lawyers getting involved.

NMNita

Yes, it is nice to get some real information isn't it. The first information that came to us was that she fell of a non-existent balcony. Then someone else changed the cruise line. It is important not to form opinions until solid information is received. Then of course there are always three sides to every issue: 1) The plaintiff's side 2) The defendant's side 3) The truth

Where did you even get the idea someone changed the cruiseline. I did ask if it could have been RCI and the Majesty of the Sea when the balcony incident came up, knowing NCL Majesty didn't have balconies. That is not changing the crusieline. I don't think anyone else changed the line either. BTW, even the solid information we have received is still reported from a crew member or members to a passenger. Even that isn't solid though we all beleive it. Nmnita

BTW, even the solid information we have received is still reported from a crew member or members to a passenger. Even that isn't solid though we all beleive it. Nmnita

I agree. I wouldn't call this new information firsthand either or declare it to be "the facts". It's probably better than the pure speculation that's been going on here, but I wouldn't label it the gospel truth. BSkenes was told by the crew that the girl fell from the 8th to the 2nd floor. That's a contradiction of the reports that it was a five-flight fall. What are we to believe?

Archived