13 Year Old Falls from Majesty

According to the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale), a 13 year old was rescued from the Majesty, after falling off a balcony. Of course the Majesty has no balconies. Perhaps someone else can post a link as I am technologically challenged.
Probably the Majesty of the Sea which is RCI. That is all RCI needs is another negative story. ok, now I have read the rest and realize it was NCLs Majesty. Not the balcony but 5 flights of stairs? This is why I keep repeating, coming from a family of media people I have learned not to beleive everything I hear or read. In fact I beleive about 1/2 of what I hear and read and not much more of what I see. NMnita

Having been on the Majesty two times, I can atest to the fact that there are staircases that one can look over the edge and see down a full five flgihts. However, the space is very narrow and one would be hard put to drop a coin straight down without hitting the side somewhere between the top and the bottom. The young girl must be very thin and have fallen just perfectly to fall to the bottom without breaking all manner of limbs bouncing off the railing all the way down. So I suspect thestory is still not complete. Also, one would have to actually try to fall down as the rails are planty high enoung that a simple trip or fall against them would never propel you over them and down the (as I stated) narrow shaft.

She must have been pushed from one floor to the other! I have been on the Majesty many times and that story sounds not very right! As above you can only fall 10 steps and then you are on a landing...so unless she turned around and was not happy with her injuries yet...stupid story!

If she would have fallen that far on a staircase...she would have not just this light injuries! Maybe she was on her way to the chocolate buffet, while her health fanatic parents cought her in the act and ...... !!!:D

Some of the stair cases are a sigle set of stairs which spiral around an open center. Yes it is possible to fall the 5 decks without hitting anything. Not a good thing to do. The odd thing is what was a 13 year old doing out at that hour in the morning. Also not a good thing. Parents should have a little more control than that!!!!

Some of the stair cases are a sigle set of stairs which spiral around an open center. Yes it is possible to fall the 5 decks without hitting anything. Not a good thing to do. The odd thing is what was a 13 year old doing out at that hour in the morning. Also not a good thing. Parents should have a little more control than that!!!!

You don't know where the parents where, so don't judge. The parents and their daughter may have ALL been on the way to breakfast when this happened. Just because there are obvious errors in the news article does not mean you have to make it worse by assuming that the parents were not acting in a responsible manner. The news article says nothing about the parents. The girl could have clipped her heal on the step as she was going down and ended up going head over heals after that. The parents could have been by her side in five seconds and been the one to call the ship's doctor for help.

What facts do you have to support your accusation against the parents? What is wrong with a 13 year old being up at 6:30am? If school starts for her at 8:00am I'll bet she is very used to being up at 6:30am. I used to volunteer at an elementary school where the kids were waiting outside the gate at 6:45am (the gate was opened at 6:45am). Why do you assume there is something wrong with getting up early? What facts do you have that anyone, the girl, her parents, or anyone else on the ship, was acting irresponsibly?

After going on the Majesty in Feb I remember the stairwells very well.

Floor 3-4 is a single width stairwell

Floor 4-5 to 6-7 are double stairs with the first flight going to the higher floor in the middle and the second on the outside of them. after the 7th floor it goes back to single width stairwell.

I remember looking down the area between the stairs and trying to figure out if someone could fit between them and fall down. ( I am a responder to medical emergencies for a job) When I looked down from the top you could only see from the top floor to the 5th floor on most of the stairwells and the single stairwells were offset, i.e 3-5 starboard 7-top port.

Then I did try to do the quarter drop floor to floor and it made it 2 floors :(

I think there is more to the story.

My thoughts are we'll hear more IF NCL is liable in this case because the media will jump all over it. If the kid was fooling around and fell due to doing something stupid like sliding down the rail, we won't hear any more.

You don't know where the parents where, so don't judge. The parents and their daughter may have ALL been on the way to breakfast when this happened. Just because there are obvious errors in the news article does not mean you have to make it worse by assuming that the parents were not acting in a responsible manner. The news article says nothing about the parents. The girl could have clipped her heal on the step as she was going down and ended up going head over heals after that. The parents could have been by her side in five seconds and been the one to call the ship's doctor for help.

What facts do you have to support your accusation against the parents? What is wrong with a 13 year old being up at 6:30am? If school starts for her at 8:00am I'll bet she is very used to being up at 6:30am. I used to volunteer at an elementary school where the kids were waiting outside the gate at 6:45am (the gate was opened at 6:45am). Why do you assume there is something wrong with getting up early? What facts do you have that anyone, the girl, her parents, or anyone else on the ship, was acting irresponsibly?

you aren't serious? There isn't much wrong with a 13 year being up that early, but most of the time she/he isn't going to get up and wander the ship, plus how many 13 years olds have you known that on vacation are up at 6;30? I don't know of one, even when camping!!! As for catching her heel, very unlikely. I have no idea what happened, no one does, but I also don't live a dream world. NMnita

My thoughts are we'll hear more IF NCL is liable in this case because the media will jump all over it. If the kid was fooling around and fell due to doing something stupid like sliding down the rail, we won't hear any more.

? do you really think you will hear the "truth" in either case. What you will hear is some lawyer(s) for both sides blaming each other.

The 13- yo will claim its all NCL fault for having stairs to begin with. NCL will claim that there was nothing wrong. Just like in the RC Smith case you won't know really what happened.

BTW the reason that you don't know the child's condition is that the parents have told the hospital no information is to be given out.

That is the first thing I thought of when I began to read this thread and the center opening of the stairs was described.

I would think that if these stairs were in fact really dangerous and could cause injury without horsing around, it would not be to a thirteen year old, but rather to a small and/or younger child in a slip-through.

In my opinion this girl must have been on or flipped to the otherside of the railing due to horseplay of some kind.

At first I pictured her alone walking somewhere, but whose to say that she was not with a pack of friends and showing off.

With that said, I agree that we all did stupid things when we were young, and in my case its a wonder I am still alive, so please know I am not passing judgement, I am only saying what I think might of happened.

I hope this girl makes a full recovery, and hope that I am wrong about the circumstances of her fall.

That is the first thing I thought of when I began to read this thread and the center opening of the stairs was described.

I would think that if these stairs were in fact really dangerous and could cause injury without horsing around, it would not be to a thirteen year old, but rather to a small and/or younger child in a slip-through.

In my opinion this girl must have been on or flipped to the otherside of the railing due to horseplay of some kind.

At first I pictured her alone walking somewhere, but whose to say that she was not with a pack of friends and showing off.

With that said, I agree that we all did stupid things when we were young, and in my case its a wonder I am still alive, so please know I am not passing judgement, I am only saying what I think might of happened.

I hope this girl makes a full recovery, and hope that I am wrong about the circumstances of her fall.

We did stupid things when we were kids? NO, I was an angel; sure I was, well my parents thought I was and I thought our oldest was. The other 2 I knew better. By the time the oldest was out of college and married I had figured out, Angel no, smart to keep it from me, yes. Like everyone, I too wonder how I survived from about 9 or 10 til I was maybe 40? LOL

you aren't serious? There isn't much wrong with a 13 year being up that early, but most of the time she/he isn't going to get up and wander the ship, plus how many 13 years olds have you known that on vacation are up at 6;30? I don't know of one, even when camping!!! As for catching her heel, very unlikely. I have no idea what happened, no one does, but I also don't live a dream world. NMnita

I am very serious. Who said the 13 year old was wandering the ship? As I said, the family could have been on its way to breakfast. I see that as more likely than believing the 13 year old had stayed up all night. Having vacationed with several 13 year olds, I know for a fact that some do get up early, even on vacation. And catching a heel is not that hard to do. I did it once - at home. Fortunately I was only three steps up from the landing and the wall prevented what could have been a lot worse had it happened closer to the top. And while I agree it is unlikely, so are sinking ships. Yet one just did. Nobody is going to write a news article about the 10,000,000 people who walked up and down the stair without catching a heel. However, if done at the top of the stairs, the resulting fall could be serious and therefore, that is the one you will read about.

Until we have more facts, all we know is that a 13 year old fell and was hurt. To assume any more is irresponsible. Just because someone gets hurt does not mean that they were doing something wrong.

I am very serious. Who said the 13 year old was wandering the ship? As I said, the family could have been on its way to breakfast. I see that as more likely than believing the 13 year old had stayed up all night. Having vacationed with several 13 year olds, I know for a fact that some do get up early, even on vacation. And catching a heel is not that hard to do. I did it once - at home. Fortunately I was only three steps up from the landing and the wall prevented what could have been a lot worse had it happened closer to the top. And while I agree it is unlikely, so are sinking ships. Yet one just did. Nobody is going to write a news article about the 10,000,000 people who walked up and down the stair without catching a heel. However, if done at the top of the stairs, the resulting fall could be serious and therefore, that is the one you will read about.

Until we have more facts, all we know is that a 13 year old fell and was hurt. To assume any more is irresponsible. Just because someone gets hurt does not mean that they were doing something wrong.

I don't believe anyone is saying she was wandering the ship all night and many of us have fallen by catching our heels, but we are talking 5 flights of stairs, you have read what those who have cruised the Majesty have to say about the likelihood of this happening and as for 13 year olds being up at 6:30, with parents, that is a possibility but having raised several kids including foster ones, vacationing with grandkids, etc I know it would be rare for one to be up that early. We may not ever hear the entire story, but I am one that will continue to beleive there is a missing link to this story. NMNita

Probably the Majesty of the Sea which is RCI. That is all RCI needs is another negative story. ok, now I have read the rest and realize it was NCLs Majesty. Not the balcony but 5 flights of stairs? This is why I keep repeating, coming from a family of media people I have learned not to beleive everything I hear or read. In fact I beleive about 1/2 of what I hear and read and not much more of what I see. NMnita

it was not a RCCL ship.. as a loyal RCL cruiser, we already have enough stuff in the spotlight... just wanted to make it clear that in THIS case is was not RCCL. :)

the only "hazardous" stairwell that i know of is port side from the buffet/pool deck down to the 9th ? deck into the pasta restaurant.. perhaps it was on a crew stairwell we never see or use..

though I have never sailed on a Norweigein ship, I was also wondering if she was in a crew member area that could have been set up in a manner to validate the fall...:confused:

though I have never sailed on a Norweigein ship, I was also wondering if she was in a crew member area that could have been set up in a manner to validate the fall...:confused:

I can assure you there are no crew stair areas on the majesty where you can fall 5 stories.

it was not a RCCL ship.. as a loyal RCL cruiser, we already have enough stuff in the spotlight... just wanted to make it clear that in THIS case is was not RCCL. :)

If you had read my next posting you would know I went back and corrected this. I now know and I agree RCI has had their share of less than positive publicity lately. some not deserved. NMNita

Archived