Best month to do the Danube?

laminar

I am thinking of booking Uniworld(Enchanting danube) but i am usure what date to pick. Any body know when is the rainy season there?? I guess that if it rains a lot , the rivers will be unsuitabel for the ships.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last year during the spring the river was pretty high, also again in August after heavy rains. We went in mid October and the weather was perfect. A light jacket was needed in the a.m. We were able to sit on the sun deck every afternoon. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses.

How many days pre in Budapest should be enough to see the city? I am planning on flying to Prague first, then take a train or flight to Budapest before the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

:) I just did the Enchanting Danube April 6 Budapest to Passau. The weather was fabulous. Warm, not too hot. The river was just the right height--not too low not too high. All in all it was a fabulous trip.

laminar,

There is no good or bad month for a river cruise and noone can predict the weather for your specific cruise.

We´ve been on a Danube river cruise last year end of March/early April and we encountered high water because of heavy rains and a cold and snowy winter. This year we´re in the lower 80ies right now. We didn´t have any major rainfalls for more than 7 months. In fact we do have a draught over here and officials are asking to save water. Rivers are quite low now but navigation is not yet affected.

Sure it is no fun to make a bus trip instead of a river cruise especially with the money you paid for it including the flights. I completely understand you. I´ve experienced the same with cruises in the US and sure there was some disappointment. But noone is responsible for the weather conditions and this is part of the fun thing!

steamboats

• 7 months later...

Just booked a Danube cruise for the second week of November next year. The main reason i did this date is because the price CHANGES quite a bit just from lat OCt to early Nov.

Hope is not to cold next year and we have a mild winter. This year i think it was very crude. Is that true that you had ice in Viena on early Nov?

Anybody sailed this past Nov during the first two weeks?

mitchdew,

Very difficult to predict what weather we'll have next November, this year we had a lot of snow at the beginning of Nov, in and around Vienna get hard it. Currently we have rain and 48F.

I wouldn't worry - just enjoy the cruise.

Ask next year, a couple of weeks before you leave and wE'll give you a more accurate update.

Ron

Archived