A very unfunny prank aboard Carnival

npeters

Holy cow! Question: Why did it take the captain 40 minutes to show up???

There's joking ... and there's crossing the line. This certainly is the latter. But the more "party hearty" your demographic base, the more likelihood something like this is bound to happen.

That is one sick person and I hope they catch whoever did it.

Oh HAL ships all announcements are made from the Bridge and to get into the Bridge you must now punch in a Security code. There is always someone there on Duty, so doubt this could happen on HAL.

Disembarkation is hard enough, but to get a prank "Abandon Ship" would just "finish" that cruise for me. That kinda behavior can generally be attributed to very drunk people, the likes of which I have seen board in many Carribean Ports onto the Carnival ships. The first time I watched the behavior of the drunk passengers coming back to Port to a Carnival "Fun" Ship, was the day I knew that Line wasn't for me.:cool:

Carnival certainly shouldn't be suprised by this type of classless passenger. They have the "party boat", don't you know. While the officers compain about the behavior, the accountants love and foster those huge bar tabs.

I resent your giving a bad name to drunk people. I have often imbibed a little too much, but have never even thought of doing something like that. Also it sounds like this "prank" required quite a bit of knowledge and planning, not characteristics of the typical drunk.

Let's not give drunks a bad name.

Bdmarine-

Sorry I wish I could laugh with you about "let's not give drunks a bad name". Unfortunately though I am the adult child of 2 alcoholics, who are now deceased because of their disease.:(

Because of my childhood, I am more aware than most about a "drunks" types of behavior. My only point is I prefer a quieter atmosphere, and would never sail on a party boat like that.

Sorry if I am unable to find the humor in the issue, too many war scars for that one.:cool:

I find it interesting that so much bad behavior is assumed to be the result of drinking too much alcohol..surely there are drunken idiots, but there are also mean, heartless obnoxious people who do things like that for fun. You don't need to be drunk to be an a**, we all know that...

That kinda behavior can generally be attributed to very drunk people, the likes of which I have seen board in many Carribean Ports onto the Carnival ships.
And not just board, but disembark at port. In Cozumel earlier this year we were berthed next to a Carny ship and it was obvious by their behaviors that they were already well on their way to being four sheets to the wind. You and I think alike, Localady. That type of atmosphere isn't for me.

[[disclaimer -- I know not every Carnival passenger is boorish and behaves badly. But simple observation makes a striking contrast to HAL's typical passenger.]]

In fact, I think I had a great time on my Carnival cruise last year. At least that's what they told me when I came to on disembarkation day.

Sheesh people, could we stereotype a little more. The average demographic of that cruise had to be couples in their 30s and 40s, traveling with kids.

It sounds like a teenager to me, not a drunk adult. I feel like an adult would recognize the line between being funny and being the one to shout fire in a crowded theatre or talk about hijacking in line at the airport.

I certainly could be wrong, but my guess is someone about 14/15.

I'm betting that door now has a lock on it that automatically secures the door when it is closed. I'm also betting the last person in that room who left the door unlocked is checking the want ads for a new job somewhere besides on a Carnival ship.

I totally agree that this was probably a "young" person who did this on a dare from a peer. I think something this serious was not done by an adult, drunk or otherwise. As far as "drunks" on board Carnival... I have sailed Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, and soon HAL...the most obonoxious, rude people were some folks on the Constellation and they were far from teenagehood. I honestly think that truly is stereotyping. Just because they call it the party boat doesn't mean every passenger would get too drunk to think about their actions by ordering "abandon ship". That act is too serious for a thinking person to commit. Yep...when someone admits to their friends back home about doing this... I'd guess high school sophomore or sophomoric college student.

It sounds like a teenager to me, not a drunk adult. I feel like an adult would recognize the line between being funny and being the one to shout fire in a crowded theatre or talk about hijacking in line at the airport.

I certainly could be wrong, but my guess is someone about 14/15.

I also think this more likely was a "juvenile" prank than a drunken prank. Now, there are people who are mentally juvenile even though they are supposed to be "mature" based on age.....

Localady,

If you love snorkeling, you need to try scuba. Snorkeling in Grand Cayman 14 years ago is what convinced me to learn to scuba dive.:cool:

Orcrone-

I was certified and loved scuba before I had a series of heart attacks and surgery about 5 years ago. Fortunately I am alive:) and unfortunately, my pulmonary system could can't handle scuba diving anymore. But I snorkel as often as I can, and am hoping for some awesome snorkeling on our next 2 Carribean cruises.:cool:

I have to believe that there is some kind of security on the Carnival Miracle. Maybe there will be a video of the idiot that did this. Too bad he or she wasn't caught ( or was it they). I would hate to think that someone got a way with such a terrible act of stupidity and malice.

Orcrone-

I was certified and loved scuba before I had a series of heart attacks and surgery about 5 years ago. Fortunately I am alive:) and unfortunately, my pulmonary system could can't handle scuba diving anymore. But I snorkel as often as I can, and am hoping for some awesome snorkeling on our next 2 Carribean cruises.:cool:

Wow!! But I guess it sort of puts things in perspective, huh? I have to say that my DH is not into cruising, and he says it's what we'll do when we can't dive anymore. But we're 26, so that will be a while( I hope). I know, I've tried to change his mind but it's hard to argue with a week in a hotel overlooking the Caribbean in Belize instead :D :cool:

In fact, I think I had a great time on my Carnival cruise last year. At least that's what they told me when I came to on disembarkation day.

Sheesh people, could we stereotype a little more. The average demographic of that cruise had to be couples in their 30s and 40s, traveling with kids.

The average age of a Carnival guest is 47, according to one of their sales directors, as of last fall.

Localady,

If you love snorkeling, you need to try scuba. Snorkeling in Grand Cayman 14 years ago is what convinced me to learn to scuba dive.:cool:

Orcrone-

Snorkeling is the next best thing to scuba. I'm just glad that you're still here to enjoy it!!:)

Archived