Jersey City Courtyard to Manhattan

Lizard

We will be staying at the Jersey City Courtyard the night before our cruise in June. I was wondering if it would be possible to catch the Path train to Manhattan and take a double decker bus tour prior to our cruise (the day of)? Does the Path train have a stop that is near any of the start points for the tour. I know we would pretty much just have to look as we go by but we would like to get off in Chinatown (kids want to shop a little for purses and such) or in Little Italy for lunch. Would this be possible or is it just a crazy idea? I would really appreciate any details on how to do this, or to be told the truth about what a bad idea it is. Thanks in advance!

You can take the Path train from Jersey City to Manhattan. As opposed to taking the double decker bus tour, just walk around Chinatown and Little Italy. You can spend hours there. Chinatown and Little Italy are right next to each other (actually pretty much on top of each other). Mulberry Street is closed off to traffic in the summers (not sure if that starts in June or July). You can then hop back on the Path train to pick up your stuff in Jersey City and get to your ship. Remember, most ships you can embark much earlier than the departing time.

That sounds like that might be a better idea. My husband would still like to see a little of the city as we have never been there. Do you think the Path train would take us as far as Times Square, which is where I think the bus tour begins?

How long does it take to take the Path train from Jersey City to Manahattan?

From Jersey City (Exchange Place) to lower Manhattan is literally just a few minutes.

The PATH train only goes as far north as 34th street, you'd have to switch to the subway there to go to Times Square.

From Jersey City (Exchange Place) to lower Manhattan is literally just a few minutes.

The PATH train only goes as far north as 34th street, you'd have to switch to the subway there to go to Times Square.

Thanks! I travel frequently to NY and have been considering staying outside of Manhattan to save some $$.

Thanks! I travel frequently to NY and have been considering staying outside of Manhattan to save some $$.

lemondrop, I've spent a lot of time staying and working in Manhattan and know the area very well.

It really isn't worth the money you save to stay outside Manhattan if everything you want to do is in Manhattan.

Many times the inconvenience of the commute and the money you spend to do this eat up any savings.

What is your budget and your dates and I can help you with accommodations.

lemondrop, I've spent a lot of time staying and working in Manhattan and know the area very well.

It really isn't worth the money you save to stay outside Manhattan if everything you want to do is in Manhattan.

Many times the inconvenience of the commute and the money you spend to do this eat up any savings.

What is your budget and your dates and I can help you with accommodations.

I don't have a trip planned at the moment. I actually just got back in March from a week stay. But thought staying right outside might be an option. Thanks!!!

I don't have a trip planned at the moment. I actually just got back in March from a week stay. But thought staying right outside might be an option. Thanks!!!

Gotcha! BTW, congrats on your engagement! (I read it in another post)

Thank you everyone for all of the great info!

Margincall- Could you please give me a little more info on the ferry? Is there a web site that I could check out that might give me times and prices? I would really appreciate it. We have such a short time that I really need to be organized!

I live in Jersey City and used to take the PATH every day. Let me know if you have any questions, I might be able to help too.

Edited to add: You might want to check out this thread/post too, I posted some info there that might be helpful to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532003

From the World Trade Center PATH station, it's a nice walk to Chinatown/Little Italy or a very cheap cab ride. (About $5.)

Also, to answer an earlier question, the PATH from Exchange Place (Jersey City, near your hotel) to World Trade Center (downtown Manhattan) is about 6 minutes.

Be prepared, the PATH train there does come right into World Trade Center (tourists call it Ground Zero). Sometimes tourists seem kind of surprised, and if you're into the idea of taking pictures of it, you would want to have your camera ready.

Budget Queen-Thanks for the link!

moknits- Thanks for the offer. My original plan was to take the PATH to Manhattan and take the shortest double decker bus tour prior to getting on our ship in the afternoon. Now it seems that the PATH will not take us close enough to Times Square, where we need to turn in our tickets and start the tour. What would you suggest? Would the ferry be a better idea? We are on a bit of a budget so the cost and speed of the PATH system appeals to me. Is Times Square a walkable distance from the 33rd st. station? I would appreciate any advice.

I would totally consider it walkable, but working in NY you get used to walking a lot. In truth, it's about 9 blocks. Short blocks, not long blocks. When my mother comes to visit, she can't get over how much walking we do. But it is generally the easiest, cheapest way to get around (and see the city while you're doing it.) I think it's do-able.

And if the weather is bad or you get too tired, you hail a cab. I don't know how big your group is, but you can fit 4 people in a regular cab, or you can sometimes get a minivan cab if you're willing to wait a little longer for it.

I've never tried the double decker bus tours. I know my mother and I looked into the prices once when she visited and it was around $40 per person, for one of the smaller "loops." I think it's kind of expensive, but I guess it depends on what all you want to see and how comfortable you feel exploring on your own.

If you really just want to see Little Italy and Chinatown, it's pretty close to the World Trade Center.

Let me know, if you know what you want to do I might be able to give you an idea of how much it will cost/how hard it will be to do it on your own.

But, you figure, if there's 4 people in your party, and the tour is going to cost $40 each, that's $160. Unless you're really going to be travelling all over all day long, you could probably use a cab all day and spend less than that. (What you'd be missing is the tour guide aspect.)

Let me know what you think, if you have questions, I'm happy to help.

I would do Chinatown and Little Italy and then do Times Square only if time permits. Times Square is DEFINITELY walking distance from the 33rd Street Path Train station. As someone who lives here, Chinatown, Little Italy and downtown are more exciting areas than Times Square.

That is great advice. I think that we will be able to take the PATH and skip the double decker bus tour. I hadn't really thought about the fact that it would be $160 for the four of us and that would pay for quite a bit of cab time if we need one. I think we will just do Chinatown, Little Italy, and Times Square or Cental Park on our own. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Again. Everyone has been so nice and helpful.

Ok, here are my Chinatown suggestions:

Peking Duck House, 28 Mott Street http://www.pekingduckhousenyc.com/ - I've worked in Chinatown and tried them all. This is my favorite. Everything I've had there is so delicious. I'm not always an adventurous eater (I'd rather stick with what I know is good), but I know I just can't go wrong with anything there. Also, the portions are huge, so you can split a few entrees and try everything. (You can definitely share 3 entrees between 5 friends, for example, if you want to save money.)

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, 65 Bayard Street, Bayard Street is located one block south of Canal Street. The Two Cross streets are Elizabeth St. and Mott St. http://www.chinatownicecreamfactory.com/ Look for the big yellow banner with green dragon eating ice cream. They have all sorts of flavors you won't find anywhere else. (Avocado, Wasabi), plus all of your reliable favorites.

There are a few Little Italy restaurants I like, but I don't have one clear favorite. Maybe another poster will have a favorite to share, but if not, you can always stroll down Mulberry Street and you'll find that (just like in Venice, actually) the restaurants all have their menus out on the sidewalks and many have someone out on the sidewalk to beckon you in.

There's a bakery, on the right side of the street (that'd be the North side) as you turn down Mulberry, maybe on the first block, that has very good canolis.

Times Square doesn't hold much appeal for me, but I see a lot of tourists there so it must appeal to them. There's a big Sephora there, that's worth seeing. (Not sure where you're from, but if you don't know what Sephora is, it's the Best Buy of make-up and beauty supplies.) And a big Toys R Us (complete with a ferris wheel) for the kids. :D (Let your husband take the kids there while you shop at Sephora!)

Another place that tourists seem to enjoy is South Street Seaport (we always take visitors when they come), and that's pretty close to Little Italy/Chinatown. There's shopping and usually some outdoor entertainment.

http://www.southstreetseaport.com

And, finally, I don't know how much time you have in NY, but our #1 thing to do (and to take visitors to), is... of course... Yankee Stadium! It is the ultimate NY experience, and if you have any baseball fans in your family, it's like a mecca. You can't beat a beautiful day at the stadium.

So, that's my two cents. Everyone will have their own "must see"s and "must eat"s. Let me know if you have any questions!

Archived