Oosterdam 5/19/07 help!

HALNEWBY

This is my first post, and I would like to commend everybody on this board. I am 30 years old and so is my wife. First time on a cruise, ever. Going to alaska for the first time. Lots of people have told me I am too young to go to alaska, but I wanted to go anyway. I am sure I will have a blast. Not a party type of guy, just wanna experience our great God's creation. Booked a normal blank.gif Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom. Don't know if this is the correct forum to ask, but here I go. Interested in doing the helicopter and dog sledding tour in Juneau. Also interested in doing whale watching. So many choices. Any one who has done this have any input? Any good advice to this first time cruiser?

Well good for you and you are not too young to sail in Alaska.

You may get lucky and hear back from some who have done these tours but I am thinking you may also want to post your question to the Cruise Critic Ports of Call Message Board, under Alaska. You can also do a search using key words on that board. Regardless of cruise line, most of the shore excursions are similar ,so when posting on that board, the ship name/ cruise line has no significance.

Thanks for the prompt response!! wow this board is great...I will try what u mentioned, hope I do get lucky. Booked a VH guaranteed am I doomed?

It's hard to be doomed in a balcony cabin in Alaska. And who knows, the Upgrade Fairy may like that you are newby and want to convert you for life.

Please come back after your cruise and tell us your impressions.

Our first time to Alaska was in May 2005 on the Oosterdam and to be truthful it was that cruise and the Oosterdam that sealed it with us as to what cruiseline we were going to be faithful to. Up to that point we had been on RCCL and HAL's Zuiderdam so it was a toss up. We had actually thought about returning to RCCL for Alaska. We ended up choosing the Oosterdam and have been so glad we did.:)

Feel free to ask any questions because many of us have done this same cruise before or if you want feel free to email me and I can answer questions for you if not I know I can get the answer.

I will also say you will not feel too young. I have found that Alaska tends to draw a lot more first time cruisers so there will be many just like you and with all ages represented.

Hello,

Extremely nice of you to offer your wisdom!! I have many doubts and questions since this is my first cruise ever!!! and my first time in alaska. My wife is totally depending on me for this trip and I really don't want to dissapoint. I feel I already made a mistake by booking VH guarranteed. I am completely clueless of what deck is better or what room? A little scared of great crowds of people and having to do lines to get some food? Shore excursions that we are interested in booking:

Sitka: 4x4 wilderness adventure (hope to see some bears?)

Ketchikan: rainforest canopy tour

Juneau: Whale watching (kayak?)

Mendelhall Glacier helicopter tour with either dog sledding (wife's pick) or with trekking (my pick)

Victoria: no clue?

Any advice on any of these tours or cruise pearls u would like to share?

Thank you very much

Hi HALNEWBY,

Welcome to the HAL board. We were on the Westerdam to Alaska last September. It is bigger than the other HAL ships we've been on (I have arthritis in my knees) but we had a great time. There have been so many great reviews of the Oosterdam and it is a favorite for many people.

There are not long lines on HAL ships. Maybe a few traffic jams like trying to get to dinner while going through the photo shop area (find another route). The Lido is busy on day of boarding but if you get there before 12:30 and after 1:30 it should be fine. There are food stations and not just a jammed cafeteria line. There are always places to sit either inside the restaurant or outside around the forward Lido pool. You may eat breakfast or lunch in the dining room(open seating for breakfast and lunch), no waiting in lines, and you'll be served table side. Room service for breakfast can be wonderful on a lazy sea day or for a quick one on a port day. Menus are in your cabin, or you can just call to order.

Look at the deck plans and plan routes from your room to public areas before you go. At boarding you'll be given a deck plan map, and there is a tour of the public areas on boarding day. Even # cabins are portside (left) and odd #'s are starboard (right). If you orient yourself early on you'll have fewer episodes of getting lost. Hey getting lost is part of the fun.

Don't worry, we've all made our own silly mistakes but we laugh them off.

We liked the triple shore excursion in Juneau, Mendenhall glacier, Whale watching by boat (they hand out binoculars for your use), and the salmon bake which includes ribs and chicken among other wonder choices. It was worth every penny.

Go and have fun, a first cruise to Alaska is a wonderful way to go.

GN

You are never too young or too old to visit Alaska. It is for everyone.

We have been to Alaska several times. Did Captain Larry's whale watching in Juneau last year -- fantastic!!

Also took the Blue Bus ($6 per person each way) out to Mendenhal Glacier. Going on your own you are not rushed.

Welcome to CC.

You are never too young or too old to visit Alaska. It is for everyone.

We have been to Alaska several times. Did Captain Larry's whale watching in Juneau last year -- fantastic!!

Also took the Blue Bus ($6 per person each way) out to Mendenhal Glacier. Going on your own you are not rushed.

Welcome to CC.

That Blue Bus (6$) tour sounds great comparing to the 509$ helicopter tour HAL offers through their website. I really want to the glacier and the whale watching at Juneau since from what I have read it is the best place to do it!!! So many choices and companies that do it, overwhelmed...

We took our first HAL cruise last month on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera) and promptly booked a sail-up cruise later this month to Victoria where she will get all spruced up for your Alaska cruise!

We booked a VH guarantee also for our first trip. All the balcony rooms are essentially the same, but I learned that many of the lower cost catagories have steel balconies instead of plexiglass, and are on a lower deck than others. We were happily upgraded to a VB and loved our room. We were impressed how quiet our room was...we never heard anybody or anything. We enjoyed every minute of our cruise, and hope to take the Alaska trip in 08.

As far as the number of 30 somethings on your cruise, I can't say. I was impressed though on our cruise with the age diversity onboard. There was a good mix of all ages. Probably the age group least represented was the college age group. When we docked next to the Carnival ship in Puerto Vallarta I discovered that that's where they all are!!

Have a great trip!

We took our first HAL cruise last month on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera) and promptly booked a sail-up cruise later this month to Victoria where she will get all spruced up for your Alaska cruise!

We booked a VH guarantee also for our first trip. All the balcony rooms are essentially the same, but I learned that many of the lower cost catagories have steel balconies instead of plexiglass, and are on a lower deck than others. We were happily upgraded to a VB and loved our room. We were impressed how quiet our room was...we never heard anybody or anything. We enjoyed every minute of our cruise, and hope to take the Alaska trip in 08.

As far as the number of 30 somethings on your cruise, I can't say. I was impressed though on our cruise with the age diversity onboard. There was a good mix of all ages. Probably the age group least represented was the college age group. When we docked next to the Carnival ship in Puerto Vallarta I discovered that that's where they all are!!

Have a great trip!

Thank you for your comfort, I am already praying to the upgrade fairy gods to see if they have some pity on me. Don't want to get my hopes up that I booked a balcony VH and then find steel bars in my balcony and get stuck with a bad room!!!

I feel I already made a mistake by booking VH guarranteed. I am completely clueless of what deck is better or what room? A little scared of great crowds of people and having to do lines to get some food? Shore excursions that we are interested in booking:

Sitka: 4x4 wilderness adventure (hope to see some bears?)

Ketchikan: rainforest canopy tour

Juneau: Whale watching (kayak?)

Mendelhall Glacier helicopter tour with either dog sledding (wife's pick) or with trekking (my pick)

Victoria: no clue?

Any advice on any of these tours or cruise pearls u would like to share?

Thank you very much

You are never too young (or too old) to visit Alaska! I think you'll have a great time. It's beautiful up there and a place I wish everyone could experience for themselves. We've been twice and I'd happily go every year. It's great that you've got a balcony. It's really nice having a little private space when you're in your robe first thing in the morning or if there are crowds on deck. You'll probably be happy with what you booked. Our first cruise to Alaska we only had a window, but we were still thrilled. We've also had a regular veranda cabin and an SS (in the Caribbean). The SS is bigger and nicer, but we had an aft VA (or V-something), so had an over-sized balcony. We figured a bigger veranda was better for Alaska and we'd do it again. We'd still take a bigger cabin with covered veranda for a warmer cruise, though. It's personal tastes and climate tolerance, I guess. It also depends on how much private space you like, inside and out, how much you actually use your cabin, and what you think is a reasonable fare. Some people only book insides. Some only book suites. You'll figure it out once you get aboard. You have to know beforehand which decks you'll like, but you can't figure it out for sure until you're onboard, so it's Catch-22. We like to be high and aft, so that there's more motion, but others love to be mid-ship in case the seas are rough. And, some locations are closer to the dining room, etc. It's hard to predict that, but it might be helpful to study the deck plans - and when you get your cabin number, you can plot your course from there.

In Juneau - We did the Four Glacier By Helicopter & Dog Sled Adventure (according to th 2006 shorex book). It was excellent. I recommend that one if it is in the running for ya'll. As others have said, you can visit Mendenhall on your own inexpensively. We've also done whale watching on a regular boat, not by kayak, in Juneau. If you like kayaking, go for it!

In Sitka - we went whale watching by boat and walked up to the Raptor Center - so we're not much help. The likelihood of seeing bears is increased certain times of year, but then again they're bears and will come and go as they choose. The 4x4 adventure could be great for ya'll. As recommended, I'd look around on the Alaska section at Ports-of-Call. There may be tips about 4wd adventures and/or vendors and/or bears.

In Ketchikan - we did Deluxe Misty Fjords by Floatplane; most people really like this so it is highly recommended. We're glad we did it, but that's about it. If we had another floatplane trip, it would be at the right time of year to see bear (seasonal flights from Ketchikan) or up to Taku lodge for the salmon bake (which is a Juneau option) instead of just the flight and water landing. <<I have read that the Taku Lodge flightseeing trip is one where people regularly see bear, but you can read more about that at the AK section. It is on our must-do list for next time.>>

In Victoria - Ate off-ship at a pub, then visited another and did some shopping. Our stop was pretty brief, so we didn't do any of the excursions. We were afraid there wouldn't be enough light to see the gardens and other excursions might be rushed. In the end, it was a brisk, cool night and we were so tired that walking around, eating, drinking and shopping were enough. Some people on our cruise did make it to Butchart Gardens and had a very nice time. They took beautiful photos.

Good luck and have fun!

I am also a first timer for both HAL and Alaska, we are on the sailing the week before yours with a large group of 50 people. We have planned a lot of excursions so far and one of them is the glacier dog sled trip(can't wait). Below is a link for a great web site to book your tours out side from the cruise line and save a lot. The cruise line was $509 while shoretrips was about $90 less for the exact same thing, :D Family of 4 thats about $360 not bad, check em out!

My DH and I are on the same cruise as you dis-embark, as we leave on 5/26.

This is also our first time on HAL and first time to Alaska.

You may want to check out the roll call board for HAL and click on Oosterdam. I think there are several of you conversing on the same cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful time, as I am sure you will! :)

Cheers! )

I am also a first timer for both HAL and Alaska, we are on the sailing the week before yours with a large group of 50 people. We have planned a lot of excursions so far and one of them is the glacier dog sled trip(can't wait). Below is a link for a great web site to book your tours out side from the cruise line and save a lot. The cruise line was $509 while shoretrips was about $90 less for the exact same thing, :D Family of 4 thats about $360 not bad, check em out!

Checked Out the website good prices!!! Thanks to everyone for all the comfort. Alaska transends all ages and groups. My wife and I are pretty sociable, so I think that we won't be bothered by the diverse age range. Thanks to all for all the help, any other advice for a first time cruiser would be appreciated!!!

HALNEWBY, I emailed you back earlier today, hopefully you got my email. I am sure that in the next couple of weeks before you cruise you will find lots of information on CC. This may be your first cruise but I got bets it will not be your last. :)

I have to wonder if the people that are telling you that you are too old to sail Alaska have even been??? :rolleyes:

You are going to love this cruise. I also booked a VH guarantee and I almost do that. But, the price was too good to pass up and it really doesn't matter where your cabin is - as long as you can step outside and enjoy the scenery :D

I'm on the same sailing as Island Lady and it's my first time on HAL too. Last year I sailed on Princess and that was an excellent trip too!

I would recommend whale watching in Juneau and a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and kayaking or flight seeing in Ketchikan. I haven't been to Sitka yet but there are lots of options. Check out the excursions on HAL's website and if you find something that interests you - go for it. Some of the excursions can be booked directly and you can save $$$.

Be sure and visit the Alaska board to get all your questions answered! Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Have a great cruise :D

Please go to the new thread OOsterdan we were on the ship 3/31-4/7 and were not happy. We did Alaska 3years ago on Celebrity and loved it We took the helicopter and it was amazing. :)

I have to wonder if the people that are telling you that you are too old to sail Alaska have even been??? :rolleyes:

You are going to love this cruise. I also booked a VH guarantee and I almost do that. But, the price was too good to pass up and it really doesn't matter where your cabin is - as long as you can step outside and enjoy the scenery :D

I'm on the same sailing as Island Lady and it's my first time on HAL too. Last year I sailed on Princess and that was an excellent trip too!

I would recommend whale watching in Juneau and a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and kayaking or flight seeing in Ketchikan. I haven't been to Sitka yet but there are lots of options. Check out the excursions on HAL's website and if you find something that interests you - go for it. Some of the excursions can be booked directly and you can save $$$.

Be sure and visit the Alaska board to get all your questions answered! Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Have a great cruise :D

Hi Linda! :)

That was nice! Those links are always helpful!

Cheers! :)

Booked a VH guaranteed am I doomed?
Since there's only four VH on the ship, you stand a good chance of being upgraded. Yes, somebody will end up with those VH's, but it could well be someone moved up from an OV.

Since there's only four VH on the ship, you stand a good chance of being upgraded. Yes, somebody will end up with those VH's, but it could well be someone moved up from an OV.

Probably this question has been asked alot, If I don't get blessed with the visit from the upgrade fairy, is there any difference in my chances if I get to port early on embarkation day?

SCRUMPY:

What tour company did u use for the helicopter adventure in juneau?

Thanks to everyone I feel I am getting a crash course in cruising!!!

This is my first post, and I would like to commend everybody on this board. I am 30 years old and so is my wife. First time on a cruise, ever. Going to alaska for the first time. Lots of people have told me I am too young to go to alaska, but I wanted to go anyway. I am sure I will have a blast. Not a party type of guy, just wanna experience our great God's creation. Booked a normal blank.gif Deluxe Verandah Outside Stateroom. Don't know if this is the correct forum to ask, but here I go. Interested in doing the helicopter and dog sledding tour in Juneau. Also interested in doing whale watching. So many choices. Any one who has done this have any input? Any good advice to this first time cruiser?

We have been on two (2) Alaska cruises. We are in our 60's and enjoyed the beauty of Alaska and its wonderful ports. We have taken the "pontoon" single engine plane tour into remote areas, the glasier trips etc and enjoyed them all. At your young ages I would say "go for it" - the dog sledding, helicopter tour etc....it is a chance of a lifetime to see and do activities that are more adventureous. Now is the time. I will have to admit that the Alaska cruises have a prepondence of older people - but then again so do so many cruises now-a-days. We retired cruisers have the time etc. So have a wonderful trip and take plenty of pictures (and $$$$$)

My mother and I are also sailing on the 5/19/07 Oosterdam cruise, with the VH verandah guarantee as well. My first cruise, her second - but in this case we're old enough to be your grandmother and Mom , respectively. : ) Glad to know that younger cruisers will be part of the mix after reading some comments in other posts and on other sites. I've wanted to cruise for at least the past 20 years. I got to choose the trip and the ship and because of the last minute discounts opted for the Oosterdam vs the Amsterdam. I hope this was the right move. I'm also concerned about cabin assignment, particularly since the VH desiganted cabins are at the very front. Between the 2 of us, I'm the one more likely to have problems walking 2 blocks to dinner every evening. What are the odds of a last-minute first time cruiser being upgraded - any ideas? I'm also concerned about dinner seatings. When I booked the earlier dinners were all full and the other two "waitlisted." As a first time cruiser, my fear is that means that those are full as well. Dumb, I know. But a novice has dumb basic questions. Another question, we both have food allergies - is this something we need to consult with the cruiseline before we board, or deal with once we're on board? I'm both anxious and excited. We're both reakkt looking forward to the cruise and hope to make some connections before we sail, regardless of which cabin we end up in. I tried to find the Roll Call for this cruise, but being a newbie here, so far I haven't located one. Thanking you all in advance, Linda in DFW

Archived