Good visit on Martinique despite what some stated

airlink diva

Good afternoon, right now I'm on the Maasdam. I just returned from my day in Fort-de-France, Martinique.

Prior to my cruise, this was the one port where there was so limited infomation on what to do and about the island. Most of the comments about Martinique was that the people were rude. On two of my port stops, the local tour guides more of less stated that the people are very French and view the world from a French point of view. I came to the island not expecting alot, but end up having a very good time.

Due to the limited time we had in port (7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) I just decided to stay in the Fort-de-France area. When you get off the boat, there are several taxi drivers offering taxi service to Fort-de-France and island tours. Best advice for going into town, wait around to get several people in the van, much cheaper. The fee was $3. The taxi driver offered to do a tour around downtown, but everyone wanted to just go downtown.

You are dropped off at a small enclosed craft market. They offer t-shirts,local spices,dolls,painting est. I noticed several things, but wanted to walk around.

I then went to the tourist info station. I admit that this was the only place that I ran into someone rude and not willing to help. I had a map and wanted info to the supermarket. However the guy act like he did'nt understand and went off somewhere else.

I just left and walked around. I used the chruch as my base (you could see it above everything else quite well. I and just wandered the streets. I thought it was fun watching people and getting the local vibe. I stopped into a small bakery on one of the narrow street (don't ask me which one, I can't tell you). Everything look so yummy. I put a smile on my face and asked for two choclate crossiants in broken French. The shopkeeper was very nice and pointed to what I wanted. I had my caluator and use this to figure out how much in us dollars to give. I even got an extra pastry for my effort.

I next went to the open local market. The smell of all the wonderful spices was hard to put in writing. It was very earthly. I wander around enjoying this.

I then went to the local supermarket. I wish that I had euro with me. The tourist map show you the supermarket. The one that I went to was near the ferry. A very large selection of French wine and alot of cheese.

I went to the craft market again and purchase several art items. I walked along the ferry port area and then returned to the ship.

Yes the people are French. They are not just outgoing and all in your face. When I made an effort to speak and also smile, I was treated very nice.

The next time I come to Martinique, I will go out the city area. But the port was alot nicer that so many led me to think.

Just go in with a smile and try to speak the basic (Hello, thank you,etc) and you will be fine.

• 4 months later...

Hi Airlink,

Thanks for the review!

It sounds like you would get along anywhere you went!!

I have found the same thing , wear a big smile, realize you are guest in their country, and try to adapt to them , vs vica (is that a word)

"off subject" while in Cozumel, we were behind some other cruisers at a cash register , when the cashier told her the total in peso's, the lady asked "How much in real money" The look on the cashiers face made you want to cry, it was not a look of meanness, but of hurtness, as if the wage she works hard for, to feed her family, pay her bills, was not "real money"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been 5 years since we were in Martinique, but it was one of my favorite stops on that trip. Our tour guide was very friendly, knowledgable, and funny.

It's a shame that so many negative comments scare others going to the place.

We went to Hawaii and cruised on NCLA. I was very afraid - almost to the point where I didn't want to go - because of the comments I read. We didn't experience any of the bad things reported. Now I know to take comments with a grain of salt and remember that MY attitude may have had something to do with the POSITIVE experience I had. :)

Glad you had a good time in Martinique. Like you, I'd love to visit the island again :cool: .

• 1 year later...
We rented a car & drove around the island. We speak no French at all. Had no problem, just make sure you know where to take the car back to. Like everyone has said, just smile real big. We enjoyed the island.

Glad to hear that!! I look forward to returning to Martinique again!! I will most likey rent a car and drive around!!

I think that I also enjoy Martinique because it's not as touristy as St. Thomas.

Archived