opinion: London day tour with or without Covent Gardens?

I am looking into a full day London tour - changing of guard, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London.....EvanEvans tours do a tour with lunch - and golden tours also with a lunch but also include time/walking tour in covent Garden.........

Just wondering how much value would be in covent Garden - or would it be fun to break the "monument" day with that.....I don't want to take away from the Tower or Abbey tour.......both are well -rated, probably the most popular....

any opinions or help in making my decision?

CJcruzer

My constant advice: Don't pack too much into a day. You'll just end up seeing next to nothing of too many places.

Covent Garden is largely a shopping and commercial area. Some places there have some history attached to them, but it's not really the same as a serious historical location like the Tower or the Abbey.

FWIW, my personal top tip for a walking tour in the Covent Garden area would be to go on a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House. If you've got any interest in how theatre works, whether or not you're an opera/ballet buff, this is usually a very interesting experience - much more so than the usual tourist stuff.

actually that day is my only full day in London - pre cruise.....the one company is also offering a special with that for London Eye after the days touring....

I think it's a bout 1/2 hour guided walk with some history of the area.....lunch in the area - but the other tour would have had lunch on the South Bank - so that amount of time is probably equal.....

CJcruzer

I am looking into a full day London tour - changing of guard, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London.....EvanEvans tours do a tour with lunch - and golden tours also with a lunch but also include time/walking tour in covent Garden.........

Just wondering how much value would be in covent Garden - or would it be fun to break the "monument" day with that.....I don't want to take away from the Tower or Abbey tour.......both are well -rated, probably the most popular....

CJcruzer

A lot of this can be done on your own, which lets you set your own pace, choose where you want to eat, and decide when it's time to stop! It's also probably cheaper to do it on your own. But it requires some preparation, and you might be willing to pay for the convenience and knowledge of a guide.

Yes, Covent Garden is a bit touristy now, but it's a lot of fun (especially some of the street performers). But I'd advise doing it on your own, rather than paying for a guide.

FWIW, my personal top tip for a walking tour in the Covent Garden area would be to go on a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House. If you've got any interest in how theatre works, whether or not you're an opera/ballet buff, this is usually a very interesting experience - much more so than the usual tourist stuff.

I hadn't realized that they had backstage tours here. We're theatre buffs (primarily musical theatre), but backstage tours are really enjoyable. Thanks for pointing this out, and for the link; we'll probably visit when we're in London this summer.

I really like EvanEvans but have you also considered a hop on/hop off bus tour? You get to see most of the city and can visit whatever tourist spot you like at your own leisure.

http://www.bigbus.co.uk

http://www.thebigbus.com

Also the hop on busses offer a Thames river cruise, I'm not sure if it's free (it may be) or the charge to add it only a few pounds for after your cruise.

The lunch thing would be a put off for me but I do think the guide will be very good and will be able to answer any personal questions.

Would going to Covent Garden after the tour be an option? Or do you already have plans for the evening? You can buy a combo ticket for the Eye and the Thames River cruise (leaves from a dock next to the Eye) for the evening.

Have a great trip,

Donna

've booked a tour with Golden Tours which has lunch included, covent garden and they had an online special discount if you got the tour with London Eye also~ - it was the best deal I'd seen so far....

Glad you enjoyed your Golden Tour - am looking forward to ours, they came highly recommended,

Thanks for all the info.

CJcruzer

• 1 month later...

We go to England for a month each year & a week in London and NEVER miss Covent Garden. It's close to most west end theatres, has great restaurants, daily markets (antiques on Monday in the Jubilee market building) and there are almost always buskers...entertainers for spare cash. Often they are drama, opera and music students from the local universities & quite good. If the weather is good (as it was for us April 25-May 2) there are outdoor cafes, a carousel and there was a tenor, a comedian with a tall unicycle and a string quartet. LovelY!!! One of our favorite places in London. Also like to have a pie at Porters.

Ruth

I fully agree.

However, a couple of practical points. You are not guaranteed to see the auditorium, as they may be using it for rehearsals.

Secondly, it isn't a "turn up and go" thing. You need to book in advance. www.royaloperahouse.org will take you to where you need to go.

I've done it and found it fascinating. During our tour we saw Darcey Bussell and Jonathon Cope being rehearsed by the Director of the Royal Ballet, for example.

Matthew

PS - if you're in London for the evening, then the Royal Opera at Covent Garden (or the Royal Ballet - same place) is worth a visit too. Evening dress isn't required.

We go to England for a month each year & a week in London and NEVER miss Covent Garden. It's close to most west end theatres, has great restaurants, daily markets (antiques on Monday in the Jubilee market building) and there are almost always buskers...entertainers for spare cash. Often they are drama, opera and music students from the local universities & quite good. If the weather is good (as it was for us April 25-May 2) there are outdoor cafes, a carousel and there was a tenor, a comedian with a tall unicycle and a string quartet. LovelY!!! One of our favorite places in London. Also like to have a pie at Porters.

Ruth

I think it is kitsch and fake myself. I suppose we're all different! :D

Matthew

CJcruzer

To go back to the OP, the question was, would it be a fun break from all the monuments and history. Answer - YES.:D:D

It is lively and fun and teeming with energy and great if you have an hour or so for lunch and a look round.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived